AlDente67

Gutter helmet? Do they work?

I'm tired of climbing a ladder and scooping out the tree debris at least twice a year.  Does anyone have gutter helmets and do they work as advertised?

As an alternative, I heard that replacing the standard residential 4" gutter and downspout with a larger 5" offers enough extra capacity that the debris doesn't get stuck in there nearly as much.

Any thoughts?

We've had them for several years and they work.. Haven't had to clean the gutters since they were installed. The only negative is that in the winter you can get some pretty impressive icicles, but if they are not over a door way it just adds to the winter scenery.

Also "Harry Helmet" (the local dealer) has been very good about fixing the wind storm damage we've had in the past few years.

They work to an extent,  but depending on what you have around you, there may still be stuff that makes it in, then you have to pull off the guards to clean the gutters. Also, over time shingle dibris will make it in there...  I was thinking about getting them, but honestly, is cleaning the gutters 2 times a year that big of a deal?

I went to using an electric leaf blower to clean my gutters. It takes me longer to get the equipment setup than it does to blow out the gutters and then I get to clean all the other assorted junk off the roof as well as doing a joint, seam and shingle check.

I went to using an electric leaf blower to clean my gutters. It takes me longer to get the equipment setup than it does to blow out the gutters and then I get to clean all the other assorted junk off the roof as well as doing a joint, seam and shingle check.

I don't think it is wise to do a Joint on the roof.

You can also check out Leafguard gutters. They are a one piece replacement gutter that wraps around the top to block debris from entering. My parents have had them for ~20 years and haven't had any issues other than the icicles mentioned above.

but honestly, is cleaning the gutters 2 times a year that big of a deal?

For me?  Yes.  I'm afraid of heights so I won't wander around the roof, so I have to drag out a ladder that weighs around 9000 pounds (one of those 40' steel ladders).  I'm just getting cranky and old.

lol i hear ya, it is a pain to clean them sometimes.  I dont mind the low sections of my roof, but i hate doing the 2nd story gutters myself. 

I have heard good things about the new foam ones that fit directly into the gutter that someone else mentioned..

They also make a new product, almost like a permeable foam that sits in the gutters. Water passes through, but debris can't physically enter the gutter. The name escapes me at the moment.

I'll preface my opinion saying that my property is covered with big oaks, and huge pitch pines. I used to clean guttesr 4x a year or more. Fall sucks. Summer, not as bad.

These foam things stunk in my application. It all depends on your tree cover and type. Within a year of installing these, I had tree sprouts shooting up rooted in the foam. I tore them out of my first floor gutters and threw them away!

I'd rather climb the 10 foot ladder each month than deal with the messy appearance.(on my first level)

Also, most gutter guards do not stop roofing grit or pine needles - making them not 100% maintenence free. I still have them on my upper gutters but still need to pull them up once a year to rinse the pine needles and grit out. And yes, they make spectacular icicles!

One other thing you may notice with gutter guards is roof staining. Anything that sits in the gutters rots, and if you drain a high roof onto a low roof, you'll get shingle staining from the rotting vegetation that escapes in rain flow.

If you are not surrounded by trees, you might get away with these products. I am not thrilled with them...

My garage sits under a variety of trees from a large catalpa that drops huge leaves and pods, a run o the mill maple and a nasty acacia. For years i had to clean the gutters out bi annually and got pretty fed up. I put some simple shields i found at HD that are a plastic cover with coarse holes backed by a fine screen and that keeps both the big and little stuff out permanently.  Some people complain of the water spilling over but i dont notice it as much since its a garage and the pitch is mild. May not be suitable for larger/steeper applications though.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-Snap-In-Filter-White-Gutter-Guard-86270BX/100520851#.UhaH9z-9JqM

The "Gutter Helmet" they advertise on TV will come to your house and his initial quote to us was around $30k .. I kid you not.

Then they try to work you down to 10k or 20k  by saying  you'll be a model home or something.  Keep in  mind the gutters and

leaders themselves would  only cost around 1500.

We had a different kind of gutter shield put over our gutters instead.  Solid metal, wraps over the edge of the gutter leaving a

gap so surface tension moves the water into the gutter.  I forget how much extra it was, but the whole project was under 3k, I may

be mistaken on how much was the gutters and how much for the gutter shield.

Problem is, as has been stated, lots of overflow during the rainy season, massive icicles during the freezing weather and of course it's worse during the subsequent thaw as they drip drip drip  on your head.  Screws up the landscaping too.

Personally I would never buy another house on a lot with trees again. The shade is nice but the attendant crap falling off them, mildew, bugs, etc. just isn't worth it.   Plan on power washing and painting your siding and deck every year for example.  Plus the

added bonus that they fall on your house and wires at the most inopportune times.

I regret buying the gutter shield it would have been better having the "Ned Davis " franchise come around and scoop them a few times a year.  It is a poor ROI in other words.

Yeah I guess they must scam a few dopes into signing the long term contract for $xx a month.

It's got to be financed...nobody would pay that lump sum.

But some of these salesmen can really sell ice to eskimos, like timeshares and health club memberships (remember Ballys?)

My wife and I went to a timeshare presentation, laughed at the people signing the contract getting a round of applause and a chance to spin the prize wheel on stage followed by a limo ride back to the hotel (Las Vegas).

Of  course 2 hours later we're up there like 2 dopes spinning the wheel and got the limo ride.

Fortunately sanity prevailed and we went and rescinded the contract the next day.

Kept the complimentary bath robes however.  

Tahiti Village, the promoter went bk in 2008 but operationally the property still exists.

Sorry to get off topic!