Barms

Wow i know nothing about rifle optic mounts..

You kind of mentioned 2 good reasons for a qd mount. Good ones were mentioned above. But your concerns are correct. You want something not cheap that wont lose zero and safes are a problem with modern firearms. If you have a small safe and/or a lot of rifles, there is almost always an issue where you wish they made a shoe horn for guns into safes. I recently had a long discussion with Patriot Safes. For the love of gawd, these companies with the exception of Pendleton, have no idea how to do modern design in safes. I have a rule that usually works. It's the 50% rule. In other words unless you have contemporary long guns like bolt actions with no optics, only half will fit. This is due to optics, mags, and other attachments. So yes, if you have to remove stuff for it to fit, a good mount that easily can be removed is ideal. Aimpoint Pros come with a great torque ratchet mount. Easy to remove but not as fast as a QD mount like LaRue.

As for cowitness, I never went that route. Others can chime in.., but you'll have to get used to it and train your eye to realize there are multiple obstacles in your view... To me, I'm content not using it. It's a distraction to me and takes away of not worrying to where the dot needs to be other than on your target as desired. IMHO of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

"Any mount will eventually show wear to the receiver if constantly removed and reapplied."

With some mounts, like the Larue, I would say this is true. But for other mounts I think I would need to hear your definition of wear to say. Are we talking a little finish wear or wear that would actually affect zero?

Let me put it this way. In the land of high end mounts, repeatability is achiavable at a high level. I run high end QR mounts on ALL my rifles including long range precision rifles.

As for cowitness, I never went that route. Others can chime in.., but you'll have to get used to it and train your eye to realize there are multiple obstacles in your view... To me, I'm content not using it. It's a distraction to me and takes away of not worrying to where the dot needs to be other than on your target as desired. IMHO of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I think you may have it a little backwards. When your focusing on putting the dot on the target with both eyes open, you shouldnt see anything obstructing your fov.

That's where the lower 1/3 cowitness is helpful btw. The only thing in my eotech window other than the reticle is the tip of the front post and 2 ears

I think you may have it a little backwards. When your focusing on putting the dot on the target with both eyes open, you shouldnt see anything obstructing your fov.

That's where the lower 1/3 cowitness is helpful btw. The only thing in my eotech window other than the reticle is the tip of the front post and 2 ears

It's what I meant. Yeesh, I need more coffee... Hardly any sleep last night. Been a rough week...

yvyrane4.jpg

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...