Sign in to follow this  
db1775

Shotguns: Single-Shot or Pump-Action?

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a slug gun for use this deer season (hopefully), and would like some opinions. 

Right now I am down to deciding between these two, which are where my budget is at:

Mossberg 500 Slugster: http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-slugster/52273?u_field_prod_sight_type=Integral+Scope-Base+Cantilever@220&nodeRef=2330,2331,2333,2335,2336&redirect=1&filterNodes=2333,2335

H&R  Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe: http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=sb2-988

I was just wondering if there are any pros/cons that I haven't yet considered in using a single-shot for hunting and would appreciate some input from veteran hunters.

Thanks,

Dan

H&r all day. I have a 20ga ultra slug hunter and its a TACK driver out to 100 yards. If your looking for a dedicated slug gun I don't think you will find much better especially considering the price of them.

Thank you for the input!! So, 20 ga is good enough for deer? I was on the fence about this too.This would be a gun I might like to eventually pass down to one of my kids, so that is a consideration as well.

I should also add, in all my years of hunting I have never got more then one shot off other then drives with buckshot. As with anything else, shot placement is key.

If you plan on deer hunting with a club that does drives, you wouldn't want either of those.  You would need a good repeating shotgun that shoots 12 gauge buckshot well.

You should really base your shotgun off the land you intend on hunting. If you're in thick cover with shorter(40yds and closer) shots, go with the Mossberg 500 and buckshot. If you're planning on reaching out a bit further, you simply can't beat the value of the H&R USH. Also, as a VERY proud owner of a 12ga USH, buy the 20ga instead. I wish I did, but I'm too stubborn to sell my 12 and replace it now.

Remember, though, that NJ's hunting regs require rifle sights on your shotgun if you're shooting slugs.  

This. Unless you have a rear sight or a scope on that double-barrel, it is not legal in NJ.

Ultra Slug Hunter deluxe in 20GA.... GREAT gun.  I've taken deer at 130 yrds with it and it's incredibly accurate.  I've read reports of people being accurate with them out to almost 200 yrds!  Just throw a decent slug gun scope on it and you're good to go.