Sign in to follow this  
Grapeshot

Does anyone know a good gunsmith in the Flemington area?

Now that we will be allowed to hunt squirrel and rabbit with a pellet rifle, I was sighting in my RWS model 45 this weekend and found that it kept drifting. I removed the scope and discovered that 2 of the 3 screws securing the dovetail to the receiver were sheared off (see attached pic). Spring air rifles are known to be hell on scopes and mounts due to their dual recoil, but this is the first time I've seen anything like this. I need someone to remove the screws and replace with new ones. Any suggestions?

post-5637-0-93277500-1377525398_thumb.jpg

Sportsman Rendezvous has a gunsmith, I know nothing about him http://sportsmansrendezvous.com/Gunsmith.html

Heritage Guild in Easton has a gunsmith, his name is Skip, I had him do something for me months ago

Sarco also has a gunsmith,

Will a grabit screw remover work?  you could use that yourself.  Maybe dremel-ing a slot into the screw to use a flat head and back it out?

These are real tiny screws, and are sitting below the surface of the dovetail, so Dremel won't work. Has anyone used a Grabit on screws this small (<1/16")? If you look at the picture, the two snapped off screws are the two on the right - and this is a 3/8" dovetail.

On another note, I am learning that there are gunsmiths, and then there are air gun smiths. Some gunsmiths won't touch an air rifle. Sent a note to Umarex yesterday (the current importers of RWS), still waiting for an answer. RWS air rifles are supposed to have a "limited lifetime warantee"; not sure what that means. This one was built in '81.

I am not too far from Flemington and would also be interested in this.  I'd really like someone to take a look at my Remington 700 for me as I have a few questions/concerns. 

As it happens , maybe 2-3 weeks ago my father and I hit u[p Sportsmans Rendezvous for the first time and the people were very nice.  I did not ask who was who or inquire about a gunsmith but just chatted here and there, checked out what was what.  They had plenty of ammo all over the place , tons of stuff that was often obscure calibers and/or hunting stuff (.35 Whelen anybody? .45-70 & .357 H&H?  I don't even know what a Whelen is.).

They had several crates full of .22, Winchester which I don't mess with but also one of my favs, CCI SV.  But it was like $65 a box or something like that so I could not get any, I don't NEED any and thats' just way too much unless absolute emergency imho.  But there was cases of it.

anyway I'd also be interested if anyone knows this guy or other gunsmiths in this general area, I'm mercer cty but Flemington is basically one town over.

I don't even know what a Whelen is

It's obligatory that every rifleman and hunter know who Townsend Whelen was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townsend_Whelen

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2006/06/great-american-hunters-townsend-whelen

His two famous quotes:

• "Only accurate rifles are interesting".
  • "The .30-06 is never a mistake".