checko

Looking to buy a polymer handgun

Which handgun  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What should I pick up next?

• Walther PPQ
    • Glock 34

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to look at Glock pistols.   

Ideally I'm looking for a medium framed poly striker fired pistol, around $600.  I would be using it primarily for training and carry when out of state.  

Don't know a lot about striker pistols especially between brands.  Feel free to impart some knowledge on me.  

As of right this second, the P99 is the favorite because of the ergo, and paddle mag release which I like.  

I carry a Glock 17 regularly, but finding neutered magazines can be problematic from time to time. One of the members here alters the 17 rounds mags to legal capacity. A Glock 19 is a little smaller, but gets by with the NJ legal 15 round mags from the factory.

you mentioned wanting a medium framed pistol but list the 17 which is the full size...given your list id second specopsscout and suggest the g19 (personal choice would be a gen4)...glocks on most forums get a bad rap as the most vocal opponents are usually mid life crisis new gun owner gear queers looking for phalic symbol firearms with lots of bling for their monthly trip to the range to punch paper..complaining of grip shape/angle/too plain/looks like a block/etc etc...not that unlike women with purses or shoes....but for those that actually use/depend on firearms as tools and dont go into online rants about a smudge on their pistol recognize the minimalist simplicity(just keeps working) of glocks

before the drama...none of these comments are directed at anyone on this site...but as an overall theme on the many sites of various states/brands/organazitions i frequent

you mentioned wanting a medium framed pistol but list the 17 which is the full size...given your list id second specopsscout and suggest the g19 (personal choice would be a gen4)...glocks on most forums get a bad rap as the most vocal opponents are usually mid life crisis new gun owner gear queers looking for phalic symbol firearms with lots of bling for their monthly trip to the range to punch paper..complaining of grip shape/angle/too plain/looks like a block/etc etc...not that unlike women with purses or shoes....but for those that actually use/depend on firearms as tools and dont go into online rants about a smudge on their pistol recognize the minimalist simplicity(just keeps working) of glocks

before the drama...none of these comments are directed at anyone on this site...but as an overall theme on the many sites of various states/brands/organazitions i frequent

When i said medium size I didn't mean just barrel size. I meant general size of the pistol. The 17 should be a bit slimmer and shorter than my Beretta.

Does the 19 have a full hand grip?

Sig Sauer SP 2022 in 9mm. I have one and I'm very happy with it.

It's not quite as small as a compact but not as large as a full sized pistol.

When i said medium size I didn't mean just barrel size. I meant general size of the pistol. The 17 should be a bit slimmer and shorter than my Beretta.

Does the 19 have a full hand grip?

i got you...well the 17 is def slimmer than the beretta..but the grip presents a printing issue for me...the 19/23/32 has a shorter grip and is still 3finger grip for me(l-xl glove) heres a pic of my 23(same size as 19) for an idea

18F6C9C2-47F4-4A04-A927-6F763057EE19-150

i got you...well the 17 is def slimmer than the beretta..but the grip presents a printing issue for me...the 19/23/32 has a shorter grip and is still 3finger grip for me(l-xl glove) heres a pic of my 23(same size as 19) for an idea

Posted Image

Thanks for the pic. Doesn't look too bad. I'll have to rent one.

Dude, you know where I stand.

Glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel - best of both worlds. I wish we had that conversation before the end of the class, you could have shot mine.

ETA: I have Glocks in 4 sizes. I am not home right now, but when I get back I will put up photos comparing the subcompact G27, compact G23, full size G22, and tactical G35. I also shoot the G35 the best out of all of them and have zero issues carrying that pistol concealed.

I don't have a long slide G24 (yet) but the G22, G35, and G24 all have the same size frame/grip. The difference in those model being in the length of the slide.

Edited by High Exposure

Dude, you know where I stand.

Glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel - best of both worlds. I wish we had that conversation before the end of the class, you could have shot mine.

ETA: I have Glocks in 4 sizes. I am not home right now, but when I get back I will put up photos comparing the subcompact G27, compact G23, full size G22, and tactical G35. I also shoot the G35 the best out of all of them and have zero issues carrying that pistol concealed.

I don't have a long slide G24 (yet) but the G22, G35, and G24 all have the same size frame/grip. The difference in those model being in the length of the slide.

The 35 and 34 are essentially the same aside from caliber and ability to convert right? I'm honestly not at all interested in .40 itself and would generally like to stay with the calibers I already have

The 35 and 34 are essentially the same aside from caliber and ability to convert right? I'm honestly not at all interested in .40 itself and would generally like to stay with the calibers I already have

That makes total sense and I have changed my vote to a G34.

Yes, the G17, G17L, G22, G24, G34, & G45 all use the the exact same frame - with minor differences to the internals.

