Bully

Another New Hunter... Now What???

As for "still hunting" & "stalking" deer, Google a guy named Larry Benoit about his exploits tracking and hunting deer. He's written some books as well. Interesting.

I will hopefully be taking a hunters ed course soon. Want to get my hunting license. More interested in bird hunting than anything else.

When it comes to bird hunting, like upland birds over a good bird dog; there is nothing better.

Congrats! Let's see what I can help ya with...

H&R USH - EXCELLENT choice. I have the 12ga, but if I did it again I would buy the 20ga without question. The 12ga gets you slightly flatter trajectory, but this is irrelevant for 100yd and closer shots.

Camo? Absolutely not. I use camo when I bowhunt, but it's effectiveness there is still a question in my mind.

Scent-killer detergent on comfortable hiking/camping clothes is what I use for gun season, and I've never been made by a deer with a gun in my hands(you should still consider wind direction when selecting where you're going to set yourself up).

If I can get myself squared away with schoolwork this semester I'll try and take a group out to share my knowledge.

I too would be interested.  I just need a slug gun. :)

As for "still hunting" & "stalking" deer, Google a guy named Larry Benoit about his exploits tracking and hunting deer. He's written some books as well. Interesting.

When it comes to bird hunting, like upland birds over a good bird dog; there is nothing better.

I would like to do some bird hunting,

But it seems like a whole separate money pit as far as gear. I don't have a dog, or a pickup, or decoys, or a layout blind or a boat.

I was thinking about getting a float tube boat for early goose season and just paddling since I don't have a dog. But that won't fly for cold weather in the water.

I will stick to the tree rats and my mediocre search for the whitetail of my dreams (any whitetail)

I would like to do some bird hunting,

But it seems like a whole separate money pit as far as gear. I don't have a dog, or a pickup, or decoys, or a layout blind or a boat.

I was thinking about getting a float tube boat for early goose season and just paddling since I don't have a dog. But that won't fly for cold weather in the water.

I will stick to the tree rats and my mediocre search for the whitetail of my dreams (any whitetail)

As a relatively new hunter (2nd/3rd season, right?), do you go out by yourself or do you have a partner?  I'm just wondering because this will be my first season and I plan on just flying blind, going out alone to learn what I can by experience, backed up by what I've read/watched on the Interwebz. Not expecting much beyond just getting time in the woods, but it would be good to hear other beginners' experience. Just about everything I've read on forums points towards newbies learning by being on our own and just going out there and observing.

As a relatively new hunter (2nd/3rd season, right?), do you go out by yourself or do you have a partner? I'm just wondering because this will be my first season and I plan on just flying blind, going out alone to learn what I can by experience, backed up by what I've read/watched on the Interwebz. Not expecting much beyond just getting time in the woods, but it would be good to hear other beginners' experience. Just about everything I've read on forums points towards newbies learning by being on our own and just going out there and observing.

That's really the idea. I'm going out to try and bag some rats and get some time in the woods. Jon's guidance and some book learning has given me a foundation to know what to look for identifying bedding areas, food and water sources. Hike in as deep as you can for gun season because the clubs will push the deer in as they drive across the woods. Hopefully I can pick a good spot or at least if unsuccessful I can identify why my spot was bad.

That's really the idea. I'm going out to try and bag some rats and get some time in the woods. Jon's guidance and some book learning has given me a foundation to know what to look for identifying bedding areas, food and water sources. Hike in as deep as you can for gun season because the clubs will push the deer in as they drive across the woods. Hopefully I can pick a good spot or at least if unsuccessful I can identify why my spot was bad.

While hunting deer do you use a stand or ground blind? I'm thinking a blind is my only choice because I am WAY too clumsy to deal with a tree stand.

While hunting deer do you use a stand or ground blind? I'm thinking a blind is my only choice because I am WAY too clumsy to deal with a tree stand.

