leahcim

Red light scamera petition

Why should red light camera fines be any different then a police officer conducting a stop for the same offense? Moving violation... ticket, fines, plus points. Why is there a difference between the distribution of violations if this isnt about something completely different? The towns know damn well when 10k people have their insurance jump up because they are making money, the cameras come down. Why the double standard?

If the evidence of violation is so iron clad you will receive the same citation as a sworn breathing representative of the law, then why dont we give these shitty red light running drivers the same punishment as others? Because money.

-In this country, we used to have a right to face our accuser. In many cases that does not appear to happen in these cases.

-In cases involving this technology, there appears to be a presumption of guilt, rather than innocence. It is assumed by the courts tat the technology is sufficiently advanced tat there is no way it can make a mistake. And even when it does and it is admitted there is a problem, you receive a 10% refund.

This is something I do not understand.  And I have never received a red-light camera ticket, so have not had a chance to find out.

I would think that, unless they have a picture of the driver, there is no proof of who was driving the vehicle when it was recorded in the infraction.  So the right to face ones accusers, plus the presumption of innocence, coupled with the 5th ammendment--the burden of proof is on the state.  Has anyone tried to go before the court and demand that they fulfill their burden of proving who was driving the car?  It seems like that would be the end of it, but apparently not because my understanding is that people are not regularly beating these tickets.

I also understand that their are no points/moving violations, so maybe that is the state's key to this revenue stream--a moving violation requires the higher threshold of guilt?

Friends of mine have received speeding tickets from cameras on I-95 in MD.  The ticket is only $40 and no points, so most people will just pay it--especially if you are just driving through.  I would not be suprised to see these on the Tpk and parkway soon.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/08/nj_red-light_cameras_ensnaring_motorists_with_quick_yellow_lights_lawmaker_says.html

People HAVE challenged them, and they DO win. But that doesn't help the people that just pay the ticket because they don't have the resources to fight.

Not even. How much do you lose by skipping out on work to go to traffic court?

For that reason alone I say keep the red light cameras. Turn right on red is a big problem because people don't even STOP when the light is red around here. They just go balls to the wall to make it before I reach the intersection, meaning I usually have to brake and THIS could cause an accident. 

I've never gotten a red light ticket and I always make sure I can stop at a light if it turns red. This means being prepared to stop at a "stale green" light. Only once has my car been rear ended and this was in a construction zone from a driver who was paying more attention to her cell phone than the road.

We don't have that problem around here. But I can tell you that traffic has just about doubled at intersections where people don't turn right on red. Cars backed up from the right lane, blocking access to the lanes on the left, side roads, and parking lots.

How many people have you seen running reds before these cameras were installed?

Not even. How much do you lose by skipping out on work to go to traffic court?

We don't have that problem around here. But I can tell you that traffic has just about doubled at intersections where people don't turn right on red. Cars backed up from the right lane, blocking access to the lanes on the left, side roads, and parking lots.

How many people have you seen running reds before these cameras were installed?

To my knowledge we don't have them here and people run red all the time.

This is something I do not understand.  And I have never received a red-light camera ticket, so have not had a chance to find out.

I would think that, unless they have a picture of the driver, there is no proof of who was driving the vehicle when it was recorded in the infraction.  So the right to face ones accusers, plus the presumption of innocence, coupled with the 5th ammendment--the burden of proof is on the state.  Has anyone tried to go before the court and demand that they fulfill their burden of proving who was driving the car?  It seems like that would be the end of it, but apparently not because my understanding is that people are not regularly beating these tickets.

I also understand that their are no points/moving violations, so maybe that is the state's key to this revenue stream--a moving violation requires the higher threshold of guilt?

Friends of mine have received speeding tickets from cameras on I-95 in MD.  The ticket is only $40 and no points, so most people will just pay it--especially if you are just driving through.  I would not be suprised to see these on the Tpk and parkway soon.

Correct no picture of the driver that is why they don't assign points to the violation. The violation is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle whether they were driving or not, its still their responsibilty for the the ticket. As far as facing your accuser each violation is reviewed by a police officer so if you go to court, the evidence is the pictures and video and the officer must testify to the ticket. 

Before you say that it sucks for the registered owner even if they weren't driving same rules apply for hit and run accidents. If a plate is acquired by someone and damage is found on suspect vehicle tickets go to registered owner unless the driver is identified.

Even worse is if you rent a car, the rental company pays the ticket right away then automatically charges your credit card for the ticket plus a fee for them paying it.

You obviously did not read my post above., yellow times can not be adjusted, otherwise people would challenge them in court and win.

Obviously you have never tried to fight a ticket in municipal court.......... they are ticket mills, designed to find you guilty.

I once fought a careless driving ticket from an accident where the cop cited excessive speed as the reason for issuing it. I was able to get the cop to admit (in so many words) that he had no real idea how fast I was going..........I was found guilty anyway.

If research is skewed to show an increase that is what it will show, I can only speak for Brick's cameras and research shows that it has increased traffic safety. But I will agree to disagree, because I can see where this is going, no one likes them. Like I said before don't run a red light and you never have to worry about them.

Until you get rear ended at one of these intersections, then you will have to worry about it.

Not going to happen without the legislature and the Gov. changing the law. The state tested photo radar out in the early 90's (when the speedlimit on the highways was still 55MPH)......it created such an outrage that the legislature passed a bill to ban it. Too bad they didn't include red light cameras was well.