xero42084

City of plainfield FID/P2P requirements change?

I recently went to my local police department to apply for more P2Ps. they gave me this checklist.

3POf7H3.jpg

Are parts of section A new? I dont remember having to give a proof of residence as a utility bill, and my social security card.

And if I have an FID from them that they recently approved me for ( about a year and a half ago ) and they already have all my info on file, why would I need to give them more copies? They also copied my DL and FID when I went to pick up the application.

Just curious, any info would be much appreciated. thanks.

The Plainfield police want you to do their job for them while they studiously ignore the law. Yes, every applicant is to be investigated, but form or content cannot legally be added to the application process. If this is a subsequent application (you already have had a P2P or you already have your FPID), the application process consists of:

• STS-033 Application form
  • SBI-212A Non-criminal background check form
  • SP-066 Consent for mental health check form

Upon intake, show your ID (DL, passport) and that's it.

This puts you between a rock and a hard place. Depends on how far you want to push it - it could go as far as them being charged with official misconduct. Maybe make an appointment with the chief, a town council person or the mayor and express your reservations and show them the law. As I said - it's up to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for the info, I did post on the NJ2AS facebook page, but I really want these permits to come fast becasue I've got my eye on something I want.

My FID took about 6-7 months and don't want to wait for P2P that long either. I don't agree with the added requirements, and hope that the P2Ps come fast.

but I'm going to drop it off tomorrow.

That's your option, of course.

Still, remember that what they are doing is ILLEGAL, it may not be a CRIME as defined by NJ law, but keep these sorts of things in mind when dealing with the police. If they are so willing to lard on extra requirements on you in violation of the statutes so openly, what else are they willing to do, possibly also in violation of the law?

The biggest concern is Part E.

1. Looking up prior arrests and complaints is THEIR job and it's much easier for them* than for you.

2. If your neighbor 30 years ago filed a complaint against you that you don't even know or forgot about, say goodbye to your 2nd amendment rights.

*as easy as typing your name and pulling up your rap sheet. Literally 30 seconds.

1. Looking up prior arrests and complaints is THEIR job and it's much easier for them* than for you.

2. If your neighbor 30 years ago filed a complaint against you that you don't even know or forgot about, say goodbye to your 2nd amendment rights.

*as easy as typing your name and pulling up your rap sheet. Literally 30 seconds.

Maybe its not them wanting him to do the work for them. Maybe they want people to make a mistake so they can deny applicants. The entire process was not designed to approve people for access to firearms, it was designed to deny people access to firearms.

make an appt with the police chief and/or mayor and show them the law.  Being familiar with municipal politics, this will be enough as no town has the funds or stomach for the type of lawsuit this brings.  As for the complaints from 30yrs ago, you guys are kidding right?

My thoughts exactly.