CAPTAIN

Laws on shooting compound bow in yard or heavily populated area?

I live in a heavily populated of Ocean County and am wondering what the laws are regarding the use of target shooting a compound bow in a populated neighborhood? Our backyards all butt up against each others, and lot sizes are about 100x150 or so.

The reason I'm asking, is today I found an arrow literally sticking out of the ground DIRECTLY under my child's swing set! My son is 18 months old and roams the backyard constantly (obviously under our supervision), and when the gates are locked so he can't get out, I feel totally safe in letting him run around.

The arrow was on an angle, obviously from over the fence directly behind me, so I peered over the fence and saw a large black square target set up on a lawn chair. As I turned around, I saw TWO MORE arrows laying in the grass on my property! That's THREE arrows I just found in my yard where my wife lays out to get a sun tan and my toddler runs and plays innocently.

Needless to say, I'm pretty heated about this situation, and went to talk to the homeowner but no one was home. 

My question to you all is, what are the laws regarding target shooting your bow in your backyard? I've heard from another bow owner (I don't own a bow) that the laws are the same as discharging a firearm in your yard. Is this true?

I'd like to speak with the owner and resolve this without getting the authorities involved as I'd rather not have any 'bad blood' within the neighborhood unless necessary, and am hoping he is willing to compromise so I don't (And I DEFINITLY WILL I he doesn't) get the cops knocking on his door.

If there is one thing in this world that you DO NOT mess with, it's a man's family and endangering my 18 month old son and wife with your careless (and terribly aimed) archery certainly falls into that category!

So is this a local, county, state, or federal law....and exactly what does it say?

From what I have read it falls under the no discharge law.  I used to shoot my bow into the garage where I live, after I read it falling under the ND law I have stopped.  Next time I head to the PD for a P2P I was going to ask about it.  You could go down to town hall and just ask.

Depends on the town. Most towns the falls under the no discharge law. Advise check with the town to get your facts in order. Then talk to the homeowner without involving PD. Depending on how the conversation goes then you take it to the next level.

Take pictures!

I am a decent archer but would never do target in my backyard. A simple mishap and it's all over.

I live in a heavily populated of Ocean County and am wondering what the laws are regarding the use of target shooting a compound bow in a populated neighborhood? Our backyards all butt up against each others, and lot sizes are about 100x150 or so.

The reason I'm asking, is today I found an arrow literally sticking out of the ground DIRECTLY under my child's swing set! My son is 18 months old and roams the backyard constantly (obviously under our supervision), and when the gates are locked so he can't get out, I feel totally safe in letting him run around.

The arrow was on an angle, obviously from over the fence directly behind me, so I peered over the fence and saw a large black square target set up on a lawn chair. As I turned around, I saw TWO MORE arrows laying in the grass on my property! That's THREE arrows I just found in my yard where my wife lays out to get a sun tan and my toddler runs and plays innocently.

Needless to say, I'm pretty heated about this situation, and went to talk to the homeowner but no one was home. 

My question to you all is, what are the laws regarding target shooting your bow in your backyard? I've heard from another bow owner (I don't own a bow) that the laws are the same as discharging a firearm in your yard. Is this true?

I'd like to speak with the owner and resolve this without getting the authorities involved as I'd rather not have any 'bad blood' within the neighborhood unless necessary, and am hoping he is willing to compromise so I don't (And I DEFINITLY WILL I he doesn't) get the cops knocking on his door.

If there is one thing in this world that you DO NOT mess with, it's a man's family and endangering my 18 month old son and wife with your careless (and terribly aimed) archery certainly falls into that category!

So is this a local, county, state, or federal law....and exactly what does it say?

This is why I don't like bows.

Had they been bullets, you would never have noticed or gotten upset :)

Every town is different as to whether or not they ban discharging. Some may ban discharging of firearms but not other things like a bow.

Regardless of what laws your town has passed, your neighbor is not shooting in a safe manner, so I don't see how he could be allowed to continue do it if it's putting his neighbors at risk.

Are these compound bow arrows or childs toy arrows?   What are they made from?  Aluminum, carbon fiber, or wood

I can't imagine an adult, shooting a compound bow, knowingly let an arrow miss the target -- 3 times  and then he losses the arrows to your backyard

Really sounds like a youth who was unsupervised.  Now this doesn't make it any less dangerous but it does make your course of action a little clearer.

I would certainly try and contact the neighbor.   If you get a terrible response you must go to the police and protect your family.  There's not much choice.

It's the type of accidents you read about in the news, and I certainly don't want to think about that scenario.

Swingset is probably about 30-40 feet from fence and that's where I found the one lodged into the ground. The other two were found about 5-10 feet from the fence just laying in the grass. Not sure what he was thinking, especially not coming over into my yard and claiming his nice carbon hunting arrows when I wasn't home so I didn't find them.

What is the 'No Discharge Law'? Is there a generic law that is adapted by most of these towns? It's Brick, NJ.

Are these compound bow arrows or childs toy arrows?   What are they made from?  Aluminum, carbon fiber, or wood

I can't imagine an adult, shooting a compound bow, knowingly let an arrow miss the target -- 3 times  and then he losses the arrows to your backyard

Really sounds like a youth who was unsupervised.  Now this doesn't make it any less dangerous but it does make your course of action a little clearer.

I would certainly try and contact the neighbor.   If you get a terrible response you must go to the police and protect your family.  There's not much choice.

My thoughts initially as well, but they were 31" Allen carbon arrows with screw on round target tips.

My thoughts initially as well, but they were 31" Allen carbon arrows with screw on round target tips.

