Scott204

Is .444 worth it?

I have am opportunity to buy a nice Marlin 444. I currently have a marlin 336 in 30-30 which I use in PA as my heavy woods gun, I have a 300WSM and a 270 for open field hunting so range is not an issue. I am just curious what you guys thought about the caliber. I wanted a 45-70 but then this gun became available through a good friend and it is a good deal. But to afford (I just bought a new house) it I would be forced to sell my 30-30. So is selling the 30-30 worth it to buy the 444?

I've shot that gun.  It packs a wallop.  A real brush buster with a .44 Mag head (240 grain SP or HP) traveling at rifle velocities.  Good enough for almost anything on 4 legs.  But not worth selling a .30-30 in order to get it.  IMHO the .45-70 Marlin will knock-down ANYTHING with its' HUGE heavy 405 grain (or better) bullet.  It's what the .444 Marlin wants to be when it "grows-up".  And as far as ammo, .45-70 ammo has been around a LONG time, and is plentiful.  NO need to re-invent the wheel.......

I'm pretty partial to the .444 Marlin. I've been shooting (and hunting) with one for some time now. It's a very versatile round if you reload. The Microgroove barrels can offer good accuracy with jacketed bullets; sub-MOA for three shots @ 100 yds. has been the norm. You can safely push the 265 gr. Hornady FP to more than 2200 fps safely with no pressure signs. I've never tried the newer FTX bullets that offer an improved B.C. I find the original 265 gr. FP works very well on whitetails. I've handloaded lighter pistol bullets just for fun and have gotten good accuracy with reduced loads (<1100fps) using lead bullets as well.

Some outside input on the .444 Marlin. http://www.guns.com/2012/01/30/five-underrated-rifle-cartridges/

BTW - .30-30's can be found anywhere. No so the .444. Being the last and only cartridge chambered in a Marlin with their name on the headstamp, this makes it kinda special.