Shawnmoore81

Starbucks is caving

Looks like Starbucks is starting to cave

Posted Image

I don't drink Starbucks often. I only went here and there and when the anit's boycotted. So cutting them out totally won't be a challenge. I like wawa better. Plus I have a kurig

And they really only half assed caved

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My opinion... They had no choice. They were more than happy with the status quo but both sides over politicized their neutrality. When there are planned anti demonstrations and planned open carry days it must hurt their bottom line. Not defending them, but I'm not surprised.

Starbucks' request reminds me of a sign hanging on the door leading into my bank's lobby.  To paraphrase:  "For the safety of our customers, we request that you remove your hat, hood, and sunglasses before entering."   I assume that's so cameras can identify people as they walk in, in case of a robbery.  The problem is, the robber is just going to ignore the sign and keep covered, defeating it's entire purpose. 

How nobody sees the pointlessness of these requests and actually feels SAFER because of them baffles my brain.

To be fair, I do like their seasonal coffees.    Pumpkin spice, peppermint mocha, and hot apple cider are pretty darn good.

I found this comment on a discussion elsewhere, and I find it apt enough to deserve repeating (bold and italic text by me):

"Starbucks sells coffee. We can discuss the quality and value of the coffee, but that's what they do. When they started to get drawn into the gun frenzy a year or so ago, they tried to stay out of it, they just shrugged and said, 'whatever, just follow the local laws and leave us out of it'. That turned into OMG STARBUCKS LETS US BRING GUNS LET'S ALL BRING GUNS TO SHOW HOW MUCH WE LOVE STARBUCKS NEXT THURSDAY IS BRING YOUR GUN TO STARBUCKS DAY, OPEN CARRY YOUR GUN TO STARBUCKS NEXT THURSDAY!

Now, a year later, with gun advocates staging open-carry demonstrations there regularly, they've finally had enough, and I can't blame them.

I can't help but think of the nice girl who treats the nerd with a modicum of respect, and then a few months later has to tell him that she doesn't want to marry him."

TL;DR: This is why we can't have nice things. Did we deserve this?

qdUak.gif

I found this comment on a discussion elsewhere, and I find it apt enough to deserve repeating (bold and italic text by me):

"Starbucks sells coffee. We can discuss the quality and value of the coffee, but that's what they do. When they started to get drawn into the gun frenzy a year or so ago, they tried to stay out of it, they just shrugged and said, 'whatever, just follow the local laws and leave us out of it'. That turned into OMG STARBUCKS LETS US BRING GUNS LET'S ALL BRING GUNS TO SHOW HOW MUCH WE LOVE STARBUCKS NEXT THURSDAY IS BRING YOUR GUN TO STARBUCKS DAY, OPEN CARRY YOUR GUN TO STARBUCKS NEXT THURSDAY!

Now, a year later, with gun advocates staging open-carry demonstrations there regularly, they've finally had enough, and I can't blame them.

I can't help but think of the nice girl who treats the nerd with a modicum of respect, and then a few months later has to tell him that she doesn't want to marry him."

TL;DR: This is why we can't have nice things. Did we deserve this?

qdUak.gif

Exactly....Starbucks is all about the vibe,and recently they've been caught in the unenviable middle which ultimately affects the bottom line.I don't drink their coffee if I can help it but I see their point.

Dont particularly care about starbucks..  only time i have ever been to one is if its in a Barnes & Noble and im there with my wife..  and even then, i think ive actually gotten their coffee maybe 2 times.  its nasty coffee (bitter) and i dont frequent their establishments.  However, any company has the right to decide what they would like from their customers.  if it were a private business, they could ask for the same thing.  If you choose to boycott because open carry is hurting their business, go right ahead..  If not, thats fine too.. 

Not sure why there is that big a fuss about it..  They are not saying "no weapons in the stores"..  they are saying "we would prefer if you didnt, but will serve you even if you do"..   honestly, not much has changed

The thread subject line is, quite frankly, very sensationalist and poorly describing the 'situation'...

I didn't read this as them caving at all. They are telling their customers to please leave them out of the political BS and don't bring guns to their stores. If you're carrying then they will still serve you. They are still neither pro or anti and are still following their policy of following the local laws. They're asking their customers to knock it off.

Starbucks is yuppie lib swill. I avoid it at all costs.

I'll explain that to the dozen hard hats from the WTC construction site, three NYPD guys, two PAPD guys and a whole bunch of guys with cool NYPD Scuba Team jackets in front of me in line at sbux, every morning.

Different stroked for different folks...

Go ..... Dont go.....  Whatever.....

Starbucks just wants to be keep out of the political agenda..... Cant blame them.

All in all.....   This thread is a thread about nothing, other then the fact the OP needed something to post.....

Move on..... Nothing to see here...

I'll explain that to the dozen hard hats from the WTC construction site, three NYPD guys, two PAPD guys and a whole bunch of guys with cool NYPD Scuba Team jackets in front of me in line at sbux, every morning.

He's right. Anytime I'm in there I'm the only person who just ordered a coffee. Not some frothy coffee malty grande with sprinkles. There coffee is to bitter. I prefer wawa coffee. I get dunkin when the kids are with me so I can stay in the car.

I agree that we brought this on ourselves. Instead of enjoying that there was yuppie liberal urban company that tries to stay out of the argument, we used it as tacit support and made a big deal out of it. When we use the shrill tactics of our cowardly opponents, we will lose. They're better at it. We should quietly tip out hats at those that are ambivalent and go on our way. This discussion is not about the flavor or taste of their coffee. It's about a company in business to make money getting into a fray that can potentially piss off half it's customers.

It's like the PayPal argument. I enjoy using an anti company's service, against their will, for pro-gun purchases. It's like using the media against them. Tough, I know, but a worthy endeavor.

It's like the PayPal argument. I enjoy using an anti company's service, against their will, for pro-gun purchases. It's like using the media against them. Tough, I know, but a worthy endeavor.

An yes I find joy in that too.

My freshly-ground, hand-brewed coffee is at least as good as Starbucks', costs a lot less, takes less time, and nobody cares if I get it in my PJs before I take my shower.

Starbucks is a publicly traded company, they should do whatever they think is best for their shareholders. I drink a cup of their espresso or cappuccino once or twice a year.

My freshly-ground, hand-brewed coffee is at least as good as Starbucks', costs a lot less, takes less time, and nobody cares if I get it in my PJs before I take my shower.

Starbucks is a publicly traded company, they should do whatever they think is best for their shareholders. I drink a cup of their espresso or cappuccino once or twice a year.

013_zps7f791db9.jpg

After spending so much on insipid coffee I invested in a set up I could afford and bypass all the coffee houses on my way to work.