Sign in to follow this  
db1775

Deer Zone Suggestions

Hi guys,

For my first season out I am looking at hunting deer in the Six Day firearm and the Permit Shotgun seasons in the NE corner of the state.

I was interested mostly in hunting Bear Swamp WMA or Stokes SF in Zone 1. Over at the NJ Hunter Forums I am reading a lot of conflicting posts - split evenly between the zone being hunted out and excellent deer ground. So I don't really know what to think. I haven't been able to get up there yet to see for myself.

I  was wondering if anyone here has any recent experience in any of these zones that can help me - or suggestions for better zones in the NE area.

Thanks,

Dan

Zones 1, 2, 4 & 5 all hold deer. But during 6-day firearm those areas there will not be as quiet or placid as during the bow season right now. The advance of the polyester fluorescent orange army will change the outlook of the woods and deer movement dramatically. I suggest you get out in the woods now and pattern deer movement, find areas that hold deer, find food sources and find thick cover where they will escape to when pressured and you may be successful. If you get familiar with the lay of the land, you can use the onset of all those hunters in the woods during 6-day to your advantage. What you'll gain is knowledge that will make you successful later in the permit seasons when deer get a chance to go back to their normal patterns.

Expect to see bear sign in these areas.