Shawnmoore81

Ill be in Asbury park this weekend

I worked in asbury from 1993 till 2009 and my parents were there until 2012 we owned a restaurant. It can be bad you will realize when you are going into the wrong area. West of main is bad in most of the southern part of town. Main Street you are good. The train station area isn't the best at night. There's a good rock bar on main called the saint they have good local bands most weekend usually a cover maybe 10 bucks at the most. The town ha gotten better as the years have gone by but there is still a real bad element.

Grew up bar tending at the old Clover Club (now the Saint). Was a wonderful education. Lol

that McDonalds was the only one I ever saw sell fried chicken on the bone

Oh man we were a test store for it. There were like 4 or 5 other stores in the ny region for it. The friers were a pain in the ass but chicken was some good stuff. Whenever we had a family party we would fry up two loads and bring it.

A) it's not north jersey...B)I hate north jersey as well...C)it's focking Asbury Park...that town will always suck for 3 reasons...1)the town council/politicians are so corrupt it's funny...2)80%+ of the people that live in AP do not own, they rent and are poor.  If AP improves, where are they gonna go? They won't be able to afford the rent to stay.....3) 80%+ of the people who own AP don't live there.  They make more money renting hell holes to Section 8 than they would fixing them up and trying to find better tenants..

Until those 3 issues are resolved, any money pumped in AP is simply on it's way to being wasted..

So I get back to my room and my door is wide open. So far nothing is missing but someone had to unlock it and the door automatically shuts unless you fully open the door and it catches.

I f***ing hate north jersey.

A) it's not north jersey...B)I hate north jersey as well...C)it's focking Asbury Park...that town will always suck for 3 reasons...1)the town council/politicians are so corrupt it's funny...2)80%+ of the people that live in AP do not own, they rent and are poor.  If AP improves, where are they gonna go? They won't be able to afford the rent to stay.....3) 80%+ of the people who own AP don't live there.  They make more money renting hell holes to Section 8 than they would fixing them up and trying to find better tenants..

Until those 3 issues are resolved, any money pumped in AP is simply on it's way to being wasted..

A.) The NJ Transit train line that serves Asbury Park (and down to Bay Head) is the "North Jersey Coast" line.

2.) Some problems have no solutions. The city has been in a downward spiral since the 1970 riots.

III.) The Asbury Park Convention Hall has some serious structural problems. (It's one of the "anchors" for Asbury Park's "renaissance".)

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/nj1015.com/files/2013/08/asbury-park-convention-hall.jpg

asbury-park-convention-hall.jpg

"One of the expressions I got into a lot of trouble with is that what Atlantic City needs is a bulldozer six blocks wide," he told me. "Now, it needs a bulldozer 12 blocks wide." (Reese Palley)

Also true for Asbury Park.

One thing that New Jersey has proven is that the economic model for "seaside resort/crime-infested ghetto" doesn't work awfully well. (Interesting that Atlantic City looks to Asbury Park for inspiration.) http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/other_counties/article_f0b873a0-be1b-11df-b208-001cc4c002e0.html

The geography of the Asbury Park area tends to funnel the AP problems south into Neptune Township (also an Abbott school district), rather than north. Ocean Grove (part of Neptune Township) actually locks the gates on the footbridges across Wesley Lake to Asbury Park at midnight.

http://www.asburyparkchamber.com/images/maps/apc_map_2013.jpg

apc_map_2013.jpg

Please. If you go by NJ transit, Trenton is "north east". Sorry not buying that for a second.

Also OG no longer closes the footbridges at night and if they did it hardly means anything. The lake isn't that far to walk around and both the boardwalk and Main Street can get anyone from AP to OG.

Everything has been great except for this hotel. It's not just me either. Everyone is pissed off. Other then that

Wedding was on the beach and the weather was perfect. Mcloones supper club is a nice spot. When we left there we walked across the street to the wonder bar. Then walked to the stone pony. Checked out the pinball museum on the way back.

Please. If you go by NJ transit, Trenton is "north east". Sorry not buying that for a second.

Also OG no longer closes the footbridges at night and if they did it hardly means anything. The lake isn't that far to walk around and both the boardwalk and Main Street can get anyone from AP to OG.

If they don't lock the bridges any more, it's just been since this past April. An informal poll suggested that most residents were not enthusiastic about leaving the bridges unlocked. http://blogfinger.net/2013/04/28/ocean-grove-poll-regarding-locking-the-bridges/

I'm generally in bed at midnight, so I can't say for certain what they do right now.

The AP boardwalk area is "mostly okay" -- between Memorial Day and Labor Day. I drive down to the beach most days to do my daily 5K, and I include AP during the summer months. During the rest of the year it's iffy. I've been panhandled as far south as the OG Boardwalk Pavilion -- so that's my limit the other 9 months of the year. I'm not worried for my safety -- it's just annoying.

I say it's "Monmouth County" when I'm asked. The train is the North Jersey Coast, but before that it was owned by the Central Railroad of New Jersey.

North Jersey Coast Line
NorthJerseyCoast.png?height=320&width=19

The North Jersey Coast Line is operated by the Newark Division of New Jersey Transit from New York Penn Station to Bay Head. Most trains operate between New York Penn Station and Long Branch, where electrification ends. Diesel shuttle trains connect at Long Branch for passengers continuing onto Bay Head. During the week, six round trip diesel trains operate between Hoboken Terminal directly to Bay Head using the Waterfront Connection. North Jersey Coast Line trains provide primary local service to the Northeast Corridor stations of Rahway, Linden, Elizabeth, and North Elizabeth during rush hour. The line is colored light blue and its symbol is a sailboat.

History

The New York & Long Branch Railroad built its line from Perth Amboy to Long Branch in 1875. The line to Bay Head was completed in 1881. The railroad came under control of the Central Railroad of New Jersey, but when the Pennsylvania Railroad had plans for a parallel line an agreement was reached where the line would be jointly owned by the two railroads. The line was electrified to South Amboy by the Pennsylvania in 1936 for direct service to New York Penn Station. The Pennsylvania merged with the New York Central in 1968 forming the Penn Central. The Jersey Central and Penn Central were later included in the formation of Conrail in 1976. New Jersey Transit took over the line in 1983 and extended the overhead electrification to Aberdeen. Electrification to Long Branch was completed in 1988.