Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
db1775

Shotguns: Single-Shot or Pump-Action?

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a slug gun for use this deer season (hopefully), and would like some opinions. 

Right now I am down to deciding between these two, which are where my budget is at:

Mossberg 500 Slugster: http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-slugster/52273?u_field_prod_sight_type=Integral+Scope-Base+Cantilever@220&nodeRef=2330,2331,2333,2335,2336&redirect=1&filterNodes=2333,2335

H&R  Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe: http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=sb2-988

I was just wondering if there are any pros/cons that I haven't yet considered in using a single-shot for hunting and would appreciate some input from veteran hunters.

Thanks,

Dan

H&r all day. I have a 20ga ultra slug hunter and its a TACK driver out to 100 yards. If your looking for a dedicated slug gun I don't think you will find much better especially considering the price of them.

Thank you for the input!! So, 20 ga is good enough for deer? I was on the fence about this too.This would be a gun I might like to eventually pass down to one of my kids, so that is a consideration as well.

I should also add, in all my years of hunting I have never got more then one shot off other then drives with buckshot. As with anything else, shot placement is key.

If you plan on deer hunting with a club that does drives, you wouldn't want either of those.  You would need a good repeating shotgun that shoots 12 gauge buckshot well.

You should really base your shotgun off the land you intend on hunting. If you're in thick cover with shorter(40yds and closer) shots, go with the Mossberg 500 and buckshot. If you're planning on reaching out a bit further, you simply can't beat the value of the H&R USH. Also, as a VERY proud owner of a 12ga USH, buy the 20ga instead. I wish I did, but I'm too stubborn to sell my 12 and replace it now.

I'll give you another alternative.  I like side by side 12 gauges, smooth bore for the "occasional" slug hunting.  You can load 12g slug on the right, and 00 buck on the left.  If you miss and they move, you've got a follow up shot well suited for a running or wounded deer even in brush.  The land I hunt on is not open fields and clear, but deep woods covered with brush.  Slugs are great if you cut nice big shooting alleys now through Nov, but I like having a second shot to make sure the animal is quickly downed. 

Realistically I don't even find shots out to 60+ yards, as there is too much cover to get a clean shot.  So I'm shooting in the 40 yard range anyway, and a smooth bore side by each shoots slugs to 40 yards very accurately.  Past 40 yards, the pattern isn't as nice. 

But like you, I've always wanted a "dedicated slug gun".  I haven't pulled the trigger on that purchase yet. 

Ultra Slug Hunter deluxe in 20GA.... GREAT gun.  I've taken deer at 130 yrds with it and it's incredibly accurate.  I've read reports of people being accurate with them out to almost 200 yrds!  Just throw a decent slug gun scope on it and you're good to go.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By SIGMan Freud
      With so many registered shoots going on, I thought I'd try a new range in South Jersey and visited Quinton in Salem County and have since gone back.
      It's a nice facility overall, offering Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays and 5-Stand. I've been there twice for Trap and Sporting Clays and both were busy, but not crowded. On the Trap field, the shooters were pretty laid back and friendly and the woman, Lisa, who was running the show was super helpful. I went with my son and both being new to Trap, I appreciated the advice from the guys just hanging out. It's the kind of place that gets a lot of regulars and they sit around and chew the fat and, when there's enough for a squad, or when Lisa is trying to fill a squad, someone will get up and join. You know there are regulars when a shooter goes down into the trap house to check on the trap or set it up for doubles. It was a pretty good mix of people, yeah, plenty of middle-aged and elderly men, but a few women and juniors as well.  It was a very comfortable place to shoot and I recommend it, though it is a haul (for me) being so far south. 
      They only have one Sporting Clay course as far as I know and it's nicely laid out in the woods along winding, stoned paths. We found the presentations fairly hard - definitely more difficult than the Woods course at Cedar Creek, for example. Lots of longer distance targets. 
      I don't shoot skeet but they have a couple of skeet ranges that look to be in good condition. I've not seen anyone on the skeet range either time I've been there.
      Prices per round weren't bad - $30 for 100 Sporting Clays and $5 for a round of Trap (non-member prices). Clubhouses are nice. No ammo for sale.
    • By High Exposure
      I was debating putting this in the Handgun or the Shotgun forum. Mods, if you think it will get better traffic there, please move it.

