Combat Auto

generac stanby generator

I had an issue with my Generac that the hour meter was not working.  I called them and told them of the problems, and no questions asked they immediately shipped me a new one.  I think that was good service and support.

Also, as asked above, most residential nat gas installs need more fuel than the regulator that feeds your house can provide. The gas company will advise on your particular needs. Its something they do all the time, so it is one of the lesser things to worry about.

If you have NJ Natural, go on their website. There is a form to fill out, email it and they will advise if you are good to go or need a new meter.

I put in a 15K NG and my meter was replaced with one that more then doubled the flow capability (200k to 400K BTU's per hour)

The meter replacement is no charge as the utility has to supply you with what your needs are.

FYI, when I did the estimate I added two things I did not have to the list for future installs. A gas fireplace and gas range. Would not have changed the meter installed though.

Simple Q&A while they were doing the replacement got me a "tee" and extra shut off valve installed so that I was able to do my connection much easier.

Somethings to consider with the gas run. You need to do load calculations (easy enough), You are best at teeing off the meter and running straight to your genset. Above ground you need steel pipe or the approved Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) (very pricey, easy to install).

Below ground you need either the yellow poly gas line with very expensive transition pieces, or what I did was to use the CSST and sleeve it in PVC conduit.

There are a lot of regs dealing with all of this, but you can do it yourself if you are so inclined. It is not really that hard. And you can take your time and make for a nice installation.

Try goggling bad generator installs, you will find plenty  by both homeowners and contractors.

I am not familiar with that particular model.  I do doubt that it is an Onan manufactured unit though.  Onan is almost as expensive as Caterpilllar as far as pricing goes.  If you have an older Onan part are crazy enough to make you junk it.  They are not the same since Cummins bought them out.

Just my $.02

Ken

Costco usually has a "Honeywell branded" standby on display, with a whole house transfer switch.

Anyone ragging on this as negative needs to stop.  Generac is not without its problems. 

How long have you been a G dealer?

I think most of the engine issues they had was related to the outsourcing of the engines. AFAIK, that has been corrected with the building of a stateside engine manufacturing plant.

Their customer service at one time was horrible (Google). But, they would not still be in business if things didn't change.

I think most of the engine issues they had was related to the outsourcing of the engines. AFAIK, that has been corrected with the building of a stateside engine manufacturing plant.

Their customer service at one time was horrible (Google). But, they would not still be in business if things didn't change.

My Generac 14kw standby has been installed for about 14 months now and I've had zero issues with it.  In fact it fired up last night for about 15 minutes at 2am...I figure a drunk hit a pole somewhere.  I didn't really need it at that hour, but didn't feel like getting dressed to go shut it off.

My Generac 14kw standby has been installed for about 14 months now and I've had zero issues with it.  In fact it fired up last night for about 15 minutes at 2am...I figure a drunk hit a pole somewhere.  I didn't really need it at that hour, but didn't feel like getting dressed to go shut it off.

I got mine up and running about 2 weeks ago (Generac)...I keep it off normally...On wednesday's I put it on auto for the 12 min cycling which happens in the afternoon....I don't really want it coming on at night, too noisy, so if I have an outage overnight I'll turn it on when I wake up...The battery, I am told should have no problem holding a charge overnight if the power went our around bed time. It should hold a charge for many days/weeks I am told.

That is how I plan to use it...See any operational issues using it like this?

I got mine up and running about 2 weeks ago (Generac)...I keep it off normally...On wednesday's I put it on auto for the 12 min cycling which happens in the afternoon....I don't really want it coming on at night, too noisy, so if I have an outage overnight I'll turn it on when I wake up...The battery, I am told should have no problem holding a charge overnight if the power went our around bed time. It should hold a charge for many days/weeks I am told.

That is how I plan to use it...See any operational issues using it like this?

Does the battery tender still charge in off mode?   It may.   I don't have an answer to that question.     If I were going to run it the way you describe, I would check to see if the tender operates while in off mode...as that is simply the operating mode, it doesn't cut the power to the generator.   If the battery tender is NOT charging then I would supply a separate tender to keep the battery charged.  If the tender only works in the AUTO operating mode, then you'll eventually discharge the battery completely.  It will never be able to keep the battery on float if it is only on a few minutes.

Does the battery tender still charge in off mode?   It may.   I don't have an answer to that question.     If I were going to run it the way you describe, I would check to see if the tender operates while in off mode...as that is simply the operating mode, it doesn't cut the power to the generator.   If the battery tender is NOT charging then I would supply a separate tender to keep the battery charged.  If the tender only works in the AUTO operating mode, then you'll eventually discharge the battery completely.  It will never be able to keep the battery on float if it is only on a few minutes.

Suppose to be Trickle charging even in off mode that is what the tech told me...Maybe NJ-Ken can confirm if he reads this (thanks Ken!).

Suppose to be Trickle charging even in off mode that is what the tech told me...Maybe NJ-Ken can confirm if he reads this (thanks Ken!).

In that case, I see no reason why keeping it off will hurt anything unless you forget to turn it on for the exercise and even then, it would probably take months of no exercise before it might have an issue.

Generac rules! Installed it & transfer switch myself. It wasn't happy running 7kw of a long run barbeque stub so I upgraded to a pro installed 1" line.

She runs self test every Sunday and we smile.

Even if a "pro" installed a 1" line, you should still consider using one of the online calculators to check your gas supply. And the JCP&L form for meter size.

You need to be able to run the genny at full capacity and still supply your house with the proper pressure and volume.

But, if your new line is T'd right off the meter you are probably OK. If your meter is not big enough, the utility will change it out at no charge to you.

