CAPTAIN

Laws on shooting compound bow in yard or heavily populated area?

I found this:

http://ecode360.com/6897097

Does that include bows?

Although, unless I'm missing something, this part seems to say it's OK to discharge anything on your own property.............

[Amended 8-11-1987 by Ord. No. 270-A-87]

Nothing contained in this article shall be interpreted to prohibit the use, discharge or possession of firearms by:

A. Public officers or other persons enumerated in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6, as amended.
B. Persons lawfully using firearms in the defense or protection of person or property.
C. Persons keeping or carrying any firearms about their residence, premises or business, or on land leased by them; or to or from any place of purchase or repair of firearms and their residence, premises, business or leasehold; provided, however, that they fully comply with the appropriate sections of Title 2A of the New Jersey Revised Statutes, as amended. Editor's Note: Amended at time of adoption of Code (see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I).

Spoke to the neighbor early this morning, and he wasn't as helpful in the situation as I'd like, but we'll see what happens.

Basically I showed him the pictures of the arrows stuck in the ground under the swingset and in the grass near the fence and he told me it was his 13 year old son who did it unsupervised once and that's when it happened, and that his son HAD told him about the missing arrows landing in my yard but he didn't retrieve them because he didn't want to go into my yard. Said it wasn't a big deal so he figured I would just throw them back over the fence into his yard like I do when kids lose the balls over the fence. He downplayed it and told me it was a $20 kids set he bought at Walmart, so it would be safe if they sold it 'at Walmart'. He told me that it doesn't go that far because it's a cheap kids set, but it obviously went pretty far if it landed at least 35 feet into my yard and stuck into the ground under the swingset.  I informed him about the 'no discharge law' that may be in effect for this town and told him that these were not cheap kids target arrows in which he told me they were $1.99 arrows they bought because the other ones broke. He then started to get a little on the offensive and asked me to move the car hood (an extra for my father's hot rod) that was leaning on the fence because that 'was unsafe for his kids when they ride their power wheels' (the hood in question is leaning on the sturdy post of the fence that I own). I told him that has nothing to do with a weapon being shot in his backyard and endangering my family, but I'll gladly go move it, which I did as soon as I got home. I couldn't believe he was trying to turn something around on me, telling me that the fence isn't in great shape (which it certainly isn't perfect) and is unsafe for his kids (well shooting arrows at it doesn't help it dummy)

At this point I paused and nearly walked off his porch and straight to the police department, but I tried to keep my cool and not blow this up into a neighborhood war. At this point his wife chimed in and tried to back peddle, saying that what he was trying to say was that it won't happen again and that I didn't need to go that far into the details. They asked where the arrows are and I gave them 2 of the 3 back and showed them that these were not 'kids' arrows and in fact are 31" carbon hunting arrows for an adult's arm span in the full draw position that could easily make my child a statistic. He then started in on the fence again, and that I need to replace it, and would offer his help in replacing it (reluctantly). So I left it at that, I told him that I didn't want to have a problem with a neighbor, and that's why I wanted to speak to him as a gentleman and a father first, and not get the cops involved.

So we'll see what happens. I still have one arrow, all the pictures, and actually recorded our conversation so I think I covered all of the bases if this heads to the next level which I'm hoping it doesn't. I gave him the copies of the pictures I took, and my cell phone number so if there's any other problems (like the super dangerous car hood leaning on the fence post), that he can contact me about it.

Sounds like a real jerk to me.  If it was a wal mart kid's bow it would be lower power than a hunting bow but that doesn't matter - it can still cause serious injury if there is no proper backstop that is big enough to take all of the shots.  Wal Mart sells plenty of stuff that can cause serious harm so just because he bought it there doesn't mean anything. 

Even just throwing an arrow over the fence is dangerous and not comparable at all to a ball going over the fence. 

And since when is it your responsibility to put in a "better fence" so his kid can fire arrows at it?

The guy thinks basically that your family should be happy to be his kid's backstop. 

If his kid is going to be shooting a bow in the backyard, he ought to have a proper foam target, and at a minimum a big sheet of plywood or OSB behind it to take any arrows that miss. 

Better yet, if this guy thinks it is no big deal, then he can put the target against the side of his own house and have his kid fire in that direction with his back to your property, instead of shooting it in your direction.

I used to shoot arrows in my backyard when I was little, but it was a very weak regular bow and I had a lot of distance behind the target so a missed arrow would go into the ground, not into the neighbor's property.

