manwithnoname

357 lever gun

Google "Steve's Gunz" - he tunes Taurus brand Winchester lever clones so that they work 100% out of the box, I've wanted to buy one from him for quite some time.

hey, is this the same guy who tunes rossi 18" 357 levers? or maybe I'm thinkin about someone else.  I've shot one rossi and the double action was horrible. 

Whoa! I just spotted a rossi 357 stainless octagon 24" lever on GB!  

Price wise new ROSSI hard to beat I've got a 357 20" barrel and a hard to find 454 / 45 CASULL 20" factory ported barrel they slick up nice. Pay a little more go to HENRY and like most said stay away from new MARLIN older's better.

But the Henry is American!

I wanted to like them. But they are a bit too "blingy" for me. And they are filled with MIM parts. Those were deal killers for me.

The Rossi big loop M92 is a terrific lever gun. I bought the gun for $400 from TJ Sporting Arms (NJGF Vendor) last year, and some parts and the DVD from Steve at Steve's Gunz online. Terrific guy. What's best is that he takes calls during the day and will work with you to solve your problem. I was having problems driving a pin out of mine and taking the wobble out of a rear peep sight I put on to replace the buckhorn rear, and he spent 1/2 hour on the phone with me until I got them squared away. After watching the video, I smoothed out the action (it wasn't bad to begin with) and the gun is a great shooter. It hit's a 12" x 18" steel target at 100 yards with magnum loads. No problem. The holdover is trickier with creampuff 38's.

So, I posted that pre-merger Marlins are great, but I have to admit that the gun I actually have is a Taylors 1873 Uberti, modified to Cody-matic standards by CodysCowboyShop.

You can see the gun here:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-rifles/1873-lever-action/1873-sporting-rifle-full-octagonal-barrel/1873-sporting-rifle-full-octagonal-barrel-357mag-20-blue-finish-with-case-hardened-frame-straight-walnut-stock-model-200f.html

and Cody's version of it here:

http://codyscowboyshop.com/#pricing

I bought the gun for $1000 on this very forum, cost the original owner close to $1500.  Takes only an inch or two on the lever to fully cycle the action, and it's mirror smooth.  Pretty amazing rifle.

The Japan made Winchesters are the bees knees when it comes to pistol caliber lever guns.  Pick one up and you'll see why.  The Ubertis are nice.  The Rossis are good after you sand down all the rough edges.  Seriously, they're like an unfinished product.  I wouldn't buy one.  Remlins are okay now.  The ones produced just after the takeover are hit or miss, mostly miss.  If you find one, check it for function.  If it works, it works.  A lot of people shoot them everyday.

I have a Henry in .44 Mag and I love it. Two weeks ago, It was one the rifles I brought with me to an Military Vehicle rally, and out of the firearms that we where shooting it was everybody's favorite. So I am going to recommend get a Henry, plus the brass colored receiver is a nice change of pace  from your typical rifles.

got a stamped JM marlin cowboy limited to go with my ruger gp100 wood handled revolver. sometimes I just dress up and rub them all over my body and think how awesomely cool I am to have two fantastic guns...LOL. A .357 lever gun is just about as much fun and addicting as a .22 just more expensive. be careful though some are .38 special only

I have a Henry .357 Big boy MIM or not it's a fine shooting gun, cycles smooth feeds all types of .357 and after 500 or so rounds still have never failed to imporess me with it's accuracy and ease of use. The only thing I which it had was rear loading capibaily but you cant always get everyting you want.