Shocker

NJ Strikes again

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/29/senders-texts-to-drivers-can-be-held-liable-new-jersey-court-rules/?test=latestnews

So apparently if you text someone that you know is driving, and you "expect that they will read your text", it's your fault also if they crash. And who do we suppose gets to decide whether I expected that or not?

Seems like thought police again.

Won't hold up and fugg that couple. Yeah it really sucks you lost your legs but that does not mean you can sue anybody you want.

Actually, you can. Suing anybody you want is a centerpiece of our legal system

Going to a 'loser pays' model like most of the world would rein in the abuses we constantly see. But there are 200 lawyers in congress, one in the oval office, and 9 on the supreme court who are all heavily invested in making sure that never happens.

Actually, you can. Suing anybody you want is a centerpiece of our legal system

Going to a 'loser pays' model like most of the world would rein in the abuses we constantly see. But there are 200 lawyers in congress, one in the oval office, and 9 on the supreme court who are all heavily invested in making sure that never happens.

Well I mean like morally lol I know damn well people sue anyone they want for whatever reason they can think of.

Loser pays would be ideal, but then people would cry and say the rich would always win because they can afford better lawyers and blah blah.

Again this shows the problem with our society. No self responsibility. Its always somebody elses fault. I agree with the loser pays system but it will never happen

Bingo! I blew my stack when I heard this the other day. FOOK them! These arseholes are off their rockers! Just What the Frack is wrong with these scum sucking whores! I'm not a fan of texting, but if I'm sitting on my sofa and have no clue where someone is, how the fook does that remove their responsibility and put it on me? We seriously have to get all these bungholes out of office. It's no longer just about guns... :facepalm:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Bingo! I blew my stack when I heard this the other day. FOOK them! These arseholes are off their rockers! Just What the Frack is wrong with these scum sucking whores! I'm not a fan of texting, but if I'm sitting on my sofa and have no clue where someone is, how the fook does that remove their responsibility and put it on me? We seriously have to get all these bungholes out of office. It's no longer just about guns... :facepalm:

I believe you could be found civilly liable if shown that you knew the receiver was driving and would be distracted by the text. While I thi k this precedent is BS it is a pretty high bar.

That is pure BS. My assumption is that if I send someone a text I would expect they would wait until they are stopped to read it. But that is not the point anyway, it comes down to responsibility of the driver. What are they going to do next charge a sports commentator when some gets into an accident because the radio just announced a big play in a game and the driver was too busy listening to it on the radio and took their eyes off the road? This is pure horse sheeet!

i think we need to up the standards for lawyers. these assholes will try to sue for anything just hoping to cash in. there are hardly any lawyers with morals anymore. if i was one and this coupe came in and told me what they wanted to do i would have told them to stop bein such assholes and trying to ruin more lives.

I believe you could be found civilly liable if shown that you knew the receiver was driving and would be distracted by the text. While I thi k this precedent is BS it is a pretty high bar.

Civil schmival... People need to take responsibility for themselves and lawyers need to fook off with these frivolous bs suits!

Yep. They are out of control. Every block you turn down there is a lawyer building with multiple lawyers all fighting to make money off lawsuits. We are run by lawyers and sadly the tough competition they face pushes them to do things most people wouldn't do.

And as far as loser pays lawsuits, there would never be a loser as most cases will settle before the verdict just to avoid that.

i think we need to up the standards for lawyers. these assholes will try to sue for anything just hoping to cash in. there are hardly any lawyers with morals anymore. if i was one and this coupe came in and told me what they wanted to do i would have told them to stop bein such assholes and trying to ruin more lives.

Scenario:

You: Hey dude, where are you?

Dude B: Driving on an unlit stretch of the parkway in the pouring rain with bald tires, bad brakes, no headlights, drinking a beer, smoking a joint, forgot my glasses at home and my wipers don't really work anymore.

You: You shouldn't be driving like that.

Dude reads second text, kills a bunch of nuns and orphans in a church van.

Result:

You get sued.

BullSh*t -
Driver gets texted. He/she does not answer unless pulls over or pulled over. All is well!

