5th4x4

Eyes and Ears

I figured it would be best to limit this topic to the rifle crew, since it makes no sense to clog up the thread with the pistol guys who wear carrier-deck grade headsets when they shoot ; )

Apparently only in the military can you run around poking each other's eyes out with a stick and get away with it. But here in the civilized world they make you protect your eyes.... and your ears. 

So in order to be properly (or minimally, or maximumly) protected for range shooting (shoulder-fired rifle of course) what do all of you wear when you shoot?

We can skip the designer Vera Wang gear, I'm thinking more along the lines of moderate to trailer-trash style.

I wear glasses with lenses made of ballistic polycarb so nothing off the shelf.  As for ears, Surefire Defenders under Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs.  I have a primary line of hearing protection that you can't get in NJ (suppressor) though between the Defender and HLs, it's a very decent and affordable combination with great protection.

Another vote for the Howard Leight R-01526 for long guns, along with $5.00 eye protection that works just fine for me.

Pistol shooting I like the Howard Leight Honeywell's here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BGSI5U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2/184-8735243-2339365?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=17Y4FCKD41N2A2E6MJVC&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_i=B001T7QJ9O

Yeah, I knew that the pistol headsets would be more hard-core (just because they can be).

I'll look into those for my wife. She's got a 38 that she still needs to shoot, and she's the type who needed to use foam earplugs for the Foo Fighters.... and we couldn't have been physically further from the stage if we had wanted to be (well, maybe if we had climbed back another 2 rows we could have).

And I'm the only guy who apparently has a problem with the stock of a long gun nudging the BOTTOM of muffs each time i shoulder so I'm distracted every time I long gun shoot with muffs

That's my fear.

(well, not "fear", but certainly a concern)

I must admit that I haven't been particularly kind to my ears during my lifetime, but if I'm going to be required to protect them, I'll certainly take on the task with a certain degree of seriousness. But I just don't want anything getting in the way.

Another vote for the Howard Leight R-01526 for long guns, along with $5.00 eye protection that works just fine for me.

Do tell.

Valid enough to pass the scrutiny of the range police?... or are you so regular that no one says anything to you?

I'm Cheap. I have a large bag of orange foam ear plugs I got from Home Depot. They reduce the noise by 23db. I have cheap ear muff's that do another 24db but I don't usually use those. Every set of earmuffs I've tried get in the way of my shooting. My eye protection is cheap Safety glasses that meet ANSI requirements. DVOR had tinted safety glasses, 20 for $8 so I use them for work, shooting, the beach and when they get scratches or busted I bust out a new pair.

Those look sharp.

The tint might be an issue for indoor shooting though(?). For iron sights, I mean.

Buy extra lens in yellow, great indoors or overcast day.

There is cheap and there is proven reliable.  The trick is finding the right balance.  However, one only has two eyes and two ears.

Same ones I use. If you stick them in right, they work for indoor shotgun and rifles....

All I use mostly.

I use these. Not the greatest protection, but adequate for me when shooting from a bench. I hate the way the ear muff type ride up.

http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Obviously I am trying to do this in a way that satisfies the range requirements as well as the health of my eyes and ears. So even though they've already seen - and heard - better days, 'skimping' on this can only go so far, since I'm not exactly done using them quite yet.

My latest reality is the additional costs associated with the range. And by that I mean the added peripheral costs:

Eye protection

Ear protection

Rifle bag/case

(am I missing anything else? Other than the actual range costs, of course)

Oh how I long for the days (post-Corps) of open desert Mad Max style ad-hoc ranges.

I use these. Not the greatest protection, but adequate for me when shooting from a bench.  I hate the way the ear muff type ride up.

http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html

Same ones I use. If you stick them in right, they work for indoor shotgun and rifles....

All I use mostly.

I gotta admit.... I was waiting for a "second" on that one 

(Hmmmmm..... Hmmmmm)

I have amplified Peltors too, but with rifle, they get in my way sometimes and they also make me sweat..... It's a matter of preference and conditions... ie, indoor/outdoor, hot/cold.... You'll find multiple answers and preferences. Everyone is different. This same conversation happened not too long ago with someone else. My right ear is already shell shot, so that helps... ;)

I gotta admit.... I was waiting for a "second" on that one (Hmmmmm..... Hmmmmm)
Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HDTypos courtesy Apple...

I gotta admit.... I was waiting for a "second" on that one 

(Hmmmmm..... Hmmmmm)

Again they are not the greatest, but after listening to music too loud and six years in the military they work okay. If I had perfect hearing I might opt for something better, but there are always trade offs. I would love to shoot suppressed....