I had a 14kw Generac installed back in the spring. It's popped on twice for a couple of minutes for short back outs besides the weekly maintenance.  I don't think it's much louder than a lawn mower so I just leave it on auto all the time. JCP&L checked the meter for me and they told me I didn't need a change.

A good friend of mine had a 20k installed before Irene.  It ran for about a week during that storm and another 2 weeks after Sandy.  He's had no trouble and swears by it.

Yep. it will charge in any position of the switch.  The only thing that will stop it from charging is to remove the battery or the T1 fuse inside the transfer switch.

Ken

The biggest issue with lack of exercise is that bugs and rodents will start to move in.  When the generator exercises it gets hot enough inside that enclosure to discourage most life.  REgular exercise also keeps a film of oil on all the moving parts.  Remeber, these things go from 0 to full throttle instantly when started.

Ken

About a year.  Generac has had various spates of engine troubles.  All manufacturers have.  The thing rite now is improper valve adjustments.  For all you that have generators installed make sure that whoever does your first service actually does adjust the valves.   I have found a lot of them to be to tight (to little clearance) and have seen one burn an exhaust valve. 

Improper service is deadly to any generator. 

Im not brand loyal and going to tell everyone the generac is the only good generator out there....its not, there are lots of good ones.  Lately I have stopped using their transfer switches in favor of the Eaton switches with the RTC100 controller built in due to issues with generacs load shed module. Certain instalations really benefit by this substitution, mainly critical need, medical need situations.  Overall though, I have had very little problems with the units that are installed properly. 

Ken

It would be nice if Ocean county offered it.  For now I'm stuck with my Honda EU6500.LOL

I think if i was to do a genny again, I would go with the Honda EU6500, make it tri-fuel and just have hookups for it. My Honda 3000IS ran my house and a neighbors for 14 days straight last year.

Still bugs me that my town required me to place an evergreen buffer around my generator so my neighbors who can't see it anyway - now will not be able to see the evergreens.

I think if i was to do a genny again, I would go with the Honda EU6500, make it tri-fuel and just have hookups for it. My Honda 3000IS ran my house and a neighbors for 14 days straight last year.

Still bugs me that my town required me to place an evergreen buffer around my generator so my neighbors who can't see it anyway - now will not be able to see the evergreens.

Local government laws seldom make any sense. When my Honda Generator is out of warrantee I'm going to order the Tri-fuel kit. My house has NG so that would be my fuel of choice.  

Anybodyy familiar with the generac brand of portables?

intrested in the GP5500 gen.

Home depot lists two types for the same model... one is about 100$ more expensive and is listed as " with carb " .. any ideas?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-GP5500-5500-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-5939/202527679

&&

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-GP-5-500-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-with-Carb-5945/203220821

Anybody do the natural gas / tri - fuel conversion kits they have online with this type? any other opnions on the brand?

I believe the difference is one has a sealed carb that meets stricter CA emission requirements, go for the cheaper one. I have the electric start one rated at 7500 continuous and it works great.

With Carb = With CARB(California Air Resource Board) compliance. I.E. required for California, not NJ.

Buy the cheaper one.

My neighbor has the GP7500. Runs fine, I've not heard any complaints from him, however he bought it post Sandy so it's not had much use. He does repair and refurbishment on small engines at work, including a banner business during and after Sandy and the problems with the Generacs were not fuel related. It was other stuff...mostly dead batteries, that's why he bought the Generac.

i have to get myself one of those Generac portables as well..  was thinking of the same one Alec was asking about..  my biggest issue is going to be the water pump..not sure how to make that work with the portable.. plus, its a big initial power draw when it kicks on - lights dim briefly when it kicks on (and it kicks on quite a bit)

One thing i learned about a gen sitting to long without running is it can lose residual magnetism and fail to generate when fired up.

so that test cycle is important if you leave it in the off position just make sure at least once a month you fire it up.

I installed a new gen diesel in a boat all said and done fired it up and their was no output. After several tests contact was made with the manufacturer and they had me try to Flash the gen when that did not work serial and model #s were given to technical assistance found out the gen was 3 years old was told the rotor would need to be replaced that it should not have sat for more than 6 months i had to fax receipts showing that it was purchased when i said which was 2 weeks before.

They shipped me a new gen to replace it, part that sucked was i took apart 2 volvo diesel engines to fit it in the engine room and reassembled them after the install.one engine i removed the exhaust manifold and turbo the heat exchanger and oil cooler on the other engine i removed the injector pump intake manifold and intercooler.. I was BUMMED..

Anybodyy familiar with the generac brand of portables?

intrested in the GP5500 gen.

Home depot lists two types for the same model... one is about 100$ more expensive and is listed as " with carb " .. any ideas?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-GP5500-5500-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-5939/202527679

&&

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-GP-5-500-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-with-Carb-5945/203220821

Anybody do the natural gas / tri - fuel conversion kits they have online with this type? any other opnions on the brand?

I bought that exact generator earlier this year.  Consumer reports labeled it a 'best buy', and the online reviews at multiple sites were excellent.   While I have not had an opportunity to use it, other than starting it up once a month or so, I'm very happy so far.   Good feature set for a budget generator, very easy to start (when it arrived, I added oil and gas and it started on the first pull--the first pull EVER for that engine).   I've no experience with the fuel conversion kits. 

I got mine through Amazon.  At least at that time, it was the best price available.  The truck delivered the box to the front of the house; I opened it there, bolted on the included wheels and handle right where it sat, then pulled it around to the garage.  I've since made a plywood rain cover I can bungie onto the frame, and anchored a locking point into concrete on the side of the house where I'd be using it.  Next up will be adding a Reliance Controls transfer switch alongside my panel, but for now I'd be running heavy gauge extension cords to power the fridge and furnace.