Driver decides to answer, causes accident. Driver 100% responsible. Period!
Better yet, I invent software that disables your fooking cell phone from working while driving except for 911 calls.. Even better idea!

BullSh*t -

Driver gets texted. He/she does not answer unless pulls over or pulled over. All is well!

Better yet, I invent software that disables your fooking cell phone from working while driving except for 911 calls.. Even better idea!

Except for that whole.. "but I'm the passenger.  Why doesn't my phone work?!"-thing.  My onboard Nav won't allow address entry while the car is moving.. you know what that means?  It means my wife uses her iPhone for Nav when she's a passenger instead.

This problem could be largely mitigated if there was a hands/eyes-free equivalent solution for sending and receiving text messages.  Better integration with the car radio so that Siri could read me the text and allow me to vocally respond using bluetooth and the onboard microphone.

BullSh*t -

The driver is only 100% responsible if he has 100% of the money.  Scummy lawyers will go after the driver, the sender, the maker of the car, the maker of the phone, the worker who served the driver his burrito...

BullSh*t -

Driver gets texted. He/she does not answer unless pulls over or pulled over. All is well!Driver decides to answer, causes accident. Driver 100% responsible. Period!

+1

They have talked about this. Don't know if it exists, but people have mentioned using the GPS function to know when car is moving, then disable phone except for 911.

Except for that whole.. "but I'm the passenger.  Why doesn't my phone work?!"-thing.  My onboard Nav won't allow address entry while the car is moving.. you know what that means?  It means my wife uses her iPhone for Nav when she's a passenger instead.

This problem could be largely mitigated if there was a hands/eyes-free equivalent solution for sending and receiving text messages.  Better integration with the car radio so that Siri could read me the text and allow me to vocally respond using bluetooth and the onboard microphone.

I think the bigger problem is that a driver can not concentrate on driving AND something else at the same time.

Hands free is not the solution.

Amazing, the Fricken Nanny State.

Once again, a few stupid people and they make a law to punish and TAX (fine) the rest of the honest citizens.

Ayn Rand :

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws".

I think the bigger problem is that a driver can not concentrate on driving AND something else at the same time.

Then they're unfit to drive. I really am getting fed up paying for the mistakes of 3% in society. There is no perfect world, there is no utopia here on Earth and there will always be dumb people driving...will making more laws make them safer drivers? Drinking and driving is illegal, yet people still drink and drive. However, it's morphed into I can't [even] have one beer at a friend's house without quaking in my boots in fear of a DUI. So, who does it hurt? Using the entire "DUI" BS, we now have Unconstitutional check points, searches and seizures. Yeah, that worked out great and now I seeing it happening with texting and driving...leading to searches, seizures, etc. Where does this madness end?

But what have these laws done? Created revenue, that's it. Several people have stated it...PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!!! That's it...however, we want the government to make laws with the illusion of making us safer which causes us to be less responsible because we're reliant only on government and laws. Eventually to the point where we don't think for ourselves hence more and more dumbed down drivers. It's a vicious cycle of finger pointing and blame where (once again) the honest, hard working citizen pays for it in the end.

We need to abolish 90% of these BS laws and get back to being responsible for OUR actions. Enough of creating laws because of 12 stupid people in a state.

Then we better remove the radios, navigation, passengers, dogs, baby seats, and anything else that could "distract" the driver.

I went to high school with the kid involved with that crash. I won't go into details but i'll say that the people he hit really caused some damage to the kids life. I understand it's the kids fault, but it was a very messy situation.

They have talked about this. Don't know if it exists, but people have mentioned using the GPS function to know when car is moving, then disable phone except for 911.

That was me.... I should patten it.

The whole thing is this and only this. Take full responsibility for your own actions. We communicate waaaay too much these days. Be responsible enough to know when things can endanger others. Don't blame others for your stupidity! If people would follow this, there would be no need for laws.

The whole thing is this and only this. Take full responsibility for your own actions. We communicate waaaay too much these days. Be responsible enough to know when things can endanger others. Don't blame others for your stupidity! If people would follow this, there would be no need for laws.

As I see it, what we were taught as kids;  The Golden Rule and Ten Commandments should be all the laws we need.  Enough already!.