svt3183

recommend a bolt cleaning tool

searching around i see there are tools available to help with carbon removal on the bolt tail and inside the bolt carrier.  does anyone recommend a particular product they use for this?  I was looking at the KZ CRT, Magna-Matic CRT-15, Otis B.O.N.E., etc.

water and a little simple green works great in the $80 ultra sonic cleaning from Harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

I got one of these with the 25% off coupon http://www.savings.com/printable/2173908-deal.html?sid=867363296-5-275197364713

exp 9/30

Cleaning rod, wire brush, ap brush, clp, and if you want it "inspection" clean; q tips, rags, and small pipe cleaners.

Almost forgot: a knife or similar sharp object to scrape carbon off the bolt.

Those things have worked for me for over 45 years of shooting ARs, M16s, and M4s. There really isn't a need for a "special tool" for everything.

Those things have worked for me for over 45 years of shooting ARs, M16s, and M4s. There really isn't a need for a "special tool" for everything.

I am new too shooting AR's and have never had trouble removing carbon from any gun like I am having on the AR bolt tail. Soaking and wire brush aren't making a dent, that is what started my search. I did just get a bottle of CLP so maybe that will help.

searching around i see there are tools available to help with carbon removal on the bolt tail and inside the bolt carrier. does anyone recommend a particular product they use for this? I was looking at the KZ CRT, Magna-Matic CRT-15, Otis B.O.N.E., etc.

CATM4 tool

I am new too shooting AR's and have never had trouble removing carbon from any gun like I am having on the AR bolt tail. Soaking and wire brush aren't making a dent, that is what started my search. I did just get a bottle of CLP so maybe that will help.

Hoppes or carb cleaner will remove the carbon easier. A brass key also makes a good scraper. If you scrape some of the carbon off first you give the solvent more surface area to work on.

water and a little simple green works great in the $80 ultra sonic cleaning from Harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

I got one of these with the 25% off coupon http://www.savings.com/printable/2173908-deal.html?sid=867363296-5-275197364713

exp 9/30

Might get one of these...  Thanks for the coupon link.

The carbon on the bolt tail is easily removed with a knife or any other sharp object. I used a small pocket knife when I was in the service to do that job. If there was a lot of carbon build up on that part of the bolt, I would scrape as much off as I could then soak it in clp while I cleaned the rest of the rifle. I remember when they issued us Otis cleaning kits, hated it so much. All that extra stuff and I used maybe a quarter of the tools.

Just FYI, Carbon on the bolt tail is no big deal and you can actually do more damage to the bolt cleaning it too enthusiastically than the carbon itself will ever do. A quick spritz of some of the cleaner of your choice and a wipe with a rag relatively soon after shooting will suffice for function and reliability purposes.

I sir do agree.

I have one, and it is a great idea, but the tolerances on the bit used to clean the tail of the bolt seem a bit lacking. 

I'm probably going ot pick up an OTIS BONE to try it out.. The design looks machined rather than cast, and it is cheaper. $16 from some vendors on amazon. 

Good for you. I guess if you dont do things ur way , it must be the wrong way

No if I did things your way, it would be the wrong way lol. I've seen plenty of positive ways to clean a firearm, not one of them includes power tool. I would be surprised to see a single person here agree with you on that one. Vlad had it right about gun smiths too.

No if I did things your way, it would be the wrong way lol. I've seen plenty of positive ways to clean a firearm, not one of them includes power tool. I would be surprised to see a single person here agree with you on that one. Vlad had it right about gun smiths too.

Oh well.. never had an issue.. obviously your not open to new ideas. 5k rmps on a brass wheel is just enough to knock off tough carbon.no finish loss at all.. no removal of metal.

I am open to new ideas when they work better and faster than the way I am doing things currently.

When I can clean my bolt to a satisfactiry condition without any risk of damage to my parts and reassemble my rifle by the time you have chucked up the Dremel, that is ineffecient and not a new idea worth adopting. IMO

I have seen more weapons damaged by over-enthusiastic cleaning than by leaving them a little bit dirty, just sayin' ;)

exp 9/30

Got one of these and just started using it.  For a test I put my Glock barrel in for a few minutes and didn't notice that much of the crude was removed from the ramp area.  How long do you normally run it to accomplish anything?