Newtonian

Leading in a .22 revolver

I have a S&W 617 ten-shot revolver chambered in .22 lr. I've successfully shot many types of ammo through it -- approximately 3500 rounds. I clean it every 400-500 rounds.

Two weeks ago, after shooting about 150 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt through the gun, I could no longer hit the broad side of a barn. The gun was filthy, and on cleaning it I could not get a brush through -- in fact it got stuck. On inspecting the barrel, I saw a ton of crud that turned out to be lead. Conservatively, there was about 20% of a bullet in there, all within an inch of the breach.

I carefully removed the lead and was finally able to clean the bore.

Last Friday at CR I shot about 100 quality CCI rounds through. I inspected the barrel using my trusty flashlight and everything was fine -- barely any powder either. I then switched to the Remington, and after 60-70 rounds I could barely hit a 6-inch target at 15 yards.

On cleaning I noticed the same lead problem. I'm staring at a pile of it as I type this.

This Friday I will shoot only quality ammo through the gun and see what happens.

But still: Is this due to the cylinder not being properly aligned with the barrel? Or is it crappy ammo? Should this EVER happen with a quality revolver and standard factory ammunition?

BTW, this gun freezes up if I try shooting .22 shorts through it, but it works fine with Aguila powderless rounds.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

They don't call them Remington Thunderturds for nothin'.

Stick to CCI, Federal, and Winchester and you'll do much better.

You really need to run a good solvent and something like this (http://frontiermetalcleaner.com/) to clean the bore.  I have heard copper chore boys work as well, but I have used this cleaner for years and not just on guns.  Hydraulic cylinders, chromed pieces, etc.

You then need to begin to treat the barrel with something to slow down the leading problem. I use Tetra lube. Treatment over time has made a big difference in the barrel of my high speed paper punching equipment

More then likely it's just because of the cheap lead ammo.... Especially if it's in the barrel.

If it was excessive leading on the foward face of the cylinder and forcing cone, I'd say check your timing and lockup.

The cylinder stop should engage the notch on the cylinder before the hammer falls. Pull the trigger very slowly to test out

And what do you mean the gun locks up with 22 shorts? are the rounds rubbing against the frame?

I usually shoot a quality lead (not plated) bullet in my 617 and have had no problems. However, the most I shoot a range session is 150-200 rds and it gets cleaned after every session. Never have any problem shooting shorts either.

You may have a timing problem and if so it should be evident by slowly dry firing the gun.

I had this happen to me with a Ruger Mark II and thunderbolts.  Took me a while to figure out what happened.

What I think happened is that I left the rounds in the sun for a while, they got really really hot and all the lubrication on the lead bullets essentially dripped and wicked off of the bullets.

Thunderbolts aren't plated so they require lube to keep them sliding through the barrel without smearing lead all over the place.

When you are shooting lead without any plating or jacketing on it, it needs lube.

So if you left your thunderbolts in direct sunlight for a while, there's your problem.

In the future, shoot plated rounds or if you shoot lead keep them in the shade so the lube stays intact.  You might be able to save the rounds you currently have by rubbing some crisco on the bullets before loading.

I tried thunderbolt .22's JUST ONCE......  Gave the rest away to someone who was gonna shoot 'em out of a NAA Derringer, so if they didn't hit the Barn, that was to be expected.  Thunderbolt is serious Old School:  maybe shoot a box of 50 and then go home to clean for hours!  I knew one Old Coot who swore by using mercury in his barrel to get the lead out!

And FWIW, here's a tip to get the cylinder's chambers clean:  go buy yourself a pistol brush for a .25 Raven and use that for the chambers!  You can watch the lead fly out as you scrub with a good lead solvent when using a .25 brush.  Saves HOURS of your time and lets you "stay in the game" even with an occasional dry brushing during a Match!

Kman is also right about the lube problem, so if you intend on using the rest of this CRAP ammo, slick the barrel up with some gun oil PRIOR to shooting the thunderbolts and you'll have a little less leading.

Dave

They don't call them Remington Thunderturds for nothin'.

You really need to run a good solvent and something like this (http://frontiermetalcleaner.com/) to clean the bore. 

Thanks. I will try the chore boys (I have the generic version). But I'm telling you, I could not even get a brush through.

I usually shoot a quality lead (not plated) bullet in my 617 and have had no problems. However, the most I shoot a range session is 150-200 rds and it gets cleaned after every session. Never have any problem shooting shorts either.

You may have a timing problem and if so it should be evident by slowly dry firing the gun.

The 400-500 rounds between cleaning was when I first got the gun, through purchasing the Thunderbirds. 

I will only use quality rounds from now on. I thought revolvers were forgiving in that regard   :(

And what do you mean the gun locks up with 22 shorts? are the rounds rubbing against the frame?

I don't remember the brand. I still have a few hundred. All I know is the barrel froze up. I made sure the rounds were seated properly.

Personally, from what I've seen on YouTube (maybe i get too much info from there) these guns can be finicky.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I'm new to this so I appreciate all your help.

I'll follow up after Friday. I plan to put 200 rounds of CCI and/or Aguila through it. I suspect it will be fine, that I'll be hitting 1/4" groups at 700 yards.   :)

Anyone want about 2100 rounds of Thunderbird? Not the drink, the round. Just $200 per brick :) No, seriously, make me a reasonable offer. I paid like $.07 per round plus shipping. No secrets here: You know what's wrong with the ammo.

Caveat emptor.

The 400-500 rounds between cleaning was when I first got the gun, through purchasing the Thunderbirds. 

I will only use quality rounds from now on. I thought revolvers were forgiving in that regard   :(

Revolvers are forgiving but will fail if filled up with crap.

Postscript: Put 250 rounds of Aguila "Match" Pistol LRN ammo through the S&W 617 today. I shot it as well as I can shoot, maybe even a tad better :)

AMM-058.jpg

Normal powder residue on the cylinder. No lead at all in the barrel, which looked clean and shiny afterward. Brush went through normally, just like old times. Very happy I won't have to send this gun back. Or clean it until next week. 

How do y'all think those "Thunderturds" will cycle through a high quality bolt-action .22 rifle??? Worth trying?

Thanks again for all your helpful comments.

It has been my experance that the Standard Velocity and the Target Standard Velocity Agulia shoot almost identical. Groups are excellent. You can buy cases of Agulia through Civilian Marksman Program (CPM) if you are a member. Supply is tight now but you can order for future delivery. I have shot around 15,000 rounds of both of these and it is an excellent ammo. Never any lead buildup and it burns clean.