Shawnmoore81

Ill be in Asbury park this weekend

If you're into playing pinball games, Silverball Museum is fun and right on the boardwalk.  Mogo has some good Korean fusion tacos.

This. Wife and I drive over at least once a month for pinball and tacos.

I laughed all the way down the thread, haha. But I do have to say, Asbury Park rocks!!!

You just have to know a little about the town while venturing around. It's like a miniature Brooklyn. Music, food, art, culture and the beach.  BUT..... Don't walk down the wrong block. The good parks of the town are in the shape of a hockey stick. Handle and shaft along the beach front, and Cookman Ave curves SW like the striking surface of the stick.

Definitely take your wife and kids down Cookman Ave. Gelato & candy shops galleries, restaurants, boutiques, coffee shops, bars, etc. There is a cool glass blowing shop with some awesome art. The beach has an Adult arcade bar and a bunch of cool shops and restaurants. The Berkeley is a beautiful historical building. There is a great restaurant and bar in the hotel called the Dauphin Grill. Awesome bar there with pool tables and a bunch of cool fish tanks. Have to check out Watermark for a drink after the Stone Pony across the street at the beach. Big deck over looking the ocean. Awesome for sunset appetizers and cocktails...

If you are there Sunday, across the street (behind) the Stone Pony is a place called Porta. They do Coal fired foods and have a great bar as well. Anyhow Sunday brunch at 11:30, they do some great eats. Ricotta vanilla bean pancakes with roasted walnut banana fosters maple syrup... Need I say more... Definitely have to take the family to Toast on Cookman for breakfast. Nuttella stuffed Challah bread french toast with strawberries... Brickwall Pub/Restaurant is a great place to take the kids for dinner. Huge beer selection with lots of micro brews and good comfort food.

Places you can't go wrong with...

Restaurants: Fish, Stella Marina, Porta, Langusta Lounge, Bistro Ole, Moonstruck, Cubacan, Dauphin Grill,  Carmines, Ivan and Andy's, Brando's

Bars: Watermark, Baca sports bar, Brickwall Tavern, Porta, Old Man Rafferty's, Bond St bar

Well honestly I'm not scared to go into a gay bar. I just prefer to be in a regular establishment.

My game plan is

1.check in

2. Wedding

3. Reception

4. Stone pony

5. Back to hotel

6. Sleep

Next day cruise around and check up the town a little and then go home. If there is a shopping area I'm sure my wife will find that. Maybe ill bring a fishing pole.

If you want to take your wife to a nice place to shop- go up to Long Branch (10 mins away) and park/shop in Pier village- its all outdoor shops on the beach.. my wife loves it there. http://www.piervillage.com/

the Berkley was a war hospital for ww2 .I've seen old movies from the 30s and 40s the boardwalk was crazy with people everywhere they even had a shooting gallery stand with bullets landing in the ocean Try that today. during the day you are good to go in that area. Consider main st./rt 71 like the Berlin wall guns and violence on the other side. in the 1980s to the 1990s the whole city was a total war zone .I saw an Opie and Anthony live show at the pony and the next day they claimed some terrorists were sent to bomb the town and they called home to tell them someone beat them to it

Ocean and Monmouth counties are in central nj as far as I can figure

I worked in asbury from 1993 till 2009 and my parents were there until 2012 we owned a restaurant. It can be bad you will realize when you are going into the wrong area. West of main is bad in most of the southern part of town. Main Street you are good. The train station area isn't the best at night. There's a good rock bar on main called the saint they have good local bands most weekend usually a cover maybe 10 bucks at the most. The town ha gotten better as the years have gone by but there is still a real bad element.

What bars does Bruce show up at?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Haven't heard of him being anywhere local in a while. I know we saw him one night playing pool up in red bank at a place that is no longer there. He goes to the pony sometimes. He used to go to fast lane once in a while before it closed. You would have a better chance of seeing him in red bank since his house is up in rumson

If you like punk rock/alternative music and PBR in a can, head over to Asbury Lanes. Bar/bands/bowling simultaneously.

Gf and I go to asbury lanes every once in a while. Always a good time and I learned how to manually score a bowling game there lol.

Shawn, I stayed at the Berkelely once. Its not bad but not great either. Rooms are on par with any other $200/night room.

If you want a nice place to grab a drink the watermark on the boardwalk has a very nice outdoor area that overlooks the boardwalk and beach.

I worked in asbury from 1993 till 2009 and my parents were there until 2012 we owned a restaurant. It can be bad you will realize when you are going into the wrong area. West of main is bad in most of the southern part of town. Main Street you are good. The train station area isn't the best at night. There's a good rock bar on main called the saint they have good local bands most weekend usually a cover maybe 10 bucks at the most. The town ha gotten better as the years have gone by but there is still a real bad element.

The saint is always a good time. Just park close...

If you're into playing pinball games, Silverball Museum is fun and right on the boardwalk.  Mogo has some good Korean fusion tacos.

When my kid gets together with her HS friends, the Korean tacos are a "must do".

http://www.eatmogo.com/

The boardwalk area is (mostly) okay between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I always see a few Class I POs patrolling the boardwalk.

My wife was working in Asbury Park during the July 1970 riots. She still reflexively locks the car doors whenever we're driving on Main Street. As was noted above, Main Street/Route 71 is an easy to recognize line of demarcation, at least on the south end of town. 

http://spotcrime.com/nj/asbury+park

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/asbury-park/crime/

At there taxis, trolleys or buses running all day?

I live in the area and there are great restaurants on the boardwalk: StellaMarina, Langosta Lounge...& on Cookman Ave: BRICKWALL, Baca, & Toast. Don't let people scare ya off...it's a great area but I do agree, don't go West of Main Street! You must check out Watermark-it's on the 2nd floor, above Cubacan(south side of boardwalk! Also MOGO's (Korean tacos) right next to Cubacan. I've never felt unsafe being in that area at night (female)! The hotel you are staying at is ok and is close to everything. It's not worth the $$ but they get away w/ that bc of how close they are to the beach! Have fun!!

ITs true the Berkely has some action 8.  THat place was a dump 7 years ago, they did a lot to it.  When I was in highschool AP was trash, nothing good about it, then it turned around a lot.  Like others have said, stay around cookman/lake ave (ONLY EAST OF MAIN STREET) and ocean ave, stay away from anywhere else!

Someone said its bad only west of main street, not true, its rough east of main also, around the monroe towers area... 

There are def some very nice places, watermark is really nice as said, but also a bit expensive..

I grew up in Shark River Hills (part of neptune) about 5 minutes away...

Bruce does quest appearances all the time at the Wonder Bar and the Stone Pony...

As for the Main St, there is no reason to be on it. Stay on Cookman and Ocean Ave. No real reasons to be on the other streets unless you are driving. Like I said, it's not a scary town at all. Just don't go out for a midnight stroll and you will be fine.

Like DextersMom said, Watermark is a must!!! Try to go there for the sunset. You will definitely enjoy it!!! Try the Watermark Lemonade, it's great!!!

What bars does Bruce show up at?