Atlas

Primer Brands

Just some input please. I'm reloading mainly 45 ACP LPP on a Dillon xl650.

My only brand so far is Winchester but I'm running low. Do different brands really matter? Say Winchester vs Federal vs CCI? Not looking to go low end or cut cost, just about using what's available.

The only thing to be aware of is cup hardness, if your reloads are intended to be used in any sort of "tuned" firearm. IIRC, the Russian derived primers have fairly hard cups. The softest cup is Federal, which is why some progressive press manufacturers warn against using them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Natchez has them

And the total cost for 2000 shipped to my door is $115.38 --  2000 is all they will let you buy at 1 time

I'm just not ready to spend $57+ on a box of primers -- I'll just run out my supply and stop shooting if this is what it's come to

And the total cost for 2000 shipped to my door is $115.38 -- 2000 is all they will let you buy at 1 time

I'm just not ready to spend $57+ on a box of primers -- I'll just run out my supply and stop shooting if this is what it's come to

Primers are still a small fraction of the cost of a round compared to the actual bullet. 3.5c vs 5.7c isn't a huge nominal difference. Yes it sucks that the prices have gone up but I still enjoy shooting and reloaded ammo is still by far cheaper and better.

And the total cost for 2000 shipped to my door is $115.38 --  2000 is all they will let you buy at 1 time

That's just nuts. Midway still has cci and winchester spp in stock, 5k limit on each. Comes to just over 300 for 10k shipped.

The only primer I can recommend against are Vihtavuori, they are exceedingly odd. On the bright side, they are almost never available, anywhere. The ones I tried I bought off the shelf in a gun shop simply for the WTF'ness of it, as I didn't even know VV made such a thing.

Never knew they made primers either!

QC seems to vary a lot on the tula and wolf pistol primers. 

In general, there's only three things to vary. Compound sensitivity, stiffness of the primer cup, and velocity change. 

I use mostly federal and winchester. For the same powder charge, I'd rank them in order of muzzle velocity of the finished round as federal SP, winchester SP, federal SPM, winchester SPM. There's over 50fps muzzle velocity difference between the federal SP and winchester SPM. 

CCI are quality, but they are a bit harder and a bit flared at the open end. They can take a bit more oomph to seat, and don't play nicely with my vibraprime.