Combat Auto

generac stanby generator

I've got their GP5500 W model.  Haven't yet had a chance to use it, other than for a break in period, and to exercise it for 20 minutes a month.  I'm impressed by what I've seen, though.   Seems well made, and Consumer Reports labeled it a top pick a few months ago.  Amazon.com had the best price.  Free shipping.   I just opened the box where the truck dropped it off and put the included wheel kit on, then wheeled it around to the garage.

I was impressed that--despite it never having oil or gas in in previously--it started on the first pull.   It has ever since.

Did you learn that the hard way?

I purchased my system the day before Irene (storm before Sandy) at the HomeDepot as they were taking them off the truck, so there were no choices ... My system don’t the Low Oil Shutoff but it’s a good system. The upgraded model of my system now has it Low Oil Shutoff.

I’m learned to pull dipsticks and check oil levels a long time ago, longer than I care to mention. The point is if you are in the middle of a storm and your oil level was good on day 1 it may not be good on day 3 especially if you are on NG and you don’t have to worry about refueling. 

avoid generac they go out of their way to screw customers on warranties 

kolher, onan, john deere, cat, and briggs are good

As a generac dealer I am curios to hear your story.  You can PM it to me if you would rather.  I have been beat up a little bit by generac to make sure something was handled under warranty that was actually caused by the installing contractor.  If you still have the unit and still have a problem I may be able to help you mediate it. 

FWIW, I do install all makes and models of generators and they all have their quirks, be it customer service or mechanical. 

Ken

As a generac dealer I am curios to hear your story.  You can PM it to me if you would rather.  I have been beat up a little bit by generac to make sure something was handled under warranty that was actually caused by the installing contractor.  If you still have the unit and still have a problem I may be able to help you mediate it. 

FWIW, I do install all makes and models of generators and they all have their quirks, be it customer service or mechanical. 

Ken

outstanding offer here.....

As a generac dealer I am curios to hear your story. You can PM it to me if you would rather. I have been beat up a little bit by generac to make sure something was handled under warranty that was actually caused by the installing contractor. If you still have the unit and still have a problem I may be able to help you mediate it.

Ken

How far do you come down? I'm in Plumsted Twp.

Ken

Ken is it true if A home owner was to go with a large generator, around 20KW they would need to run a separate NG line with another meter?  Also how do you feel about Kohler?

I have a 14kw standyby from Generac that has been perfect. Ran 25 hours during Sandy, runs an exercise once a week. No issues at all. Propane.

Also, as asked above, most residential nat gas installs need more fuel than the regulator that feeds your house can provide. The gas company will advise on your particular needs. Its something they do all the time, so it is one of the lesser things to worry about.

Ken

Couple of friends are dealers and techs that are around the country, they've told me various stories about them. 

Ken is it true if A home owner was to go with a large generator, around 20KW they would need to run a separate NG line with another meter?  Also how do you feel about Kohler?

No, you may need to have a larger meter installed though.  A separate meter is not required in this part of the country.  If you can locate the generator close to the gas meter as posible it will always help as far as plumbing goes.  Wire is easier to run that gas line.

Kohler builds a fine machine.  They are well engineered and will serve you well.  They do not have the dealer and parts network that Generac has though.  If you could get a better deal on the Kohler go for it. 

Ken

I would go with an Onan. Costco sells them.

I am not familiar with that particular model.  I do doubt that it is an Onan manufactured unit though.  Onan is almost as expensive as Caterpilllar as far as pricing goes.  If you have an older Onan part are crazy enough to make you junk it.  They are not the same since Cummins bought them out.

Just my $.02

Ken

Couple of friends are dealers and techs that are around the country, they've told me various stories about them. 

Anyone ragging on this as negative needs to stop.  Generac is not without its problems.  I had to go through several rounds of contract negotiations with them to get things rite.  They try to low ball dealer and the ones that accept it are usually abused.  It is a shame but this post is not entirely off base.  As far as their product quality goes, they are pretty darn good.  You will have problems with anything and that is the truth.  Generac has actually subbed out their entire technical department and warranty department to an outside company.  Anyone who has gone through their service and repair classes will understand why.  Since that change and their unofficial partnership with Siemens things have changed.  Ill tell anyine the good, the bad, and the ugly about anything I know about.  I dont swear by any one company for anything.  Of all, I have had the best luck with Generac and Caterpillar. 

Ken