Combat Auto

generac stanby generator

Home depot lists two types for the same model... one is about 100$ more expensive and is listed as " with carb " .. any ideas?

There are two "clean air" standards in this Country, the Federal Clean Air Act and those issued by the CARB (see above).

Only reason there are still two is because California had one before the federal law was passed.

The CARB standard is tighter then the federal law, so it costs more to make a product CARB compliant.

Save your money, buy non CARB compliant when you can.

One thing i learned about a gen sitting to long without running is it can lose residual magnetism and fail to generate when fired up.

so that test cycle is important if you leave it in the off position just make sure at least once a month you fire it up.

I installed a new gen diesel in a boat all said and done fired it up and their was no output. After several tests contact was made with the manufacturer and they had me try to Flash the gen when that did not work serial and model #s were given to technical assistance found out the gen was 3 years old was told the rotor would need to be replaced that it should not have sat for more than 6 months i had to fax receipts showing that it was purchased when i said which was 2 weeks before.

That sounds like the manufacturer couldn't diagnose it over the phone. The residual magnetism mentioned in this thread is easily "flashed" back to the fields (has to be polarity correct though). Was a common service when automobiles were equipped with generators, before alternators became standard. Just removing the battery from the system would cause the fields to need to be flashed.

And for the most part should only affect DC generators. I'm pretty sure most portable generators are really alternators using a common but outdated name.

I've had a Generac 16KW (aluminum enclosure) since 2007.   We probably have 70 amps worth of circuits on the transfer switch, including refrigerators, pumps, alarm, outlets, lighting, A/V, computers and internet.  In addition to running off and on as needed for short outages, it has run on three occasions for 100 hours + without problems.   It gets serviced twice a year and oil changed after the 100 hour runs.  No complaints.   We run APC BackUP XS 1500s on computers, FIOS and A/V so the outage/changeover doesn't affect them.

I have a Generac natural gas generator that was installed after Irene but before Sandy.  It worked flawlessly through the storm and I am quite pleased with it.  If I had it to do over again is I would spend the extra money for the quieter version.

We had a decent sized branch land on the top during one of the storms before Sandy and it caved it in (no mechanical damage).   Now, I have some very heavy-duty horses and 2 x 10s to protect the top if there is a heavy windstorm.   Especially important if you have large trees in the area.

I work for Lowes and we are told by vendors that we are sold the same stock of generators as anyone else. Since the manufacturer still has to warranty (not to mention would have to set aside time and space for specific "downgraded" product) I don't see the benefit. Contracting with major home centers does, however, expose the brand to millions of additional potential customers a year.

Maybe not downgraded for standby generators, but try taking your toro lawnmower to a small repair shop and see what kind of service they can do.

When I was younger I worked at a lawnmower repair shop. Their business was landscapers and commercial machines for the most part. Maybe 20% homeowner. If they came in with Toro, craftsman (we called it crapsman) or other various box store brands we turned them away. Parts weren't either available or the repair wasn't worth the time. They would essentially be buying a new unit after we charged labor.

Home depot lists two types for the same model... one is about 100$ more expensive and is listed as " with carb " .. any ideas?

There are two "clean air" standards in this Country, the Federal Clean Air Act and those issued by the CARB (see above).

Only reason there are still two is because California had one before the federal law was passed.

The CARB standard is tighter then the federal law, so it costs more to make a product CARB compliant.

Save your money, buy non CARB compliant when you can.

California actually had a pretty bad smog problem before they added all the CARB regulations. So yeah, they're a bit picky.