rauchman

What are your experiences with a Gen4 Glock 9mm?

Greetings,

I've had a growing itch to get a Gen4 G17.  I have a variety of Glocks already, among them a Gen4 G23 and G21.  Really like the Gen4 attributes w/ the checkering, shorter grip frame, bigger mag release and better accuracy.  OTOH, I've read countless threads on problematic Gen4 9mm's.

What is your experience w/ a Gen4 9mm?  Is it reliable?  Do you like it?  Do have a reference of comparison from Gen3's and previous?

Thanks,

Ken

Greetings,

I've had a growing itch to get a Gen4 G17.  I have a variety of Glocks already, among them a Gen4 G23 and G21.  Really like the Gen4 attributes w/ the checkering, shorter grip frame, bigger mag release and better accuracy.  OTOH, I've read countless threads on problematic Gen4 9mm's.

What is your experience w/ a Gen4 9mm?  Is it reliable?  Do you like it?  Do have a reference of comparison from Gen3's and previous?

Thanks,

Ken

I have a gen4 g19 and its great...upgrade sights and you are golden.

I hate my Glock. The trigger is horrible. It's top heavy. I hate the feel of plastic.  It feels like a toy.

I'm going back to the 1911s.  

If you hate the plastic "toy" feel then why did you even bother picking up a glock?

I have a gen4 g19 and its great...upgrade sights and you are golden.

If you hate the plastic "toy" feel then why did you even bother picking up a glock?

I honestly try to like it but after 100s of rounds, my groupings have not improved at all.  It's the factory trigger. :-(

I honestly try to like it but after 100s of rounds, my groupings have not improved at all.  It's the factory trigger. :-(

If its the trigger that you feel is the problem just upgrade it. Sure its not the ammo or your shooting? I know snake hound machines make a nice trigger upgrade for glocks.

Greetings,

Thanks,

Ken

Ken, I personally don't find anything attractive with plastic guns. If you already have Glocks in other calibers why would you want another Glock? 

Glocks are fantastic & I would want one in extreme conditions.

I also view pistols as works of art.  1911s & revolvers are visually cool for me.

If my choice were a 17 or 19, I would get the 19 with a legal with 15 round magazine. The 17s sold in NJ have to drop back to a 10 round mag.

My wife likes the 19 Gen 4 a lot, and I have no objections.

The 9mm Gen 4 is a fine pistol...All the bugs have been worked out and there were some minor issues.

To the posters that don't like GLOCKs, so be it.  Don't shoot them you are entitled to your preference. But be rational.

If you like GLOCKs but can't shoot them well.  Learn to shoot them, they are capable of decent accuracy in stock form. It is you!

I own GLOCKs and other pistols as well.  GLOCKs are my defense pistols.  They work without a hiccup every time and I can shoot with lethality at 20yds repeatedly.

Show your friends your beautiful 1911s, show the bad guys your GLOCK.

The 9mm Gen 4 is a fine pistol...All the bugs have been worked out and there were some minor issues.

To the posters that don't like GLOCKs, so be it.  Don't shoot them you are entitled to your preference. But be rational.

If you like GLOCKs but can't shoot them well.  Learn to shoot them, they are capable of decent accuracy in stock form. It is you!

I own GLOCKs and other pistols as well.  GLOCKs are my defense pistols.  They work without a hiccup every time and I can shoot with lethality at 20yds repeatedly.

I agree with the last line :-)

I guess there's no sense complaining about tight groups when you use a Glock against the bad guy at 20 yards.  

I hate my Glock. The trigger is horrible. It's top heavy. I hate the feel of plastic.  It feels like a toy.

I'm going back to the 1911s.  