So, my buddy just picked one of these up after a long back and forth conversation with NJSP. They said he was good to go as long as it was on a Pistol Permit:

http://www.blackacestactical.com

Thought some of you guys may be interested.

I have no clue as to the quality, reliability, or function of this platform. I just thought it was cool that it was good to go in NJ. A rare exception to the "If you have to ask in Jersey" clause.
    • By NicePants
      Looking for a decent shotgun, preferably one with a full-length magazine tube/20" barrel. Not really interested in a pistol grip only configuration. I don't have a super big budget for this. Looking to spend around $300 or a slight bit more than that.
    • By SIGMan Freud
      I haven't shot a shotgun in years (and never clay), but I've got it in my head to give it a go as I'm a little bored shooting at paper targets.

So where does one go to get started? Just go to a trap facility, for example, and order a rack of clays and just have at it? (That sounds expensive). Find a class or instructor somewhere? I'm in South Jersey and I came across Pine Valley (which doesn't seem to offer instruction that I can see). Also found a place called Cedar Creek in Millville that looks to offer personal instruction. 

Appreciate any advice to a novice (shotgunner). 

Thanks!
    • By NJGF
      I am confused about the specs for shotguns.

I am comparing two Mossberg pump action 590a1 shotguns:

An 18.5" barrel model has an overall length of 39.5" and holds 6 shells (+ 1 in the chamber).
      http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-7-shot-50776/

A 20" barrel model has an overall length of 41" and hold 8 shells (+ 1 in the chamber). It is 1.5" longer than the 18" barrel and 1.5" longer overall length.
      http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a1-9-shot-51660/

Both magazine tubes seem to go the full length of the barrel. So how does adding 1.5" to the barrel length add 2 more 2.75" shell capacity?

The only thing I can think of is that the magazines have plugs to limit the number of shells but I am not sure why they would do this.

Thanks.
    • Let's give it to the same team that will be charged with getting all the transgender bathrooms set up and enforce compliance with same. I'm sure they won't take three months to get around to setting it up, or enforcing compliance.
    • http://gunforhire.com/blog/2017/07/23/gun-hire-radio-broadcast-episode-321/
    • I did just that.  It's next to impossible to get individual email addresses however so I sent it to a general address to the Superintendent I found on the main site.  I can only assume it'll work its way down to the proper people.   I want to add that of all that was shown to me it was clear that the reason for my delay was that the barracks I'm forced to work with did not pick up their mail for several weeks.  I had politicians and the Attorney General in on this.  It was when I re-called the Sargent in Trenton that helped me and told him that The Barracks said he was wrong and picked up their mail nightly that he got pissed enough to call them and got it straight for me. I then got it 4 days later.  I'm convinced that no political pressure can motivate any of these people as they are too insulated from consequences to care.  In my case they manged to anger one of their own and in this case one with juice.  I can only imagine what will happen for my next go around after embarrassing and angering the people I did.  We'll see....   For all of the time and expense involved, and in this I includes time lost from work, I think this process should be removed from the individual barrack's hands and be done at a separate station of some sort set up for just this.  NJ is a large state in population but not in square miles.  One could be almost anywhere in circa 90 minutes.  I would be willing to travel to a point where this could be arraigned just to knock it out.  After all we do it for finger prints.  Just a thought.....    
    • Whats unusual to you?  I have an ar in 277 im lookkbg to dump
    •   Just a thought, by asking for the top names you will get the best, but you'll pay three times the price of a very good long lasting AR. Many still want the best, but I don't see myself going to war anytime soon. Troy makes great high quality uppers, they go on sale at DSG for pretty good prices. Put together a lower, you can use a stripped Anderson, a ALG ACT trigger, and a parts kit from midwestpx.com.