That changes things....    I'm not exactly sure how I'd handle it.  Really depends on your relationship with that neighbor. 

Ever had issues before?  Is this person approachable?  Have you ever had contact before?

As for the discharge laws -- I know my town treats bows as a firearm regarding discharge but they don't enforce it unless they have to.  If your safe, and respectful they won't bother you.

If a neighbor complains you'll be told to stop -- disregard that and all bets are off

Stick an arrow in the neighbors garage --  and they could nail you bad if your an ass

Spoke to him a couple times over the 6 years I've owned this house, seemed like a really nice/cool guy, probably 40's or so. Never had an issue before and would prefer to not have one now as well. I think I'm definitely going to speak with him and try to be cool headed about it, hopefully he fully understands that I'm not playing around and this ceases immediately. I took pictures just in case, and might even keep one of his arrows as evidence if this happens again. Should I give them back?

If he's been a decent guy in the past then I would certainly head over and talk with him.  One ounce of smartass and I'd walk away and call the police.

I'd leave the arrows home, just in case he's an ass.  If the conversation goes well, tell him he can come over and get his arrows.  If he's a dick tell him to get the arrows from the police.

I have to add --  It's never fun to fight with a neighbor --  avoid it if you can --  but, you have to protect your family 1st!!!

Regardless of whether the law in your town specifically bans discharge of bows or not, firing arrows onto a neighbor's property is still actionable under criminal law and civil law on the basis of trespass, recklessness, nuisance, etc. 

If the arrow harms someone, then whoever fired it could be convicted of assault or reckless endangerment. 

If the arrows keep coming over the fence, then you can get him arrested for harassment. 

You could get a restraining order against him. 

Because there are so many laws already out there, you could get him on any number of things. 

If he is a reasonable person, he will apologize and promise it will never happen again and beg you not to bring the authorities in. 

If he is not reasonable, all you have to do is go to the police and sign a complaint and they will certainly make him regret ever picking up a bow. 

Then you can take your time in deciding whether you want to drop charges against him, or have him explain himself to the town judge.

If he's been a decent guy in the past then I would certainly head over and talk with him.  One ounce of smartass and I'd walk away and call the police.

I'd leave the arrows home, just in case he's an ass.  If the conversation goes well, tell him he can come over and get his arrows.  If he's a dick tell him to get the arrows from the police.

I have to add --  It's never fun to fight with a neighbor --  avoid it if you can --  but, you have to protect your family 1st!!!

Unfortunatly for me, I work a 16 hour double tomorrow and won't be home all day, but I'll give it a try around 7:30 am, or should I let it roll until Saturday morning?

Unfortunatly for me, I work a 16 hour double tomorrow and won't be home all day, but I'll give it a try around 7:30 am, or should I let it roll until Saturday morning?

I would stop by at 7:30 if thats the only time you can --  It's important enough to justify possibly waking him --  and as Kman said, if he's a decent person he'll appreciate you coming to see him before contacting the police

If you can't get him in the morning leave him a note --  Just so he doesn't shoot any more into the yard while your gone

Note can be simple --  " we need to talk, found your arrows in my yard -- call me"  

good luck 

I would stop by at 7:30 if thats the only time you can --  It's important enough to justify possibly waking him --  and as Kman said, if he's a decent person he'll appreciate you coming to see him before contacting the police

If you can't get him in the morning leave him a note --  Just so he doesn't shoot any more into the yard while your gone

Note can be simple --  " we need to talk, found your arrows in my yard -- call me"  

good luck 

I appreciate the comments gentlemen, I'll keep you posted on what happens.

I'm glad this thread came up, bc I recently went to an archery store that opened up nearby and the owner made a point of telling me I could shoot at will in my backyard with a crossbow bc there were no discharge laws that prohibited it.  This made getting one somewhat attractive to have.  I'm gona have to look into my towns policy.  

I sincerely hope the owner of the shop is not misleading ppl.  

Edit:  I also live in Ocean County, and it is possible your neighbor is misinformed as to what the laws are.  

I'm glad this thread came up, bc I recently went to an archery store that opened up nearby and the owner made a point of telling me I could shoot at will in my backyard with a crossbow bc there were no discharge laws that prohibited it.  This made getting one somewhat attractive to have.  I'm gona have to look into my towns policy.  

I sincerely hope the owner of the shop is not misleading ppl.  

If you follow the link above where OP posts the brick laws it also has a section on target ranges --

You may be able to discharge but you may also need a permit for a range --  

+1 Although I have to say, I did call the police when a guy 2 doors down put an arrow into my travel trailer. I didn't want to get into it with the guy because he's hard to understand (foreign accent). The arrow went through his fence and over the neighbors deck where the woman sunbathes most days. Police spoke to him but he swore it wasn't his arrow. A couple months later, he put an arrow into a tire on my wife's car.

Wow.

First, carbon fiber arrows ain't cheap. Him leaving them there, or whomever shot them, is strange.

Second, if it was a compound bow, the typical target that could stop a carbon arrow from a typical modern bow is a bit big to place on a lawn chair.

This seems like it was a kid screwing around. Dangerous as hell, no doubt. But if this guy is using a compound bow with carbon arrows at a target on a lawn chair without a backstop and missed 3 times badly enough to end up in your yard, there is a bigger problem.

I started the process with my son for bowhunting. He got one and I updated my old-ass Bear compound from the 80's After spending some time with the new one(PSE), I have a healthy respect for modern compound bows. Hell, any one would. That's the worrisome part of all this. Wish you luck, if the guy is at all reasonable, it should go well.

Soon we'll have assault bows. High capacity quivers.

Frankly, no air gun holds a candle to a bow... Just sayin'