Njsarge

Pepper spray for the wife

Here is the law,

Any non-felon 18 or over may possess for the purpose of self-defense "one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air". Section 2C:39-6i. 

My suggestion is if you have a dicks sporting goods by you anywhere they have it and some other shops carry it. It will work just as well if not better on animals then humans, animals are more sensitive so it will definitely get the job done.

I am pretty sure pepper spray isn't effective against dogs, can anyone else confirm/deny thought.  I could have sworn I was told its useless on dogs.

Not true, it is very effective I carry the Kimber pepper blaster II everyday as an Animal Control Officer. Its also very effective on Fox and Father in laws

As far as I know bear spray is not legal in NJ all bear sprays are above .75oz. I do know that most park rangers turn a blind eye to hikers carrying bear spray I don't know if a cop would do the same. Also it on the bear spray I carry while hiking states on the side of the can that it violates federal law if used on and humans or domesticated animals. I cant recommend the Kimber pepper blast II enough. when it is deployed there is a loud pop which also helps stop an attacking animal as well as the pepper spray.

Just a curious observation about the above statute- it says "chemical substance" but isnt actuall pepper spray organic ? Or am I just looking too hard for an arguement(sarcasm)

I advise that you only use a spray that is a "natural substance". Will sound a lot better in court. Natural vs chemical.

"one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce..."

So, if I keep a Pepper Blaster in the console of my truck, and if my wife keeps a Pepper Blaster in her purse, I guess she automatically becomes a *dangerous criminal* when she borrows my truck. 

"one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce..."

So, if I keep a Pepper Blaster in the console of my truck, and if my wife keeps a Pepper Blaster in her purse, I guess she automatically becomes a *dangerous criminal* when she borrows my truck. 

A little too tinfoil hat there....

As far as I know bear spray is not legal in NJ all bear sprays are above .75oz. I do know that most park rangers turn a blind eye to hikers carrying bear spray I don't know if a cop would do the same. Also it on the bear spray I carry while hiking states on the side of the can that it violates federal law if used on and humans or domesticated animals. I cant recommend the Kimber pepper blast II enough. when it is deployed there is a loud pop which also helps stop an attacking animal as well as the pepper spray.

If I'm not mistaken, bear spray doesn't fall under the 3/4 oz limit because it's not designed for use against humans.

If I'm not mistaken, bear spray doesn't fall under the 3/4 oz limit because it's not designed for use against humans.

Not sure may be a grey area. I carry bear spray when hiking or fishing in areas with allot of bear activity. While I am at work its the pepper blaster for aggressive dogs or people. Animal control officers are not exempt from the .75oz law.