djg0770

How to get your hunting license

So, you want to go hunting but you have no idea where to start?

In order to buy a hunting license you must take a state certified hunter training course.  The course the state administers is free.  Yes, it's free.

Here's how to get your hunter eduction started:

go here:

http://www.state.nj..../fgw/hunted.htm

go down to this part:  Where to Get Hunter Education Materials

You do not need to do the huntercourse.com - unless you want to (this is a course you have to pay for, and is not provided by the state)

Watch the video http://www.state.nj..../hntedvideo.htm

and fill out the workbook http://www.state.nj..../hntedvideo.htm  at the same time

You will need to bring (that's MUST BRING) the completed workbook to the Field Session.

You need to sign up for the field session:

https://www.nj.wildlifelicense.com/ALS/course/course_report.php

At certain times of the year, the field sessions fill up (usually right around hunting season).  In general though, they will not turn people away who just "show up" at the field sessions.

At the field session you will take a short multiple choice exam (easy if you watched the video and did the workbook)

Then you will proceed to the field session where they will (mostly) talk to you about how to hunt and track and safety, etc and then they will split into groups to go to the shotgun station, muzzleloader/rifle station and bow station.

You can elect to do only one station or all three.  I recommend that if you can, you do rifle and shotgun and if you have access to a bow that you do bow as well.

For rifle/muzzle loader and shotgun, the state will supply guns - and you are better off using their equipment.

For the bow portion you are expected to bring your own bow, and be proficient with it.  Your bow will be inspected to ensure that nothing is missing, that the strings are in good condition, etc.  I suggest that you go over your bow with a fine toothed comb.  Compound bows have E-clips at the pulley axles, if even just one E-clip is missing, you will not be permitted to use that bow.

Bow is the only discipline where you REALLY need to show that you can hit the target (reliably).

• Like 1

Just a note: This does not provide you with a hunting licence. This gets you a Hunter Education card which you need to show to get a licence. In order to get a hunting licence you need to go to a state licencing agent and PAY for your licence. The cost will depend on wha,t when, and where you want to hunt. Getting the Education Card is pretty straight forward, figuring out what to get and do next is when the mayhem ensues.

4 hours ago, EddieSMarkus said:

I want to know about how to get hunting licence.

A completed hunter education course or a resident license from NJ or any another state is required to obtain a NJ license.

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/hntlicfe.htm

On 8/28/2013 at 7:59 PM, djg0770 said:

So, you want to go hunting but you have no idea where to start?

In order to buy a hunting license you must take a state certified hunter training course.  The course the state administers is free.  Yes, it's free.

Here's how to get your hunter eduction started:

go here:

http://www.state.nj..../fgw/hunted.htm

go down to this part:  Where to Get Hunter Education Materials

You do not need to do the huntercourse.com - unless you want to (this is a course you have to pay for, and is not provided by the state)

Watch the video http://www.state.nj..../hntedvideo.htm

and fill out the workbook http://www.state.nj..../hntedvideo.htm  at the same time

You will need to bring (that's MUST BRING) the completed workbook to the Field Session.

You need to sign up for the field session:

https://www.nj.wildlifelicense.com/ALS/course/course_report.php

At certain times of the year, the field sessions fill up (usually right around hunting season).  In general though, they will not turn people away who just "show up" at the field sessions.

At the field session you will take a short multiple choice exam (easy if you watched the video and did the workbook)

Then you will proceed to the field session where they will (mostly) talk to you about how to hunt and track and safety, etc and then they will split into groups to go to the shotgun station, muzzleloader/rifle station and bow station.

You can elect to do only one station or all three.  I recommend that if you can, you do rifle and shotgun and if you have access to a bow that you do bow as well.

For rifle/muzzle loader and shotgun, the state will supply guns - and you are better off using their equipment.

For the bow portion you are expected to bring your own bow, and be proficient with it.  Your bow will be inspected to ensure that nothing is missing, that the strings are in good condition, etc.  I suggest that you go over your bow with a fine toothed comb.  Compound bows have E-clips at the pulley axles, if even just one E-clip is missing, you will not be permitted to use that bow.

Bow is the only discipline where you REALLY need to show that you can hit the target (reliably).

Passed my online exam, but no field sessions available yet. And can I bring a 12-gauge shotgun only, or do I have to use a muzzleloader too?   When do they resume? 

22 hours ago, SMOKIE901 said:
On 8/28/2013 at 7:59 PM, djg0770 said:

Passed my online exam, but no field sessions available yet. And can I bring a 12-gauge shotgun only, or do I have to use a muzzleloader too?   When do they resume?     

All this information is easily found on the NJ Fish and Game Web site, a quick google search would yield you the same results, most likely a lot faster.  

Archery Students Need to Bring:

• Face mask (and maintain social distance)

• Student’s own bow (Crossbow students must be able to draw their own crossbow manually or with a cocking device.)
        Is My Bow Ready for Hunter Education?

