JayM26

Question on buying gun online and shipping to my FFL without the P2P

Did some searching but didn't find anything concrete. I think this could be done and next step was to get in touch with my local FFL just to be sure but thought I'd ask here.

I am interested in buying a gun from an FFL on Gunbroker. Price is pretty decent. I should have my FID and P2P's in my hand within the next month (I hope!). I know how crazy Jersey is with dates - 30 day rule etc so this got me thinking.

If I buy this pistol and it ships to my FFL now and he holds it until I get my P2P, am I still within the law? Does this earlier sale date or purchase from the selling FFL to me raise an illegal issue and red flag for when I complete the transfer through my local FFL say in a month from now?

If so, as a second option I can always just pay and have the selling FFL hold the pistol for me and tell him to ship it when the P2P's are in my hand. I'd prefer to have my local FFL already have the pistol in his hands when I get the P2P's though.

Thanks.

I've personally done this on more than one occasion

Your FFL may charge you a storage fee, but otherwise, you're GTG

Thank you too Dave. Storage?..wow on a 16" x 16" case? I would hope not. He's doing the transfer and NICS for me.

But if a lot of customers do as you do, a lot of the dealer's space is taken up. Some people procrastinate and wait months to pick up their item.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

But if a lot of customers do as you do, a lot of the dealer's space is taken up. Some people procrastinate and wait months to pick up their item.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

And PD's procrastinate and wait months to complete your pp paper work creating the whole problem to begin with..

And PD's procrastinate and wait months to complete your pp paper work creating the whole problem to begin with..

And the state makes us procrastinate with this idiotic OGAM law.

Took me 3 months to get 3 permits which will take me another 2+ months to pick up all that I had bought.

Well...I feel pretty good that I should have within a month. Man....I hope I am right.

Another questions guys...my local FFL said he could match the price I got on the pistol so I would support him locally of course. I know my price for the pistol walking out the door.

So all that remains is the NICS cost for him to charge right? No transfer involved here since he is selling the gun to me new.

you need to clarify with him " what price he is matching" is he matching the price of the pistol or the price of the complete sale?

I don't see why you shouldn't just go with him even if the price is the same out of your pocket as long as it's not more expensive. And personally just to avoid the issues I'd go with the local guy every time if it wasn't going to cost say more then 5%.

you need to clarify with him " what price he is matching" is he matching the price of the pistol or the price of the complete sale?

I don't see why you shouldn't just go with him even if the price is the same out of your pocket as long as it's not more expensive. And personally just to avoid the issues I'd go with the local guy every time if it wasn't going to cost say more then 5%.

This much is clear that he is matching the cost of the pistol. My question was on the usual transfer cost from FFL to FFL which obviously there isn't one now since I am buying direct from my local FFL. He will just do the NICS is all right? That would save me $25 right there in avoiding the transfer cost so I would be ahead of the game even with him matching the pistol cost. Another benefit I would gather.

This much is clear that he is matching the cost of the pistol. My question was on the usual transfer cost from FFL to FFL which obviously there isn't one now since I am buying direct from my local FFL. He will just do the NICS is all right? That would save me $25 right there in avoiding the transfer cost so I would be ahead of the game even with him matching the pistol cost. Another benefit I would gather.

you'll pay nj sales tax now which might be more then 25 bucks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Yeah, but he shouldn't pay shipping, which is likely to be more than $25

true, depends on the ffl. The op should just ask for the otd price and go with what he feels is right. Hopefully if it's only a few bucks he just supports local guy

And the state makes us procrastinate with this idiotic OGAM law.

Took me 3 months to get 3 permits which will take me another 2+ months to pick up all that I had bought.

You should just go for an exemption if you have 3 waiting, You'll get that quick if your PD doesn't sit on it, last one I did (recently) got turned around to me in 8 days............

you'll pay nj sales tax now which might be more then 25 bucks

I got it covered guys. I'm comparing apples to apples for price. Including tax. I made sure of this with my local FFL. He says he can meet the price.

So going back to my last question, all that is left is the NICS cost correct?

Thank you too Dave. Storage?..wow on a 16" x 16" case? I would hope not. He's doing the transfer and NICS for me.

I had an issue back in January where I ordered a handgun from Armslist, then applied for a purchase permit which took longer than usual. I then lost the permit (probably got thrown away with income tax junk). I re-applied and received new permits, which took 7 weeks. After all was said and done my FFL charged me $10 x 3 months for storage. This was on top of a similar charge for 2 Mosins, plus three transfer fees @ $65 each, and the NICS. The fees were more than I actually paid for the two rifles.