Sign in to follow this  
sage613

advice for a new rifle shooter

After some time shooting handguns, I am thinking about getting back into rifles after many years.

I am definitely a newbie and would appreciate any advice

1. What is the best rifle for a new shooter interested in range\target?

2.Are there ranges in NJ that rifle shooters like?

3.I know that 22 lr is the cheapest, but I am thinking I might like a centerfire rifle-any thoughts/

4. I am not considering an AR style-just don't like the look- so any suggestions?

with gratitude in advance

That's a great semi auto 22. If you want to go bolt action, go with a Savage Mk2.

+1 on the Savage MK2 for an inexpensive bolt gun.  I have one with around 1000 rounds through it and no complaints.

Agree with Ruger 10/22 if you want a semi-auto. Modifying it can become a hobby in itself. I put a bull barrel, a target trigger, an after market magazine release, a new stock, and a scope on mine. It was a lot of fun learning how everything works together. I just wish I could have bought the receiver alone, because that's all that's left of the original rifle! If you go this route, a used, beater 10/22 is a good deal.

If you want better build quality and a bolt action, I recommend a CZ452. I've never shot the Savage MK2, but I have heard great things about it. General opinion seems to be that the CZ has an edge in build quality but costs almost double.

If you decide to get serious about target rifle shooting, I can't offer any advice other than to start saving your $$ for a target rifle, which is a whole different creature.

What do you want the centerfire for? If just for target shooting and tinkering, I highly recommend milsurp. You can start with a Mosin Nagant for under $150 and own a rugged piece of history. If hunting, it depends on your budget. My dream rifle is a Sako for its high quality, but I'm sure a mass-produced Remington 700 will get the job done for a lot less money. 

Great advice as always. Possibly deer hunting in my future, so want to go with center fire

If you are looking to hunt deer out of state I would go with at least a .243 cal, that is the minimum for deer and other medium sized  game in many states.

You might want to check out the Ruger American series.  I have one in .243 and really enjoy it, it can shoot 1 MOA @ 200 yards almost right out of the box.

And they are very affordable.

I don't see the point in getting a 22 if you want a centerfire.  Buy what you want first. .308 is a popular size to start with.  .270 is a good caliber which really responds to hand loading.  But for a beginner centerfire shooter who would like to use the gun for target/hunting, I'd recommend the 308.  

It's hard to beat the product that Savage is putting out in centerfire, nowadays.  Very accurate right out of the box with the accustock and accutrigger.    Something like the Savage16/116FCSS or the 10FCM Scout which is sold as an LE model but you can shoot as soon as you get it because it comes with ghost rings.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/