On a side note, I would carry 9mm exclusively if I wasn't issued a .40.

OK OK I get it. Theres a bunch of glock fan boys on this forum :)

Can anyone give advantages of a glock 17/19/34 over a walther?

Subjectively the walther feels better in my hand and has a smaller profile than the 17/34. They shoot the same round, round count is limited to 15, and will be reasonably accurate compared to the shooter.

Subjectively the walther feels better in my hand and has a smaller profile than the 17/34. They shoot the same round, round count is limited to 15, and will be reasonably accurate compared to the shooter.

I have a G34 & love it. The primary advantage (IMHO) is that there are a thousand aftermarket Glock accessories; holsters, manufacturers, sights, springs, custom slides, competition barrels, etc... check out the Glockworx gallery here for a sample. Walthers, OTOH, are not nearly as prevalent as Glocks, and accessories and extra magazines can be more expensive and harder to find (though lately the same is true of Glock).

Bottom line is, I've shot both. Walthers are more unique and much cooler than Glocks, both are great for range, competition, and recreation. I will defer to others for carry suitability.

I recently decided to purchase a polymer gun as well. I wanted something smaller than my 92FS but still comfortable in my hand.

I was never a Glock guy but wanted to give G19 a shot. Unfortunately it really bothered me that most of my pinky was hanging below the grip.

I ended up getting a PPQ and I'm very happy with it. Fits my hand really well, has 15-rd mags and shoots like a dream.

So I vote Walther.

I voted "other"  Love my PX4 and I have a Glock.  The PX4 is much easier to shoot accurately, initially.  Both are accurate when practiced with, but PX4 is more accurate with less practice.

for me, at least.

But I do like my Glock 34 a lot. 

PX4 - 1A

Glock 34 - 1B

The simplicity of glocks is a huge advantage in my opinion ..... It's possible to completely disassemble with just a 1/8" punch or "glock tool" simply pushing not driving out pins ...including striker and extractor in 15-30 seconds ....try that with any other brand....less delicate parts/springs/tolerances =less things to break/fail/stick etc...... I'm not a glock nut .. I own many brands ...but respect glocks design attributes

I have shot the P99. I shot it a lot actually, we were looking at it as a choice (along with HK USP .40, M&P .40, Sig 229/226 in .40) when ditching our 3rd gen S&W 4014TSWs. The Glock was superior in every way for myself and all the testers that shot it. It came in dead last on everyone's list.

The Glock 22 was subjectively softer recoiling, exhibited significantly less muzzle flip, fit my hand better, had a "standard" manual of arms and control locations, and was generally more fun to shoot. It also ran better with our duty ammo, was easier to work on and fix, the Armorers class was significantly less involved than any of the other guns and had more aftermarket support options options available - holsters, pouches, sights, etc...

The G35 is all those things the G22 is, but better.

I have no experience with the PPQ but hear really great things about it, just haven't had the opportunity to get my dirty little hands on one.

Don't get wrapped around the axle on size, with the right choices you can CCW any gun comfortably. Get wrapped up about what you can shoot better. Think, if I was going to get in a gun fight in an hour and could pick any handgun I could legally own to defend myself with, what would I pick? Then carry that gun everyday/whenever you can.

All that being said, if you don't like the G34 then I would pick the G19 as a second choice.

I have shot the P99. I shot it a lot actually, we were looking at it as a choice (along with HK USP .40, M&P .40, Sig 229/226 in .40) when ditching our 3rd gen S&W 4014TSWs. The Glock was superior in every way for myself and all the testers that shot it. It came in dead last on everyone's list.

The Glock 22 was subjectively softer recoiling, exhibited significantly less muzzle flip, fit my hand better, had a "standard" manual of arms and control locations, and was generally more fun to shoot. It also ran better with our duty ammo, was easier to work on and fix, the Armorers class was significantly less involved than any of the other guns and had more aftermarket support options options available - holsters, pouches, sights, etc...

The G35 is all those things the G22 is, but better.

I have no experience with the PPQ but hear really great things about it, just haven't had the opportunity to get my dirty little hands on one.

Don't get wrapped around the axle on size, with the right choices you can CCW any gun comfortably. Get wrapped up about what you can shoot better. Think, if I was going to get in a gun fight in an hour and could pick any handgun I could legally own to defend myself with, what would I pick? Then carry that gun everyday/whenever you can.

The biggest sticking point right now, will probably the way it feels in my hand.  I've only held either of them, and from first impressions the walther feels much better.  I will really need to go rent/shoot someone elses before I go ahead and plunk down several hundred dollars. I have no doubt the glock is a fine weapon, but I want it to feel like an extension of my arm and hand.