I'm relatively new and getting back into the sport after a long hiatus. I picked up two p2p's last year and picked up a Glock 23 and a Browning Buckmark Hunter. I figured one carries a decent punch and the other makes for inexpensive practice when you can find 22lr.

I recently put in for a few more p2p's. I was wondering what others here would recommend I research as my possible next purchases.

I've been considering a Bodyguard .380 or a 1911 but at this point I'm totally open.

On a side note does the Gen 4 recoil spring truly knock down the kick of the .40. I don't feel it as being particularly snappy and prior to purchase I read some people didn't like it.

Before purchase I rented a G22 (slightly heavier) and didn't find it all the bad.

Thanks all!

Oh - and I'm really enjoying the forum!

My vote is the 1911 as it is a very different shooting experience than anything else.  

380 is actually quite expensive truth be told.  Well I guess so is 45 ACP, but I'd rather

shoot 45 than 380. That's just me.  

Don't know about the dual recoil spring reducing recoil.  I have heard from other owners

that they can tell a difference.  But that's the best report you'll get from me.  I really do 

like the Gen 4 grip, look, and adjustable back strap.  I have a Gen 4 34 and it is really nice.

IMHO, if you want the Bodyguard because you like the way it looks and you just *want* it, then buy it.  If you want a great carry gun, then buy it.  

Else, stay away.  The Bodyguard is a bad-breath range self-defense weapon.  It uses .380 ammunition which is hard to find right now and expensive even if you do find it.  It's recoil is like hi-fiving a sledgehammer.  It is by no means a fun range gun.  It's not an accurate gun.  It's not a great HD gun.  

One of the things I've noticed is that its best to start with a caliber and stick with it.  I've reduced my calibers to .22, 9mm and .45.  This simplifies the logistics of purchasing, and quite honestly prevents trouble when you go to the range with the wrong box of ammo for the wrong gun.

Since you have a Glock 23, you should consider sticking with .40 Cal.  There are 1911's made in .40 S&W.  STI makes them.  I'm pretty sure Para Ordnance makes them as well, but I'm at work and can't check.

My vote is the 1911 as it is a very different shooting experience than anything else.

380 is actually quite expensive truth be told. Well I guess so is 45 ACP, but I'd rather

Don't know about the dual recoil spring reducing recoil. I have heard from other owners

that they can tell a difference. But that's the best report you'll get from me. I really do

like the Gen 4 grip, look, and adjustable back strap. I have a Gen 4 34 and it is really nice.

I always vote for the 1911. My very first gun and still my favorite to shoot. It's just a beautiful gun to fire. Very accurate.

I will always say if you dont have one..get a 1911. Everybody needs one...or ten

Another vote for the 1911

yeah, that.

One of the things I've noticed is that its best to start with a caliber and stick with it.  I've reduced my calibers to .22, 9mm and .45.  This simplifies the logistics of purchasing, and quite honestly prevents trouble when you go to the range with the wrong box of ammo for the wrong gun.

Since you have a Glock 23, you should consider sticking with .40 Cal.  There are 1911's made in .40 S&W.  STI makes them.  I'm pretty sure Para Ordnance makes them as well, but I'm at work and can't check.

+1. Did the same with 22 & 9. Much easier for me to buy bulk for only 2 calibers than 3 or 5; don't know why. Downside, I passed up a few good deals on interesting guns. Upside, "What ammo shortage?"

Look at CZ 75B in 9mm for a tack driver of a gun. If you have never heard of them you will after doing a bit of reading and inquiring about handguns.

For home defense I believe revolvers make the most sense, especially for newbies ( such as myself). Can't beat the value and reliability of a Ruger GP100. Smith and Wesson 686 will be smoother out of the box than the Ruger but will be more expensive.

Best idea is to rent or meet some people willing to let you shoot theirs. Get a feel for a few different guns and see which you shoot better.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Re: Caliber consolidation. 

There seem to be two camps on that. The first, as expressed above is toward simplification..

The other is that by having guns in various calibers, when one gets scarce, you should still have some practice ammo available in one of the others.  

380 is actually quite expensive truth be told. Well I guess so is 45 ACP, but I'd rather

Don't know about the dual recoil spring reducing recoil. I have heard from other owners

that they can tell a difference. But that's the best report you'll get from me. I really do

like the Gen 4 grip, look, and adjustable back strap. I have a Gen 4 34 and it is really nice.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed... I have several calibers. I just bought a Bodyguard 380 and hate it. 2 days old and back at S & W. I have SEVERAL 1911s, wheelies, and tupperwares... LOL. Worst purchase was the Bodyguard. Recoil is not enjoyable...

Re: Caliber consolidation.

There seem to be two camps on that. The first, as expressed above is toward simplification..

The other is that by having guns in various calibers, when one gets scarce, you should still have some practice ammo available in one of the others.

LOL....When I was getting my 1st handgun a few months ago and considering the .327 Magnum version of the Ruger GP 100 a few told me not to get it b/c ammo would be hard to find. Go on the websites and reasonable price .357 & .38 all out of stock.....but found plenty of .327! Just recently purchased 10 boxes of .32 long wad cutters for $16.99 a box. Guess what Heritage Guild in Easton almost always has on the self (unless I just bought the last box & they'll get more in soon)......327 ammo.

Guess it could be a good idea to have a slightly different caliber than everyone else. I may still get a Ruger GP 100 in .357 though b/c then I can get a lever action rifle that shoots the same ammo! Have seen a few people shooting them and they just look fun and cool!