thegerb50

Xd40 vs m&p 40

Hi everyone, I did a search looking for a similar thread but was unable to locate one, I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before and I missed it while searching on my phone.

I am looking into getting a new handgun and have narrowed my choices to a Springfield XD 40 or a S&W M&P 40. I am looking for everyone's opinion on the two. Which one would most of you prefer? Any advantages, disadvantages, known issues with either?

Thanks in advance

John

You're asking for opinions.

My opinion is you should go and shoot both and decide for yourself which you like best. 

Keep in mind that rental guns are often "rode hard and put away wet" - or in simpler terms, not well cared for.  Best bet is to find one or two friends with each and offer to take them to the range so you can shoot their guns.

I've owned and sold an XD9 Tactical and XD45 Tactical and shot various models of XD including a .40 or two.  I own an M&P40 (also have an M&P9 barrel and mags) and an M&P45.

XD - Both my XD's were bought new.  I did not like the trigger, but, unlike the M&P, never investigated 3rd party options to make the trigger better.  While the XD45 was accurate, the XD9 was NOT.  I noticed that when I pulled the trigger very deliberately slowly, the rear of the slide would rise about 1mm.  This is the 1st, and only, pistol I've ever seen do that.  I whole heartedly believe this contributed to the bad accuracy that I saw.  On a really good day when I practice a bit, I can put 5 rounds into 1" at 15 yards on a G17, Sig P226 (9mm), HK USP45 and a few others.  Although, these days, it's more like 1.5".  The best I was able to do w/ the XD9T was about 5".  I found the slide very blocky and found it very hard to track the front sight during recoil as the slide tended to torque a bit and there was heavy muzzle flip, vs. the slight rise and straight back recoil of the M&P slide.  The grip on the XD9 reminded me of a High Power, which is a good thing.  I just couldn't get past the less than stellar accuracy during slow firing, and the feeling of fighting the pistol during a quicker pace of shooting.  Some people make an issue out of the grip safety.  It never bothered my one way or another.  IIRC, you couldn't rack the slide w/ the grip safety being pushed in.

M&P - Both my pistols, I bought used.  IIRC, the M&P40 is from 2008 or so.  When I bought the pistol, the trigger was horrible.  I went the route of getting the Apex sear and polished the internals as outlined on Dave Burwell's site.  This included a rounding the edges of the engagement area of the firing pin safety.  Now the trigger is superb.  I wish I could have this trigger on all my pistols.  I also put the in the Apex sear on the M&P45, but didn't spend as much time polishing.  The trigger, while better than stock, is not in the same league as the M&P40.  One thing I don't like about the M&P is in order to access the firing pin safety, you have to remove the rear sight.  On the M&P40, I've also slightly relieved the area under the trigger guard and flattened the front strap a little.  Anyway, the M&P has some of the best recoil characteristics I've found of any pistol, especially in .40 (comparative pistols include 1911's, Walther (PPQ, P99, P5), Glock's, XD's, HK USP's, Sig P series & SigPro & Beretta 92 & 96 series).  It tracks very nicely in recoil and is very easy to put out an accurate repeat shot.  Bringing the pistol up to line of sight, the sights are always "right there".  I think some of the parts used in the M&P could be better though.  I've read repeated accounts of slide stops breaking, firing pins breaking (this happened to me...just be sure to get a current generation one if buying used as these are supposed to very tough) and less than stellar accuracy on the 9mm's. Just to be clear though, even with my lavish praise of the M&P, I still like Glocks better.

Bottom line, between the XD and M&P, I'd easily go M&P.

Thank you all for your input. After going to the shop and holding both guns a few time I decided to get the M&P 40. I bought one from a forum member and shot it today. It is great I'm very happy with my decision. Thank you all for your input!

Doofus me didn't read down far enough.  Good choice and congrats!