Totally understand your feelings about the Glock trigger.  My 1st Glock was a Gen3 G22 bought new sometime in the mid 90's. I HATED it.  Recoil was sharp and I wasn't anywhere near as accurate as I was on other platforms.  I sold the G22.  I read a lot about modern combat pistol shooting.  The more I read, the more I was convinced that Glock was onto something w/ their more extreme angle on their grip, low bore axis, consistent shot to shot trigger, etc.  A year or so later, I picked up a used Gen2 G19 expressly for the purpose of once and for all, becoming decent to good, on a Glock.  The more I shot the G19, the more I liked it.  I dry fired that pistol A LOT.  I'd drive my wife batty w/ the click of the trigger and the rack of the slide to reset the trigger.  I wore out 4 recoil spring assemblies & 3 trigger springs by dry firing alone.  I dry fired that pistol so much w/out snap caps, I shattered the breach area of the slide where the firing pin pokes through.  Glock replaced the slide w/ a Gen3 slide, making my Gen2 G19 kind of unique.  Ultimately though, my groups got considerably better.  On a good day, I could get 5 rounds into 1.5" at 15 yards.  To summarize, I found the Glock trigger the hardest trigger to learn.  Having somewhat learned it, I've become a fan.

Since there will be someone who doubt's my claim of the Gen2 G19 w/ shattered breach...

P1010019.jpg

If its the trigger that you feel is the problem just upgrade it. Sure its not the ammo or your shooting? I know snake hound machines make a nice trigger upgrade for glocks.

I respectfully disagree.  Put in the time to learn the trigger w/ lots of dry fire (w/ snap caps).  After you can get your groups down, then consider upgrades.  The ONLY upgrades I do to my Glocks are G17 smooth faced triggers (vs. the serrated face G19 triggers) and polish all contact points.  I've tried lightened connectors, heavier trigger springs (which makes for a lighter pull), NY trigger..... and always come back to a smooth faced trigger and polishing.

Maybe mickeyduck should try getting the tungston recoil spring & replace the plastic one. It helps with recoil & muzzle flip.

Please see comment above.

Ken, I personally don't find anything attractive with plastic guns. If you already have Glocks in other calibers why would you want another Glock? 

Glocks are fantastic & I would want one in extreme conditions.

I also view pistols as works of art.  1911s & revolvers are visually cool for me.

Totally understand your views on your preference for a metal gun.  I have a few myself and do like them.  However, I fully appreciate the attributes of polymer framed pistols as well.  Regarding my Glock fetish, I have 6 Glocks, 4 of them 9mm, one of those is a Gen2 G17.  I find that pistol's grip a little weird, and thus, my experimental desire to try a Gen4 G17 w/ the smaller grip frame front to back.  Also, the Gen4's have gained a rep for having better accuracy than previous Gen's.  I've seen multiple range reports of the Gen4 G17 having comparable accuracy to an HK or Sig 9mm, pistols that I hold in high regard w/ respect to accuracy.  Also, my main pistol is a G19.  I have a Gen2 (as mentioned above) and a Gen3 G19 for my HD, SHTF pistols.  I'm a firm believer of 2 is 1 and 1 is none w/ respect to guns for social purposes.  For this reason, a Gen4 G19 is also somewhere in the future.

If my choice were a 17 or 19, I would get the 19 with a legal with 15 round magazine. The 17s sold in NJ have to drop back to a 10 round mag.

My wife likes the 19 Gen 4 a lot, and I have no objections.

Understand your logic here.  However, I have 2 G19's already.  Also, I've found of any Glock, I shoot the G17 best.  Recoil is smoother, muzzle flip is less noticable and I'm more accurate on this platform.  I've toyed w/ the idea of chopping the G17 frame down to accept G19 mags.  Also, I'm not ruling out a Gen4 G19 somewhere down the road as well.  I'd consider swapping out my G26 for a Gen4 also.

Old School, you and I have to meet at the range one day to trade Glock stories.  Among the Glock faithful on this site, yours is among those opinions that I look forward to and respect.

Have a Gen 4 17, 34 and 26. Over 5,000 rounds between the three of them and not one malfunction. I'd trust them all.