If one more arrow goes over the fence, or through the fence, you probably are going to have to call the police in order to get this guy to take his parenting and property owning responsiblilities seriously.  You don't have to press charges, you can just have the police make a visit.

I agree,  turns out this guy is an ass --  

Is it your fence?  Have you gotten a look at his side of the fence?  Is it all shot up?  

Maybe replacing the fence isn't a bad idea except he's not going to help you. He's going to hire the professionals to do it on his dime. 

Hopefully it will just stop.  But, I have to agree, If there's ever a next arrow, leave it in the ground and let the police remove it.  

Captain,

That's repulsive.  It just goes to show America today.  It's essentially "your" fault that his kid is firing arrows into your yard.  I yelled at the kid next door for kicking a soccer ball into our fence.  I can't imagine what I'd do in your situation.

This is a picture of the arrow stuck in the ground at an angle, as I found it, under the swingset. The fence in question is in the picture, and that's the direction the arrows came over the fence. To put in perspective of how far away the swingset is from the fence, that shed is 18 feet long.

043.jpg

This is looking through the swingset at my house where the arrow landed and stuck pretty deep into the ground. It's easily 40 feet from the fence.

047.jpg

These are the other two arrows I found near the fence that I'm assuming skipped under the fence. Note the big bad 'dangerous' hood leaning on the fence post.

050.jpg

This is looking over the fence into his yard where he (or the kid) must have moved the target after he lost the arrows into my yard

053.jpg

I stopped by the police department this morning on my way to work just to ask what exactly the town law is. I explained the situation to the sergeant and he said he didn't know off hand and had to look it up. After 15 minutes of him looking through the computer and some books he had, he said nothing really states that a bow is a firearm, but regardless what he's doing is clearly negligent, and anything can be considered a weapon if used in a manner like that. He asked if I wanted them to go by and speak to him, and I declined, telling him I spoke to him already and I think/hope I made my point clear. He again asked if I wanted them to document this, and I avoided that as well. I showed him the picture of the arrow under the swingset and he agreed that was unacceptable. He again asked me what street I lived on, and I reluctantly told him the neighborhood I lived in and left it at that. He suggested that I follow up with code enforcement on Monday to get a clearer answer on if it does in fact fall under the 'no discharge law' or any other statute. I told him I'd be calling the police if I find one more arrow in my yard or if I see him shooting it at all back there.

As of Sunday morning, the black target is still in his yard, but laying face down in the grass not far from where it is in that picture of his backyard. I was really hoping that he would of made it disappear after our conversation, but apparently he really is a dick and doesn't care.

Fortunately for him, I work 60-70 hours a week with 4-5 doubles mixed in and I'm not home that much to monitor his activities back there, so the chances of me catching someone shooting in the act is slim.

Unfortunately for me, I've been pretty stressed about the situation and ultimately the tension I now feel with him. I can't jeopardize my family's safety though, so it looks like I'll be digging in for a long battle with this clown. The way he's acting, I can expect him to be calling the cops on me at the drop of a dime now, for noise complaints when I'm working on my race car or hot rods in the garage with the air compressor and air gun running, or adjusting the carbs and revving the motor some. My detached garage is just to the left in these photos and sits in the back corner of the property, so it's close to his backyard.

Get a game cam and point it at his yard from yours. Nothing like video evidence

Working on your cars during reasonable hours even if its a bit loud is not a danger to any one's safety. 

I probably would have called the cops after the conversation you had with that clown.

Anyone else notice that it looks like the target was set up to be used perpendicular with the view of the camera... Using the tree as a back-stop.

I wouldn't chalk this up to an inaccurate kid... That looks like a deliberate shot over the Yard in my opinion... Especially to clear the fence by that distance and to stick near the swing set at the angle... Imagine the upward trajectory that arrow would have needed from the other yard.

Change your mind... File that complaint brother... Get that shit documented. Could be that your dealing with some sort of child psyco...

And by all means... Go and tell that ass to take the target out of his yard... Leaving it there is a big purposeful FU if you ask me...

The way he's acting, I can expect him to be calling the cops on me at the drop of a dime now, for noise complaints when I'm working on my race car or hot rods in the garage with the air compressor and air gun running, or adjusting the carbs and revving the motor some. My detached garage is just to the left in these photos and sits in the back corner of the property, so it's close to his backyard.

See this is why I am reluctant to first talk to a neighbor about a problem--especially one I do not know well.  They will get defensive, try to avoid responsibility and make it somehow your fault, and then they go after you for the smallest issue.  It is unfortunate, but I think it is better to just call the law and let them deal with it.

