PeteF

Recoil spring wear

How do you tell it's time to replace the recoil springs in a gun? 

After a nice day at the range I stripped my sig 220 .45 and my 226 .40 for cleaning.  Both guns have the green factory springs in them.  I noticed that the spring from the 220 was ~1/2 an inch shorter than the one from the 226.  Same number of coils just compressed. While shooting I'd had no problems with the function of the 220.

Just wondering if I should replace the spring now as a maintenance item, or wait until I have an issue.  I use it as a range gun.

Typically following a Preventative Maintenance (PM) schedule while keeping a log will let you know when to change wear items. Barring PM, you will know it is time to swap recoil springs when you start having malfunctions, or your ejection pattern gets all wonky.

I would not look at the comparison of spring length of two different models of pistols in different calibers and make any inferences regarding service life of the part, as you are comparing apples to baseballs.

When you buy your new springs take note of their length before installation. That will also give you a benchmark to measure spring wear over time.

My buddy is really into Sig's.  I believe he has 7 or so at last count.  He's taken the armorer's course.  I believe the recommended change out interval for the recoil spring is 5,000 cycles.  I mention cycles and not rounds since when one dry fires, that counts as a cycle on the recoil spring.  I wear out more recoil springs because of dry firing vs. actual firing.

Around that 4k round count I would probably preventively change out the springs to avoid any future problems...I don't have a Sig so I don't know if those springs are pricey...but the adage an ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure might be appropriate here...

My buddy is really into Sig's.  I believe he has 7 or so at last count.  He's taken the armorer's course.  I believe the recommended change out interval for the recoil spring is 5,000 cycles.  I mention cycles and not rounds since when one dry fires, that counts as a cycle on the recoil spring.  I wear out more recoil springs because of dry firing vs. actual firing.

Good point on spring wear, but it's mostly the mainspring (hammer spring) that gets a workout when dry firing, right?   I don't own a Sig, but with the 1911 dryfiring means a lot of hammer drops, not much slide racking.

Good point on spring wear, but it's mostly the mainspring (hammer spring) that gets a workout when dry firing, right?   I don't own a Sig, but with the 1911 dryfiring means a lot of hammer drops, not much slide racking.

Good point.  I was think Glocks, as you have to pull the slide back a bit to reset the trigger.

Around that 4k round count I would probably preventively change out the springs to avoid any future problems...I don't have a Sig so I don't know if those springs are pricey...but the adage an ounce of prevueention equals a pound of cure might be appropriate here...

Thats what I decided to do. No sense risking damaging a 1k gun for a 7 buck spring.