Contemplating a high end 1911 or G21, can't believe I'm actually torn about the decision but the Glocks have been so good to me. Trigger is actually pretty good for rapid fire once you learn how to ride it, excellent reset with no creep if you practice. If you're shooting bullseye and start from a full trigger stroke every time you won't understand how good the Glock trigger can be.

G17 is my least favorite now, although it was my first. I use the 34 for gaming and the 26 for carry. The 17 is a HD safe queen, not bad for that purpose but its the only purpose it serves. Make sure you consider what it's use will be, as the other 9mm Glocks may serve the purpose better. If I had to get only one Glock I'd own a 19. Since I own 3 that serve specilized purposes I don't feel the need to own a 19.

I have a FDE gen4 G17 and love it. I put green/orange mepro sights on, did the whole trigger polish and ghost 3.5lb connector and love it. I would buy it again and again.

My Gen4, G17 was a jam-o-matic. I lost trust in it and sold it after the springs were changed out.

Having said that, I would still carry another Glock in the future.

This is NOT characteristic of a Glock. Something was defective or assembled incorrectly.

I have a gen 4 g17 and g23. Both are good out of the box.

I put in the glock oem 3.5 connector in both, and gen 3 smooth trigger bar , and now they are GREAT.

To the posters that don't like GLOCKs, so be it. Don't shoot them you are entitled to your preference. But be rational.

If you like GLOCKs but can't shoot them well. Learn to shoot them, they are capable of decent accuracy in stock form. It is you!

I own GLOCKs and other pistols as well. GLOCKs are my defense pistols. They work without a hiccup every time and I can shoot with lethality at 20yds repeatedly.

Practice practice practice

I also changed the sites made it a little easier

Have a Gen 4 17, 34 and 26. Over 5,000 rounds between the three of them and not one malfunction. I'd trust them all.

Contemplating a high end 1911 or G21, can't believe I'm actually torn about the decision but the Glocks have been so good to me. Trigger is actually pretty good for rapid fire once you learn how to ride it, excellent reset with no creep if you practice. If you're shooting bullseye and start from a full trigger stroke every time you won't understand how good the Glock trigger can be.

G17 is my least favorite now, although it was my first. I use the 34 for gaming and the 26 for carry. The 17 is a HD safe queen, not bad for that purpose but its the only purpose it serves. Make sure you consider what it's use will be, as the other 9mm Glocks may serve the purpose better. If I had to get only one Glock I'd own a 19. Since I own 3 that serve specilized purposes I don't feel the need to own a 19.

Excellent info.  Thanks!  What do you find the G17 lacks as compared to the G34?

The trigger feels slightly better and I like the longer sight radius. No real benefit to me beyond that, I'm partial to it because i practice with it and its what I'm been accustomed to. I used to shoot the 17 just as well but like anything else you get used to what you use most often. I'm also partial to it because I waited for over a year before it was available in Gen 4, made it that much sweeter once I purchased it.

Excellent info.  Thanks!  What do you find the G17 lacks as compared to the G34?

I wouldn't say the G17 "lacks" anything, but the longer sight radius of the G34 makes it easier to shoot more accurately.  A Gen 4 G34 is on my short list to buy.

I wouldn't expect a Gen 4 to have any noticable improvement in accuracy over a Gen 3.

I have a gen4 19 and 26.  Both are extremely reliable.  I've literally never had one failure - though my wife who weighs about 10 pounds did have a few failures with the 26. I think she was limp-wristing because we were taking turns and it would jam for her, but not for me.  I use my 19 for IDPA and it's never let me down.  

Excellent pistols that you cannot go wrong with, as another poster stated above the early Gen4's had some bugs that have been worked completely out of all the new production pistols. I carry a Gen3 19 and have a Gen4 17 and would trust my kids life on them. They are well balanced, accurate as all hell and the trigger is good right out of the box. They can me altered with a bit of knowhow or for a few bucks from a Glock armorer.

If I had to only choose 1 I would too also go with the 19.