Sign in to follow this  
davenj8

Shot Barnes spitfire ez 250 gr with Blackhorn 209

I have always shot 295 gr powerbelts with 2 pellets of tripl3e 7 or pyrodex out of my T/c Encore. That combo was easy to load and very, very accurate. However, I have some first hand experience with a doe I shot at 40 yards the bullet after penetrating blewup into fragments ... dead doe within 20 yrds. Then I shot a very nice buck at 92 yards penetration was not into the offside ribs there was no expansion very limited to no blood trail buck died within 100 yrds.

Shot the barnes spitfire EZ 250 gr with blackhorn 209 loose powder 110gr. The accuracy is the same as powerbelts realistically 5 shot group at 100 yrds 3inch max. Loads about as easy. This load is def more expensive. I am relying on reports, reviews, science and common sense as to the lethality as I haven't shot a deer yet.

I am changing my setup for 3 main reasons... 1.) the blackhorn powder is as advertised. less corrosive and more powerful. the triple 7 has actually eatin' my barrel and caused serious corrosive pitting.  2) The powerbelt has done the job but each time I am left feeling it was sufficient but not devastatingly lethal.  3) the new comb is much flatter shooting. My first shot with the new load using my scope set for old load shot perfect left to right but was 14 inches high at 100 yrds. I have no other way to measure trajectory but that's gotta be better....

What say all of you anyone tried the 250 or 290's

A encore has a tighter barrel to begin with when compared to like a knight or traditions. So the 250 or 290 should shoot fine. Now when you look at your powder charge, 110 of bh209 has a lot of energy behind it. In my experience, when using over 100 gr of bh209. It likes a heavier bullet to stabilize it better. My opinion is the 290's will give you a little bit better groups. Now how much? That depends on your particular gun. They are all different. Hope this helps you. 

Just shot again today went from 1-4 power scope to 3-9 groups tightened up to about 2 inch and I did a quick penetration test. I taped 4 3/4 inch whited oak flooring boards together and shot through them. I will post pictures tonight. It is scary the penetration and destruction. to say 3 inches of solid oak offers no resistance is a gross understatement. As far as I know that bullet went through and may still be going. the entry hole first board little circle. last board a splintered mess with a 2 inch gash. I would not hesitate to go right into the front shoulder