liquidskin

Fyi Hunter education courses added today

Thanks! My teenager son is all excited about air gun hunting! He is signed up for the 20th of October in Clinton. Ironically, We were out at Clinton WMA sighting in an airgun with said son and noticed a posting that said the range would be closed on OCT 20th, but I knew it is not yet posted on the NJ FW site as of yesterday! you saved the day!

PS: to those prospective air gunners out there, I have a Avanti 853 (CMP surplus) target air gun that we love and it is "whisper quiet" without any suppression technology, but it is not sufficient for small game hunting.

I just purchased a Umarex Ruger .177 Magnum (high velocity) spring air gun for the hunting purpose. It is a nice accurate and powerful gun. Be forewarned, it is NOT a quiet gun!  No need to worry about those noise suppression rulings. But it will get the attention of all the ears around you human and 4-footed alike.

Do we have that many new hunters?

Airguns are bringing out a number of teenagers that haven't hunted before. My son is excited about squirrel/rabbit/woodchuck. He has assisted me with Deer retrieval for years, but feels he is not "ready" for taking a deer. He thinks he wants to start small. So the airgun option was a big hit for him!  BTW, at least 2 of his 15 year old friends are in nearly the same place. All are signing up this fall.

show up, do a field instruction on firearm safety and game retreival. then go to the range and demonstrate that you are capable of shooting a .22LR without hurting yourself or anyone else. finally take the test and pass it with i think a 70% grade.

if you are going to do rifle, do shotgun as well, nothing additional except shooting a shotgun as well and taking additional questions about shotguns.

if you are proficient with a bow, do it too. but that has an actual proficiency requirement, you need to hit a pie plate at 15 yards, 3 out 5 times.

all three will only take an extra hour or so vs. just rifle, and you never have to come back in the future.