Sign in to follow this  
PeteF

Spray Case Lube

Going to try some of the Dillon spray lube, and was wondering how long after spraying can I wait before doing the sizing? 

By this I mean can I spray the cases at night, and then doing the sizing the next day or the day after?

I like the Lee water soluble lube although may say its not as convienient as a spray. Apply the lube, let it dry and size the cases next week if you want to. After sizing, wash the cases in hot water, dry and a short tumble if you feel you need it. Never any issue regarding lube inside or outside of the case.

4oz bottle liquid lanolin and a 16oz bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol (99% works better, with 91% may have to shake it before spraying).  Both can be found at health stores ($7.50 for lanolin and $2.50 for alcohol). Makes 20 oz in a quart spray bottle, lasts a long time. 

Alcohol is anhydrous, it will absorb moisture from the air, so it is important to close the bottle when not in use.

4oz bottle liquid lanolin and a 16oz bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol (99% works better, with 91% may have to shake it before spraying).  Both can be found at health stores ($7.50 for lanolin and $2.50 for alcohol). Makes 20 oz in a quart spray bottle, lasts a long time. 

Alcohol is anhydrous, it will absorb moisture from the air, so it is important to close the bottle when not in use.

Exactly.... Only I use "iso heet" which is supposedly 97-99% alcohol...

People are probably gonna get on me for this.  I just spray it on the the big bucket of clean brass I have, mix it by hand a few times, 

wait maybe 5 min or so mixing here and there and then I just start reloading.  Never been an issue for me and works fine.  I just am

too lazy to spread it on a pan and do all that work.  But again, that's just me.  Not saying it's the right way.

Nice..... Thanks for posting

Use 99 %  alcohol works much better.  Gentle heating (flammable warnings apply) in a hot water bath while mixing makes for easier blending.  Do it outside, heated alcohol is a terror on the lungs.

I've been using Imperial wax lately and I love it, no need to wait for the spray to dry.  Just rub a little bit on your thumb and index finger and and as you pick up the cartridge, it transfers to it.

Well, I use 'royal' wax, but this is also what I do. Also it smells nice. 

I don't use lube on pistol cases period. I haven't had a stuck case yet. I understand that lubing makes the process a little easier with resistance but I haven't seen a need for it.

I would say you are I'm the minority on not lubing pistol cases. It makes it much easier, especially cases like 9mm. Less wear and tear on the press, your arm and its easier on the brass so you get more reloads per case. For a minimal cost but a big benefit why wouldn't you? Makes no sense to me.

I don't use lube on pistol cases period.  I haven't had a stuck case yet.  I understand that lubing makes the process a little easier with resistance but I haven't seen a need for it.

I presume you use carbide dies.  They're available for straight-wall pistol cases, and eliminate the need for case lube.  They're the only way to go, in my opinion.

That said, they still sell a lot of steel dies for pistol calibers.  If that's what you've got, you need to lube the cases before resizing.   That's a heads-up for anyone thinking of starting to reload.

I presume you use carbide dies. They're available for straight-wall pistol cases, and eliminate the need for case lube. They're the only way to go, in my opinion.

That said, they still sell a lot of steel dies for pistol calibers. If that's what you've got, you need to lube the cases before resizing. That's a heads-up for anyone thinking of starting to reload.

Yes carbide sizing dies in all of my pistol calibers, not just straight wall.

I like the Lee water soluble lube although may say its not as convienient as a spray. Apply the lube, let it dry and size the cases next week if you want to. After sizing, wash the cases in hot water, dry and a short tumble if you feel you need it. Never any issue regarding lube inside or outside of the case.

I also use Lee. I squirt a little into a small spray bottle from the dollar store, dilute it with water, and spray it on the brass.

This is fantastic info... Mind making a new thread to the tune of "my home-made case lube solution" that we can sticky?

Pistol yes, necked rifle no.. the aerosol at least is a guarantee of a stuck case. 

While I certainly haven't loaded even a fraction of the amount of rifle rounds as you, I'm up to about 300 rounds of .223/5.56 using One Shot(non aerosol) with Lee dies and haven't been anywhere near a stuck case yet.

This is fantastic info... Mind making a new thread to the tune of "my home-made case lube solution" that we can sticky?

As soon as I get back on-line. Using an old laptop B/U now. My day to day HP let the "blue smoke" out on me on Friday, so I'm a little at a lost for my files at the moment.

While I certainly haven't loaded even a fraction of the amount of rifle rounds as you, I'm up to about 300 rounds of .223/5.56 using One Shot(non aerosol) with Lee dies and haven't been anywhere near a stuck case yet.

Same here, no issues at all with .223 and one shot. My .308 are a little tougher.