• Five (5) matched arrows

• Ability to shoot 3 out of 5 arrows into a vital zone of a 3-D deer target at 15-20 yards
Firearms Students Need to Bring

• Face mask (and maintain social distance)

• Cased shotgun (Division will provide one if needed/preferred)

• Eye and ear protection

• Also see Firearms Course FAQs

NOTE: Division will supply all ammunition - do NOT bring ammunition to the session

5 hours ago, Bomber said:

What if you had a hunting license but it expired? Do you still have to take the class?

Your CID number doesn’t expire. It’s a lifetime identification that you have completed the required courses. 

If you go into any location or the web site you’ll just have to buy a new license. 

1 hour ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Your CID number doesn’t expire. It’s a lifetime identification that you have completed the required courses. 

If you go into any location or the web site you’ll just have to buy a new license. 

It was a few years ago. I didn't take any courses, just walked in and purchased the license at Ramsey outdoor.

10 hours ago, Bomber said:

It was a few years ago. I didn't take any courses, just walked in and purchased the license at Ramsey outdoor.

Maybe using an apprentice license ? The system wouldn’t issue you a license without a CID or you were operating under an apprentice license. 

https://nj.aspirafocus.com/internetsales
go here enter your info and it’ll either let you purchase a new license or it won’t. 

3 hours ago, Danno said:

You may be confusing a license with a permit. You can get a permit or stamp at most outdoor stores. You cannot "buy" a hunting license. Your license doesn't expire, your permits and stamps do.

Your hunting or fishing license expires every calendar year, which you "buy." You provide your CID# or SSN to procure one. You must purchase a new license each year to fish or hunt. If you want to hunt specific species, you can purchase a woodcock stamp, a pheasant & quail stamp, a doe permit, a coyote/fox permit during the special season, a lottery muzzleloader permit for deer by zone, an archery permit by special season by zone, or apply for a lottery turkey permit for a specific week by zone, etc. Some are over the counter purchases; those that are lottery drawn you must apply for. You have to provide your CID # or SSN to apply for such.  

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/licenses.htm#hunting

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Parker said:

Your hunting or fishing license expires every calendar year, which you "buy." You provide your CID# or SSN to procure one. You must purchase a new license each year to fish or hunt.\

I don't hunt.

I got it to use the state range at Clinton.

https://www.huntercourse.com/usa/newjersey/

Is a FREE course to do from the comfort of your home. You have 90 days to complete and a 100 question exam to pass.

after you print any necessary paperwork, sign up for your field day exam. BOTH firearm and bow hunter safety are covered.

13 minutes ago, hostak126 said:

https://www.huntercourse.com/usa/newjersey/

Is a FREE course to do from the comfort of your home. You have 90 days to complete and a 100 question exam to pass.

after you print any necessary paperwork, sign up for your field day exam. BOTH firearm and bow hunter safety are covered.

Thanks for sharing.:good:

Took the course last year, after you complete the online test you print out a voucher that you bring to the field test (assuming you passed), the state has shotguns there or you can bring your own. The field test took all of 5 minutes, hit the clay don’t hit the clay, state shotgun had a safety, engage the safety, you pass. They give you a green voucher, take it to Dicks or any license agent and get your permit, bow and shotgun takes longer, don’t think you can do both on the same day, they split up the two groups, hardest part was finding an open slot to take the field test, had to drive 70 miles for an open slot.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

The field test took all of 5 minutes, hit the clay don’t hit the clay,

How many do they throw?

I'm usually good when I'm shooting clays with my kids, but I don't hit 100% of them...

14 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

How many do they throw?

I'm usually good when I'm shooting clays with my kids, but I don't hit 100% of them...

Don't need to hit any - just demonstrate safe handling.

For me, I nailed all 3 and they were like "yeah you got this"

• Like 1

The online course just helps you out with the field walk through. IMO, you're better off just doing the field walk through which is pretty quick, that online course takes a lot of time to complete, and I would have rather just done the walk through when I realized it. 

You still have to complete the safety stages and take the physical exam. 

The only course that requires proficiency is the bow. 

4 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

How many do they throw?

You will have a choice of using their gun or yours.  I recommend using theirs.  They were using Remington 20 gauge semi-autos when I took the test.  Three shots, loaded one at a time.

33 minutes ago, dilbert1967 said:

You will have a choice of using their gun or yours.  I recommend using theirs.  They were using Remington 20 gauge semi-autos when I took the test.  Three shots, loaded one at a time.

Probably the softest recoiling shotgun they can use... 

They gave you 3 clay, one at a time. The state gun I used was an over/under Remington 12 gauge, with a reload if you missed the first two. The young kids there they let take a few more shots with a 20 gauge pump so dad had ample time to video the experience. It really was more about safety and an enjoyable morning. I hit the first clay and the instructor said, ok you’re good, he then verified I engaged the safety and I was done, never got to pull the trigger twice.