Sign in to follow this  
reagor

camping and shooting

me and my girl are planning a tent camping trip, probably a long weekend end of September

does njgf know of any places to tent camp in the woods, maybe by a lake, where it would be private enough to target shoot my pistol and maybe my ar.  Ive found plenty of rv parks which basically would let me set up tent in a parking spot, this im trying to avoid

i doubt ill find what im looking for in NJ but maybe some of you know places in pa

a legit range would be nice, but im not opposed to backwoods plinking either

if we decide to just go camping in nj somewhere and not shooting would it be legal for me to bring my pistol to the campsite and carry it (similar to how i can carry on my personal property, from my understanding even a renter has this right and technically i would be renting a campsite for the weekend)

i would prefer a campsite i could drive my 4x4 truck to for unloading/ lockable storage

im not opposed to paying a private resident to use a secluded part of his property

also pet friendly would be a big plus, i have a dog who would be very upset if he didnt get to go play in the woods

Same exact scenario here. I would also love to know, I just figured in NJ what would be the likelihood of actually having enough land to shoot near a listed campsite without the authorities being called. Seems more like a Pennsylvania deal to me. Private resident with land sounds ideal for this

Have been an avid camper all my life. Unfortunately you will not find eather in NJ....... Stokes is nice up in Sussex real woodsey but unfortunately in NJ you can't bring your dog.....day trips yes overnight camping no....unless its a private campsite tuna there rules would apply....but if you do that it would be parking lot camping.....big open fields with no woods........we spend alot of time in Vermont camping.all the campsite allow dog even the state and federal parks and if you want to rough it they ha e what's called wilderness campsites.well off the main roads and I mean deliverance type off the main roads if you know what I mean.....the sites are marked with only a fire pit....no water so you have to bring in your own...Vermonters love guns...oh and beat of all the wilderness sites are free.....yes free....... they just limit you on the length of time you can stay at a site Iam pretty sure its like 15 days.its about a 4 hr ride from me in central NJ.....or you can try PA they started a program a few years ago about pets in a pet friendly area in the campground with run areas and doggie dodo bags and collection cans really nice..if you want to talk more PM me.....yeah jersey kinda sucks when you want to camp with man two best friends....good luck brother

As an avid camper for many years, But not claiming in any way to speak NJ's demeaning laws, I will give this question A try

In NJ we have the do not deviate law.  You would not be traveling to or from a Legitimate range, Gunshop, Gunsmith, or sanction event. you would be traveling to A campsite most likely on private property, or worse A State park. You will be breaking the law!

Now in Pa. you can purchase A State Gamelands shooters permit for 30.00 A year and shoot at any of the State ranges.

We go to Pa A lot to camp. and yes I do carry with proper CCW Permit. BUT some not A majority of Campgrounds have A no firearms rule.Again private property and you must abide by the owners wishes. Unlike NJ they dont need to post A no firearms rule. You let someone see you carrying in A Majority of NJ cG s you are going to jail.   Do  yourself A favor go to PA buy A Gamelands shootrs permit, go to A nearby State range and have A good time. 

Step carefull with your thoughts on this matter, you are in NJ

thanks all, ive elected to camp in pa, i think im gonna go with http://www.campingatroundstone.com

its a small private campground with an emphasis on privace, its in the jim thorp area, and has a nice size lake...i dont know if they allow pets or firearms yet and i will be calling them tomorrow, their website needs some work but they are family owned and operated since 1877

and their rates are a lil higher but id gladly pay more for some privacy $39/night tent camping for 2 adults

google maps only shows treetops and they state cabins are 15min walk from each other and tent sites are no more than 100ft from the lake

also i didnt think about the standard deviation rule, i will not be perusing that angle in nj

the $30 permit for state ranges you speak of, would we each need one or can i bring a guest? where do i buy one, can i buy it at the range?

Go online and search PA Gamelands.   You will be able to buy the shooters permit online. dont forget to print out your permit as they will not mail 1 to you. it is valid when you pay for it.   Yes you will need A permit for each shooter. You can also search what areas offer as far as shooting goes and that will help you to plan your trip.

Enjoy