Dargo72

Use a boresight?

OK, short story.  We purchased a PX4 Storm and have gone to the range twice.  We are wildly inaccurate with it at 15 yds. (Can't bring targets any closer at Range 14).  Now I am pretty darn accurate with my Ruger GP100 at 15yds and while I understand that it is a different gun, I am still surprised at how inaccurate I am with the PX4.  I am so inaccurate that I am not even hitting anywhere near the target.

With the said (and the caveat that I know it is entirely possible that it's me (and wife)) I have a feeling that maybe the sights are off.  Now, have others had that problem with a new firearm?  Also, if that is the case, could I get a bore sight, line up a target with the sights and see where the laser is actually hitting?

I've never used a bore sight before and am just wondering if this is a proper application of its use.

Thank you, and please be gentle.... :p

What ammo are you using?  You try changing it, in case you bought some bad ammo?

Do any of the sights look way off to the side?  Maybe you could post a picture of the sights.

If the sights are roughly centered, and a change of ammo doesn't solve the problem, probably the thing to do is send it back to Beretta for them to look at.

Also, you keeping a firm wrist and hard tight grip when you fire it?  A light polymer frame auto is going to need a firmer grip than a big heavy steel revolver.  Squeeze that grip till you can see the sights shaking from your grip, then back off just a little bit.  Strangulate it.  Keep that wrist firm and solid like iron.

I've had similar issues sighting in a new gun.  Yes, by all means get a bore sighter, and you will save a lot of ammo.  Also, once you get an idea of where your bore is pointing, consider using a really large paper target, either as your primary target or as a backing (as plode noted), so you will be able to see where your misses are going.

If you really think it's your sights, you could have a more experienced shooter try your gun to see what happens.

Bring a friend who is a good shooter with polymer semi-autos. See what he/she thinks. Most of the time it is the shooter, not the gun. A good shooter will be able to tell which it is. No offense intended. Once you are more experienced, you will be able to do the same.

I've had similar issues sighting in a new gun.  Yes, by all means get a bore sighter, and you will save a lot of ammo.  Also, once you get an idea of where your bore is pointing, consider using a really large paper target, either as your primary target or as a backing (as plode noted), so you will be able to see where your misses are going.

If you really think it's your sights, you could have a more experienced shooter try your gun to see what happens.

+1 , did exactly this with a new M&P 9 to find the source of the problem.

Do this fist. Shoot the pistol from a seated position at rest. Literally rest the pistol on the bench when you fire it. Yes it's awkward and you have to lower the target. Pull trigger slowly

If you are missing the target from a bench position it's definitely your sights