Sign in to follow this  
Brian B

Savage 111 or 11VT package rifles?

I am thinking of getting a scoped rifle for 100-300 yard shooting at CJ. It will be more for just messing around with for a change of pace from the pistols. I prefer 30-06 or .308. I have no intention of ever trying to build a 1000 yard rifle or anything like that.

The scopes included are a 4-12x40 bushnell or a 3-9 Nikon BDC, depending on the model. I may eventually upgrade but will most likely keep the scope for a while. Both feature the Savage Accutrigger. I would have no intention of upgrading the stocks unless I become obsessed with the build and I doubt that it would happen.

How are these package rifles? How are the scopes that are included? I have always heard good things about Savages with accuracy. I have shot some 700s that I liked but I also did not like the package 700s that friends have bought.

I appreciate any input, good or bad.

Brian

I was wondering the same thing.  Which packaged scope is a better buy?  By brand rep alone Nikon should be on top but an extra 3X is hard to overlook.  A shooting buddy just bought one with the Bushnell from Dick's on sale for $500.  We haven't shot it yet but from dry firing alone the Accutrigger felt amazing.  

Keep in mind that both Nikon and Bushnell make several lines of scopes - from very low-end to very high-end. Package rifles usually come with low-end scopes. IMHO, better to buy the rifle and mount your own scope.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I've seen these at dicks the 11vt model in 308 seems like a decent deal at 550. It has accutrigger and accustok just like the 10 series and a detachable mag if I remember correctly.

I did a little research and couldn't find answers to major differences between the 10 and 11 series. Granted I do my research super tired after work so I may have missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I am a fan of the 30-06 and already have ammo for it, and if I get a 308 I would have an excuse for an M1A or possible AR10 addition.

I am not really interested in a .223 at this time but I agree it does easily satisfy my current want. I am use to a Garand and a Mauser. I like to feel what I am shooting.

I like the packages because I would only have to tune them up by tightening up the mounts with a little locktite. I know I may have to upgrade eventually and it would make sense to do them separately but for only playing the precision rifle game a few times a year I think either scope would be OK. I do think the Nikon would be the better scope, quality wise, but the bushnell reviews do not seem that bad either.

Brian