fishnut

Jeep Wrangler Question

Ok guys I am still looking for a wrangler and I would like your opinions. I have been leaning towards a Rubicon but with my budget of 13,000 the ones I have found are getting a bit high in miles for me(over 100,000). So I have been considering getting a lower model wrangler with allot lower miles and with in my budget. This will not be an off road vehicle but it will be driven in the snow allot and it is not going to be a daily driver. Also I will be pulling a small light landscape trailer from time to time. My question is are the Rubicon's worth me getting a small loan for? Are they that much better than a lower model? I do like the way the Rubicon looks but I can put larger tires and a small lift kit on a lower model my self in the future. I know they come with the Dina 44 axles  but what else makes them better.

Thanks

Adam

The Rubicons are built to upgrade them to off-road status. With better axles and transfer cases. I'm actually gonna be buying one in September. the lower end models are the same thing minus those 2 features plus locking diff. the rock rails and tires. You can get a better wrangler for on road use with less money. The towing capacity is dependent on the transmission you pick. The manuals are better for towing. The automatics are 5 speed and are adjusted for fuel mileage. A Rubicon only offers upgrades for off road use. There is no point in buying a rubicon unless you take it off road, all those features become a waste otherwise.

What Jack said. Unless you are going off-roading climbing over rocks and impossible terrain, don't get the Rubicon. Like you said, you can probably get away with getting a Sport and just adding a bigger rim/tire combo, lift, etc.

PS - When you do find one you like, take a good look at the undercarriage. There are a lot of amateur off-roaders out there that think because they have a Wrangler they can go over anything and will often damage the undercarriage trying to go over rocks, etc. A few of the Wranglers I looked at that I liked that had a good body had a lot of scratches and rust across the undercarriage. Jeeps don't do well with rust.

The 4 door versions aren't true jeeps  :maninlove:

That said, definitely check the under carriage.  If it has a lift kit installed, find out details.  A lot of people will put the really cheap components on and expect to make their money back or get a profit when they sell.  It doesn't work that way. 

Check the common rust spots, if there's cancer already, be weary as it tends to spread quickly.  Depending on the model, check the differentials.  I've seen some completely misgeared and beat to hell.  If there's any vibration or sounds coming from them, stay far far away.

Take a good look at YJ's and TJ's. There's lots of good deals out there for rigs that are built up already.

A few things to check on a jeep, I have owned several TJs

Oil pan, it will probably have oil on the pan, every jeep I have owned leaked oil. None were excessive though. Brand new, it leaked oil. Just take a good look at it. Replacing a seal is pretty easy though.

Windshield weatherstripping, I had to have mine replaced a few times. Jeep always covered mine under warranty. It would pull away from the window and leak a little.

Pull up the carpets and look for water stains, mud, rust. If they left the floor plugs in, they probably didn't abuse it in the mud and puddles in the woods.

Look for caked on mud on the undercarriage and frame. Usually you can't get rid of it all.

Check for rust at all body seams.

Good luck. I miss my jeeps everyday. One day I will get another one.

I have a 1989 wrangler I'm lookin to sell has a 6.5 ft plow and enging is a rebuilt jasper engine 6000 miles

Needs a wheel alignment and trans leaks a little

Thing is a tank lookin to get 3200 for it if ur interested let me know

Inexpensive Wranglers are either high-mileage daily-drivers or beat-to-hell heaps. If you buy a better Jeep, even if it costs you more, It will pay you back with longevity. Even the base model wranglers are surprisingly good (fun) in the dirt. Tires and lifts are common upgrades. Wranglers are like AR's and Lego's, you can build them a million different ways.

If you are towing, than check the gear ratio. A numerically higher gear ratio will tow much better than the standard gearing will.

4-DOOR WRANGLERS ROCK!

As others have said no need for the Rubi unless you're going to do off road. Hell even a stock jeep is quite capable of doing a lot.

One other thing to check while doing a test drive is to check the 4 wheel drive. Be sure to check both 4 hi and lo. Especially lo, rookies tend to grind the gears cause you can't readily change on "the fly" like you can into hi.

Good luck on your search

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2