W2MC

Beware of Cabela's Ammo - Herter's 7.62x39 is Corrosive

No photos....I was more concerned with getting the corrosion out of there than taking pictures of it. 

The boltface is now dark/pitted...I was able to get most of it out of the chamber.  that's about the only thing left to take a photo of.

Sometimes Russian non-corrosive ammo in Russian caliber turns out to be corrosive if it has been made by factory with gov orders.

There are no Russian military orders for  .223 and .308.

Mix of some components at 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 line occasionally happens. 

So I was at CJRPC today and shot the SKS with this stuff, and on the 8th round,  heard a bang but no cycle. Pulled back the carrier handle and  zowie--stick powder all over the place, in the chamber, bolt, magazine. Dropped the mag bottom to empty it and checked the barrel with a rod, bullet stuck in but easily poked out. Cleaned up with a rag and ran a boresnake thru to make sure nothing was left The case looked fine, the primer was not popped, Just the main charge did not fire in the cartridge, but the primer det enabled the case to be separated from the bullet. Weird. Shot another 51 rounds of the same Tula headstamped Herter's, without incident.  WOn't buy again, unless there's another panic