I'm either sitting on the ground in a chair or in a blind. Too fat to be dicking around in a tree. But I'm not a good indicator of success.

So, I picked up an Ultra Slug Hunter in 20ga.  Nicely made, heavy assed gun.  I got 2 boxes of Lightfield Slugs for it.  I never realized that shotgun slugs were so damned expensive.  I figure I'll use one to sight it in and the rest to hunt with. 

As to the sighting in, any suggestions on a scope?  Red dot or conventional?  I have a Weaver Classic 2-7x20 on my rifle and like it but am always open to hearing what someone else has to say. 

I'm getting there, slowly but surely...

C

I would say a 2x7 would be about ideal for NJ terrain and the distance you'd get shots at. I'd guess that most shots would be under 100 yds. anyway. Just my 2c.

As for slugs, wait until after hunting season ends and look around for discounts on the ones you find most accurate in your USH. You may be able to find some good deals. That's usually what I do.

Spoke with the land owner.  Finally.  Lots of phone tag.  I'm going to head out there to meet up, shake hands, and sign off.  He also has several other properties where he hunts and is going to show me around. 

I'm still undecided on a scope for the gun.  Hopefully by the end of this week, I'll have made up my mind.

C

hi, all im new at this, and im totally confused about hunter orange 200sq in.  i'm trying to go deer hunting next month and i'm not sure if i really need updated camo.  i have a set of 5.11 multi-cam shirt, pants, and hat, but no orange in it.  now should i get me a orange cap? or just invest in new camo clothing (that has the orange built in?) thanks for the help

So, I picked up an Ultra Slug Hunter in 20ga.  Nicely made, heavy assed gun.  I got 2 boxes of Lightfield Slugs for it.  I never realized that shotgun slugs were so damned expensive.  I figure I'll use one to sight it in and the rest to hunt with. 

As to the sighting in, any suggestions on a scope?  Red dot or conventional?  I have a Weaver Classic 2-7x20 on my rifle and like it but am always open to hearing what someone else has to say. 

I'm getting there, slowly but surely...

C

Didn't you have this gun for sale a few weeks back??  -- I was pissed I didn't buy it

Either a "blaze orange" vest or a "blaze orange" hat is all you need for deer hunting or small game with muzzle loader or shotgun. FYI "Blaze orange" is an actual color and the CO's actually carry a swatch of material with them to check the shade against yours. If your vest or hat is old and faded it could be a ticket. The reason for this color is that its one of the only colors not reproduced by nature.

The law says either a hat or 200 sq inches, but IMO in NJ especially during 6 day "free for all" the more orange the better. It may just save your life on state land.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

If your hunting migratory birds or turkey, you would want to invest in good camo.

-birds will see the color of your face looking up and avoid your spot if your not careful

Anything that requires hunter orange IMO defeats the purpose of camo, and most of those animals are color blind. But you still want to wear a fabric that breaks up any solid coloring or lines. Different animals require different "stealth" technique. Deer for instance, you want to focus on sound. They have very good hearing, so clothing that doesn't make sound is what you really need.

Something all game requires is good footwear.. i bit the bullet and bought a pair of gore-tex boots, and they were probably the best investment i made.

I'm just getting into waterfowl and it is a very expensive game to hunt. Luckily i have friends that are showing me the ropes. I spent 600 bucks just on camo clothing to stay dry and warm... i still need to get a pair of waders and some game calls. Luckily the guys i go out with have a dog and tons of decoys. finding a group to hunt with can really break up the expense.

know what to look for identifying bedding areas, food and water sources..... at least if unsuccessful I can identify why my spot was bad.

This and how they move, as well as wind direction, are to me, the most important aspects to successfully hunting whitetail.  It will also take you a little time (years) to fully comprehend the bastards.  You'll need to spend time in the woods scouting unless willing to just take your chances with luck...  which is also fine.  Spending time outdoors is time well spent.

Good luck and enjoy!