HareLikeARabbit

Looking to get a .22LR Bolt Action Rifle. Any Suggestions?

Hell all,

I am a new buyer and I am looking to get a .22LR bolt action rifle. I came across this Smith and Wesson M&P15-22 just shopping around. http://www.slickguns.com/product/smith-wesson-mp15-22-22-lr-16-barrel-10-rnd-compliant-41800 I was wondering if anyone had information they could share about this gun or any other rifles worth checking out?

Thanks.

The Hare

i will 23rd that Savage MK II. :-) You can go very cheap and get a great shooting bolt action.  I also have an older Marlin, but they have all gotten pretty bad in quality in recent times. Savage is the best budget bolt around. Do consider putting optics or tech sights on them though, the blade sites are not the easiest to use. I have a 4X scope on mine and it is fun shooting out to 100 yards. a 3-9x is even better. For battle sight type setup, look at http://www.tech-sights.com/sav200.htm

I have a Marlin XT-22TSR that I've been pleased with.  It's tube fed and I like the fact that I can run any .22 ammo thru it.  With shorts, you can fit a bunch of ammo in there too.  I forget exactly how many, but it's quite a bit.  I also have a couple cylinder-tube speed loaders that makes it nice to load.  I load these up at home, so when I'm at the range, loading is quick and easy.

XT-22TSR-70823_zpsd5b6a03e.jpg

812768_zps5186c6dd.jpg

Many folks use 22lr bolts as a practice platform for their higher caliber rifles. If so, purchase decision will depend on the rifle you want to match.

If you want a rifle that you can just pick up and shoot, I think the CZ is a great option: I have a couple just for that.

There are also some specialized options. For example a CMP Kimber 82g is a fairly hefty choice.

Yet another vote for a CZ 452, or one of their other models of .22 (I think the 452 was replaced by another model).  Great, great value and a superb quality rifle -- accurate, beautiful woodwork, good sights.  Really the best .22 bolt action for casual plinking and small game hunting, and some competition as well.

Lots of great bolt .22s out there. I like the Savage line because you can get whatever you want from factory, plus they're affordable and live up to the motto "The Definition of Accuracy." I went with the MKII BTV (blued, thumb hole stock, varmint heavy barrel) and added a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 & Harris Bi-Pod. Highly recommended.

I have a savage mark II I got of of here it has aftermarket laminated wood stock that weighs as much if not more then the actual gun it is accurate and love the trigger it also feeds super colibri rounds fine which all I hear is bolt release and when the round hits

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've got a Marlin XT-22 and it is a fun plinker.  I wish I'd gotten the heavy barrel version (and may still do so in the future), but I still enjoy shooting it, and there is nothing wrong with my gun.  I threw a scope and bipod on there and shoot at 100 yards with good results from bulk ammo.  I've been very happy with it considering it was a $180 rifle.  Most of the XT-22s out there are magazine fed, and mags are dirt cheap.

I recently got a good deal on a Savage 93R series, which is the 'magnum' version of the Savage Mark II.  Based on the 93R and my other Savage guns, the Mark II rifles should be excellent, and I'm planning to get one myself... 

I don't think you can go wrong with anything listed in this thread...  .22s are always fun to shoot...

(or were, when you could find them...:( )