virpacalis

new guy question on cleaning kits

I've been considering getting this as it is good for a lot of calibers plus shotgun and ar's

http://www.galls.com/otis-deluxe-law-enforcement-gun-cleaning-system?PMSRCE=92350001&SESSIONID=000000044774797

I like the Otis kits but they have gotten expensive. I bought the whole soft kit a year and a half ago cleans everything from .17 to 12 gauge and I only spent like 60 dollars now they are over a hundred. Wish I could remember where I'd point you in the right direction

My first cleaning kit was a remington kit with the orange squeegee things, they work well here it is http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Remington_Squeeg_E_2.jpg I still use it but get a rod for your rifles to use it more effectively.

Whether you buy a kit or just enough to do your pistol, buy QUALITY cleaning parts made of metal, NOT PLASTIC!  Cleaning rods and eyelets with real metal threads hold-up much better and LAST!  Most good ones are 8/32 thread.

Doing it "on-the-cheap" winds up costing more every time!

Dave

I like the Otis kits but they have gotten expensive. I bought the whole soft kit a year and a half ago cleans everything from .17 to 12 gauge and I only spent like 60 dollars now they are over a hundred. Wish I could remember where I'd point you in the right direction

Someone told me to shop around for that Otis kit as it sometimes drops to around 60 bucks depending on the website

Whether you buy a kit or just enough to do your pistol, buy QUALITY cleaning parts made of metal, NOT PLASTIC!  Cleaning rods and eyelets with real metal threads hold-up much better and LAST!  Most good ones are 8/32 thread.

Doing it "on-the-cheap" winds up costing more every time!

Dave

2nd the no cheap plastic parts, my first kit lasted less then a year then decided to find a metal set.

A new guy here looking for advice. Are there good, basic handgun cleaning kits I should consider (for a P226 in .357 Sig)?

Budget........go to Wally World and get this......I've been using it for years.....8$

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester-8-piece-Compact-Universal-Pistol-Cleaning-Kit/16782813

Splurge......for any gun you will eve own: 58$ .....i second the Squeegees.

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Hunting-Cleaning-Maintenance-Kit/dp/B008FQIR42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379641617&sr=8-1&keywords=Squeegee+remington

I ve also been doing well with individual squeegees form Remington.

I use boresnakes for pistol barrels and they work fine. A bit trickier to use on revolver chambers.

I like the MPro7 cleaner and oil with your favorite silicone cloth. I get the tapered and rounded q-tips with long handles off Amazon. A nylon brush (or toothbrush) is also helpful.

Do you use the boresnake for pistols also? I've heard good things for rifles but not much about using them for pistols

I have only used them on rifles but i'd think it would be easier to use with pistols because you can hold the barrel in one hand and they are easily removable

boresnake is great for 22 pistols like the Ruger Mark 1/2/3 and 22/45 series if you don't like taking them apart.

I've at this point broken a few sectional aluminum and brass cleaning rods - for the record they suck - the only reason I keep them around is to take them on a hunting or range trip where bringing a full length cleaning rod is impractical.

I have been looking at the Otis (and otis type kits) and I will eventually upgrade.

boresnake is great for 22 pistols like the Ruger Mark 1/2/3 and 22/45 series if you don't like taking them apart.

I've at this point broken a few sectional aluminum and brass cleaning rods - for the record they suck - the only reason I keep them around is to take them on a hunting or range trip where bringing a full length cleaning rod is impractical.

I have been looking at the Otis (and otis type kits) and I will eventually upgrade.

I mentioned it already in this thread, but take a look at the fiberglass cleaning rods as well.  I really like mine and they don't bend/break like the cheap sectional ones.

Now opting not for a kit but for specific pieces. My current short list includes:
     Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod (27-45 cal., 12 in.)
     Pro-Shot bore brushes (brass/bronze & nylon), jag, and wads
     Hoppes brushes (nylon & bronze)
     Ballistol
     Lubriplate 130A

Corrections/additions remain, of course, most welcome.