Hi - recently got my FID and handgun permits.  I picked up a Beretta M9 and now looking to add a remington 700.

There are so many 700 models to choose from it's difficult to figure out what's important and what is not other than looks.

I would like the look of a wood stock and am leaning towards the BDL in 30-06.  

I was hoping for the heavy barrel barrel - which from what I've been reading is better for range shooting since it does not get as hot.

BDL doesn't appear to come with the heavy barrel. Is there a 700 model, wood stock and heavy barrel that I'm not seeing? 

Thanks

Hi - recently got my FID and handgun permits.  I picked up a Beretta M9 and now looking to add a remington 700.

There are so many 700 models to choose from it's difficult to figure out what's important and what is not other than looks.

I would like the look of a wood stock and am leaning towards the BDL in 30-06.  

I was hoping for the heavy barrel barrel - which from what I've been reading is better for range shooting since it does not get as hot.

BDL doesn't appear to come with the heavy barrel. Is there a 700 model, wood stock and heavy barrel that I'm not seeing? 

Thanks

Yes, the number of models is big. If your intent is for a wood-stocked BDL, they came with a heavy barrel in the "BDL Varmint" model. Calibers were .222, 223, .22-250, .243, 6mm, .25-06, & .308. There may have been other chamberings added. I'm sure you can find one used. These fell out of favor for synthetic-stocked models and the heavy barrel in various calibers as well as stainless steel models.

The more I read about new Remingtons, the less I want to own them, or any of the companies they bought (like Marlin). Quality control is supposedly in the toilet.

You have lots of other options for quality bolt action rifles, including older used Remmys.

I went with the Remington 700sps Tactical in .308. It has a Hague Overmolded stock, 20" heavy barrel, and has the hinged floor plate. I changed the floorplate out with a mag extended to get 7+1rds. The gun is accurate out to 800yds with a 10x mildot scope. I'm sure it can go a lot further.

I shot a Friend's BDL Custom Deluxe in 7mm Rem Mag.  A truly SWEET piece.  Cloverleafs at 100 yards!  It was around 30 years ago.  Remember to not trust the safety (unless it's been fixed) on the older ones!

I have a Remington 5R Milspec in .308 that is a tack driver. The 5Rs are out-of-the-box 1/2"moa rifles and there are many similar review from other satisfied owners.

The 5R models are nice. So are the 700P and 700LTR. I should've been more specific in my criticism. The higher end Remington stuff (Wingmaster and Police models, etc) seem to be less affected by the QC issues at Remington.

I have a Remington 5R Milspec in .308 that is a tack driver. The 5Rs are out-of-the-box 1/2"moa rifles and there are many similar review from other satisfied owners.

I ended up getting the 5R Milspec.

Next step is to get a scope mounted. Any recommendations?

I'd like to keep it under $500. I was thinking Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42

I don't have a ton of experience with scopes, but love the Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40 that i have on my .308 AR. I also like the bushmaster tactical elite 6-24x50 that i have on my rem 700 .308. The Leupold was about $299 and the bushmaster about $799. I prefer Leupold to Nikon, but i think they are interchangeable. Leupold is 100% made in the USA.