Johnk-NJ

Steel case ammo in an Ar?

Shell might get stuck/glued in chamber. There are a number fo theories why this happens.

Some uppers have a problem with steel ammo.

Stag is one of them from my experience. Only brass works for me.

Give it a try but have a rod and hammer to get the stuck case if that happens while its hot or it will get so glued.

If it works and yu have no problems , do brush the chamber and ckean hard after each time yu go to the range.

Only one way to find out, is to try it....

I've personally fired more than 500 rounds of Tula through my Ar, with ZERO MALFUNCTIONS, YES ZERO!

Damjan can vouche for atleast 250 rounds of me firing it.

If you don't feel comfortable with Tula, let me know. I will take it off your hands.

As everyone else stated, try shooting off a few mags and see how it functions. If after a couple hundred rounds your AR feeds it fine, then you should be good to go. Some ARs are finicky and usually will give you a problem within those couple hundred rounds.

I wouldn't recommend it to break in a new rifle since its rather weak ammo and might cause cycling issues. Clean your chamber and other components well after shooting and you'll be fine. Steel is all I shoot when training at the range.

I have found that when timed correctly, Wolf should be ejecting at 4 o'clock while my lake city, pmc, and hand loads are right at 3 o'clock.  Wolf is a little underpowered compared to most manufactured ammunition but not enough that you will notice it shooting at NJ distanced ranges.  Buy it, use it, and have a safe fun time. 

If you shoot steel, and there is any chance you might ever use the rifle for self defense, then you will have to clean the chamber after every range trip. Just to be sure. And don't use the steel for self defense. Not only is it possible to malfunction, but more importantly it doesn't fragment. Because of the projectiles, not he casings.

It does cause more barrel, throat, and port erosion according to recent torture tests by others. Probably matters more with unlined chambers/barrels and if you are into high accuracy shooting. Won't matter to most people with military barrels.

I don't know about cleaning, I've got one AR that I shoot steel through and I'll go over 1k before I clean it and I never had an issue.  It is a little dirtier but not really too much more than cheaper brass ammo (should say old cheaper brass ammo lol)

The problem with steel cased ammo is this; internet lore takes a long time to die

I don't know about cleaning, I've got one AR that I shoot steel through and I'll go over 1k before I clean it and I never had an issue. It is a little dirtier but not really too much more than cheaper brass ammo (should say old cheaper brass ammo lol)

The problem with steel cased ammo is this; internet lore takes a long time to die

The issue with cleaning is that brass cased ammo can get stuck on the fouling that gets past the case because it doesn't deal the chamber as well.

I haven't experienced it with a chrome lined 5.56 chamber swapping back and forth, but i know of at least one person with a stainless wylde chamber barrel that swapped between wolf and some Indian surplus with soft brass. It's jam up every time and the extractor would rip off a chunk of case rim.

Bad, bad juju in a life or death situation. There's no reason to take that risk when it's easy to avoid it with some cleaning.

As I said, I like using steel cased ammo when training because that's the time I want to learn to deal with malfunctions, not when I'm in a life or death situation. Unfortunately, I have not experienced any malfunctions yet (I guess I got lucky) so I'll continue to run it. I know it's just a matter of time before I start getting jams or stuck rounds in the chamber so I'm ready for it.

As far as cost, Cabelas had Herters for $6 for 20 ($0.30/round). What's PMC Bronze now ~$9 for 20 (~$0.45/round)? Personally, I don't mind having to clean my AR more often than not because I run dirtier/cheaper ammo.

As far as the using steel cased ammo will break your AR myth? Show me proof that certain damage was caused by it. I'm not talking corrosive ammo, I'm talking steel cased ammo.

As far as the using steel cased ammo will break your AR myth? Show me proof that certain damage was caused by it. I'm not talking corrosive ammo, I'm talking steel cased ammo.

All you have to do is really google, many places about garbage steel ammo