As you found out, Brick has no prohibition on firing a bow. Point Pleasant explicitly bans firing arrows in Its discharge ordnance.

Unlike what someone mentioned, you are not entitled to a restraining against your neighbor.

Without finding some random case law, since there was no damage or injury, I can't see any criminal charges, as the purpose of target shooting a bow isn't unlawful in Brick Twp. It can't hurt to file a police report if things escalate, but I'd give him back his arrows, and ask him to shoot towards a different neighbor

As of yesterday, the target has disappeared, so I'm going to sit tight and hopefully we don't have another incident. If I see them shooting back there, or find another arrow in my yard, the police will be called immediately.

I visited with code enforcement Tuesday, who sent me back up to the police department. PD couldn't find anything that prohibits it, but said that is certainly unacceptable.

Code also suggested that I attend a town council meeting and speak to the council about changing the law, as that should not be OK to do with these smaller lot sizes. I don't want to get that into this, he removed the target, so I'm ok for right now. But if another incident does occur, the gloves are off and the cops will be there immediately and I will be at the next town meeting bringing this to the next level. If most of the surrounding towns have a law prohibiting bows, why doesn't brick?

Regardless, I'm in a holding pattern, hopefully for good.

I shoot a 170 pound crossbow in my backyard(.44 acre lot) from 30 yards every now and then. Real crossbow target with proper target holder using the 4 foot elevated ground my porch sits on as a backstop for the possibility of a rogue bolt with my home as the ultimate backstop. Both my neighbors have multiple children so I took great care in planning how to do my shooting safely. So I have a good amount of experience on this subject.

This parent IMO is horrible. Outright dangerously bad. He obviously has little to no control over his kid or doesn't care at all about him. I get the kids position, I wanted a bow and arrow at his age too. The problem is he is an excitable kid who's brain isn't focused on safety but how soon he can play with his new toy. Notice I said toy- that is what he sees that bow as and it's no surprise at all by his father's comment saying it was a toy too.

The problem isn't the kid or the fact that he's learning to shoot a bow and arrow but that he has no one to guide him correctly. The fact that from your complaints only changed the target to a new neighbors direction still without any real backstop proves this entirely. That tree is NOT a proper backstop since it seems to be at best 1 foot wider then the target. I don't know the kid, really I don't. He maybe a really good kid who as I said before just too eager to factor everything in and has a genuine interest in a great hobby. Or he can be the anti-christ.

Whatever you do though I personally feel that going to a council meeting to make a law about shooting a bow is the wrong direction. Could he of hurt your family- absolutely. Again, the fault lies in the atrocious parenting he is receiving and not the hobby itself. As a gun owner in NJ you must feel some semblance about obtuse laws that punish the whole for the faults of the few. Imagine how difficult you'll make life for those who do shoot responsibly in your whole town.

I get that you work a ton and have little to no time, but maybe you can spare some and have a little talk with the kid. Use your knowledge of firearms to educate him on why his methods are not only wrong but also dangerous. Show him the picture of the arrow at your kids swing and tell him to imagine the rest of his life forever changed cause a stray arrow took the life of a baby. Show him some proper ways he can do his shooting safely and encourage him to take lessons with professional instructors who can refine his skill and technique so the likelyhood of a stray arrow drops considerably. I get that it's not your kid and thus none of this is your responsibility. However based on his fathers comments I doubt he is a place he can go for proper guidance even if you persuaded the father to do so. You can either make their life difficult or try to improve the situation for everyone- either choice is going to take time away from you.

Whatever you do though I personally feel that going to a council meeting to make a law about shooting a bow is the wrong direction. Could he of hurt your family- absolutely. Again, the fault lies in the atrocious parenting he is receiving and not the hobby itself. As a gun owner in NJ you must feel some semblance about obtuse laws that punish the whole for the faults of the few. Imagine how difficult you'll make life for those who do shoot responsibly in your whole town.

I agree with this.  Petitioning the town to change the law could affect someone who lives across town, has a proper backstop, and could have an acre buffer beyond that on all sides.  I'm telling you, he is already breaking trespass laws.  A lot of police do not know every nuance of every law.  Just because shooting arrows is not specified in your town's laws does not mean people can fire onto your property.  I'm not trying to agree with your neighbor, don't get me wrong.  I would be furious in your situation.

It's a good sign if the target disappeared.  I would install motion external cameras or one running 24x7 to a hard drive to record everything.  Cameras let your neighbors know you are watching them when you're not home.

When dealing with neighbors, I find that they are mostly thinking about their own interests, even when they are knowingly or unknowingly violating your rights.