Bully

Holster for a 625 JM?

I'm looking for a nice holster for a 625 JM. I am looking to game this gun a bit as my purchases are slowing down and I want to get more serious about shooting matches.

I don't have a HUGE budget for this stuff and will be buying a piece at a time, however the "Buy once, cry once" mentality is one I ascribe to.

I prefer leather but will go with kydex if that's more appropriate. I don't need to be the fastest guy out there but I won't want my equipment holding me back. I also will want something with a neutral cant as some of the places I'll be shooting require that the muzzle not break 180 even when holstered.

Suggestions?

C

I wonder what Jerry uses?

I know jerry uses a cr speed for steel challenge

if you are looking for the best all purpose on the cheap go worth a blade tech. Itll be legal in uspsa idpa and steel challenge

I use a DAA race master for uspsa. But they run around 200 - 250. Not legal for idpa

in steel challenge I use a cr speed race Holster

Just so damn ugly. Oh well, it seems as though that's the one to go with. I guess I'll get an order going on that in the next few.

I am holding off on going into the acronyms right now. I'll just be shooting steel matches at Tenafly to get into it and branching out from there. This seems like it should do me well.

C

Just so damn ugly. Oh well, it seems as though that's the one to go with. I guess I'll get an order going on that in the next few.

I am holding off on going into the acronyms right now. I'll just be shooting steel matches at Tenafly to get into it and branching out from there. This seems like it should do me well.

C

Yeh, the blade techs are pretty plain jane, but will work for everything across the board, though - idpa is the only game that limits to what sort of holster you can wear, uspsa and steel you can use just about anything.

Here is the DAA race master

Revolver1.jpg

It's a great holster, strong retention - and can be used with a variety of other guns by changing out the internal block that holds on to the trigger gaurd.

CR speed :

CRSPREV.jpg

The 625 is a great gun to have, it's the best gun for USPSA and IDPA, but for steel - it's probably your not so best option, 6 shots of .45 acp isnt great for steel challenge, one miss is all you get ! I'm a pretty crappy shot, so I use an 8 shot revolver with 38 special. You might want to look into the S&W 627 series as well.

-alec

The 625 is a great gun to have, it's the best gun for USPSA and IDPA, but for steel - it's probably your not so best option, 6 shots of .45 acp isnt great for steel challenge, one miss is all you get ! I'm a pretty crappy shot, so I use an 8 shot revolver with 38 special. You might want to look into the S&W 627 series as well.

-alec

I'm done for a while after this one. I don't make the loot like I used to. I'm fairly fast on reloads and again, I'm not looking to win anything. I'm mostly looking to have fun and shoot at more than paper.

C

Chris:

While I, too, would recommend a Blade Tech, if you have your heart set on leather, I am really partial to Milt Sparks. It takes a long time to get it, but worth the wait. For your criteria I'd go with the HSR in a straight drop...

http://www.miltsparks.com/HSR.htm

This similar to old school competition holsters and is suitable for both carry & competition. Buy once, cry once. You may end up with the Blade Tech just to hold you over until the MS HSR comes in.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I found these as well.  Wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

I briefly owned one of Sam's holsters and they are gorgeous.  He has a full on IPSC rig that I will not be buying as it's just too pricey for me.  Of the two, I like the Palmer for all around use.  In a straight drop.  However the hybrid saddle is really nice as well.

I like the Milt Sparks, too.  Really nice, thanks Bob.

C

Sam does do nice work. The Nelson style holster (the one he calls Palmer) has always been one of my favorite styles (MS makes one of these too - a BN55 - as do most holster makers).

Thanks.

1 last (for now) question:  Is there a big difference between the "auction site special" moon clips vs. something from TK Customs?  I'm gonna need something to shoot with and right now I'm looking for range use stuff.  For competition I'll get into the brand name clips and such but for general purpose is there a noticeable difference?  Also, how are the plastic clips for range use?  They seem to be much easier to load on a bench.  (I guess that was 2 questions, sorry)

C

Thanks.

1 last (for now) question:  Is there a big difference between the "auction site special" moon clips vs. something from TK Customs?  I'm gonna need something to shoot with and right now I'm looking for range use stuff.  For competition I'll get into the brand name clips and such but for general purpose is there a noticeable difference?  Also, how are the plastic clips for range use?  They seem to be much easier to load on a bench.  (I guess that was 2 questions, sorry)

C

For the 625 ( 6 shot 45 acp ) most are pretty much the same.  When you go into the 8 shot 38 moonclips there is a night and day difference between the cheap ones and quality pricey ones.

I buy my moonclips from

http://www.revolversupply.com/documents/moon_clips.html

dont bother with plastic/rubber ones... the real steel ones are cheap enough, buy 100 and they'll last you a long time.

You can load them by hand, i'd reccomend a loading tool though. Unloading them is difficult by hand though, get yourself the proper tools for loading and unloading moonclips properly, it'll save your fingers and extend the life of your moonclips.

Chris:

For the .45 ACP moonclips, Ranch Products is your best source. Only drawback is that they are old school. They have a website, but no on-line order capability. You have to take the phone number from the website and call them. You actually speak to a real human being. It's a cottage industry, so they don't answer the phone in "corporate speak". First time I called them, I thought I'd dialed a wrong number. Cheapest and best clips, outside of the Hearthco $7 each ones - which as Alec pointed out are unnecessary for the .45 ACP.

Here's the loading tool I (and Alec) use...

http://www.mooncliptool.com/

and here is a good demooner...

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/moonclip-accessories/extended-10mm-clip-stripper-sku352197100-6727-16388.aspx?mc_id=12000&ch=csh&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c7313_a_7c352197100_d_352197100_d_10094

Have fun with your 625.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Chris:

For the .45 ACP moonclips, Ranch Products is your best source. Only drawback is that they are old school. They have a website, but no on-line order capability. You have to take the phone number from the website and call them. You actually speak to a real human being. It's a cottage industry, so they don't answer the phone in "corporate speak". First time I called them, I thought I'd dialed a wrong number. Cheapest and best clips, outside of the Hearthco $7 each ones - which as Alec pointed out are unnecessary for the .45 ACP.

Here's the loading tool I (and Alec) use...

http://www.mooncliptool.com/

and here is a good demooner...

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/speedloaders-accessories/moonclip-accessories/extended-10mm-clip-stripper-sku352197100-6727-16388.aspx?mc_id=12000&ch=csh&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c7313_a_7c352197100_d_352197100_d_10094

Have fun with your 625.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I've got 625 clips from just about everybody.

Ranch Clips

Mooncliptool.com

revolver supply company

factory s&w clips

wilson clips

tk customs

hearthco

they are all pretty much exactly alike, aside from the tk / hearthco clips which are designed a little differently, they all load just as fast as the next. 

i've probably got 200-300 clips around, they're all mixed and I cant tell them apart ( minus the hearthcos ) 

they are all pretty much exactly alike, aside from the tk / hearthco clips which are designed a little differently, they all load just as fast as the next. 

i've probably got 200-300 clips around, they're all mixed and I cant tell them apart ( minus the hearthcos )

That's because, chances are, they were all made by Ranch Products.

I ordered 20 from Revolver Supply along with a de-mooner.  They showed up yesterday and seem just fine. 

As to the holster, I'm still looking.  I really like the HSR from Milt Sparks.  But, we'll see.  I'll be making my mind up by the end of the weekend.

C

Goin' with leather.

Andrews Saddle style.  Basically his pancake.  His work is awesome and he's a really nice guy to boot.  Plus, for reasons I'll reveal at a match if we meet up, I feel like I owe him one. 

Pics to follow.

C