gleninjersey

How Often Do You Shoot?

In the colder months, maybe once every month to even every other month....summer will vary, but usually 1-3 times a month.  I haven't gone nearly as much this year as I'd like, due to the inability to replenish all the ammo I'd use...so I've gone to shotgun shootouts as a range day instead of going and using all my rifles and handguns...

It never feels like enough....

I travel about 25 minutes to an indoor range once a month. I'd love to  go more, (correction-I'd REALLY love to join CJRPC) but it presently runs me about $60 a month counting range fee and ammo (I bring my own). I'm also currently saving for my next gun purchase and buying ammo so it's a little tight right now. 

When I first started shooting, I'd go to the Bullet Hole once a week. BH is about 30 mins from my house. Nowadays, I'll be lucky if I go once a month. This is mainly because my preferred range (EFGA) is about 1 hour away. I think that's a good thing because if I had access to an outdoor range within 30 minutes from me, I'd probably still be going once a week and I wouldn't have any ammo left.

Average at least twice a week, sometimes more, but NEVER to just plink or practice.  Only shoot in Competitions (Pistol, Shotgun, Black Powder Pistol, Shotgun and Rifle), UNLESS I guest a friend or relative into the Range.  Live only 10-12 minutes away from Old Bridge and they have so many good activities it's hard not to go!

Dave

Man. Ill tell ya working sucks. Not nearly enough I think i should get nvg's because right now that would be the only time i get to. Maybe its time to practice with my iron open night sights. That could be a whole nother contest. Usually atleast once a week. Normally.

I've got another question for everyone...

When you do get out to the range, how many rounds do you go through? With rifles, I usually go through 200~400 rounds. Handguns, about 100~200 if it's 9mm or a .45ACP. If it's a .44Mag or a .45 Colt, maybe 100 or so. During this past summer I bought my first .22 pistol. I haven't fired it yet, so it'll be interesting to see how much ammo I feel like going through. Also, I must confess to not owning a shotgun right now, but that will soon change.

This year I've only been to the range 3-4 times. I decided to spend my ammo funds differently over the last 8~10 months. Instead of buying a lot of ammo (I already had a pretty decent stash), I've been trying to fill my safe. I've been using my ammo budget to augment my firearm budget.

I'm sure we all have a "Wish List". Mine is fairly modest. This year I've managed to nearly fulfill mine - I really cut my list down a lot.

Going forward, I hope to get back to my usual schedule of hitting the range at least twice a month with rifles and handguns. I'll likely go through a few hundred rounds during each session.

If all goes as planned, I'll have a shotgun to add to the mix in a week or two. We'll see how the round count changes...

I live about 45 minutes from my usual range.

Back in the days or yore, when ammo was 'cheap' and bountiful, I'd often go through 400-900 rounds of .22LR in a single day.  Centerfire, I typically go through fewer than 150 rounds per caliber in a day...  I usually bring one or two centerfire calibers and then finish a day off with some .22LR plinking...

...I miss those days :(

Back in the day of cheap plentiful ammo:

200-400 rds 9mm

120 rds - 5.56

trap - 125 rd of 12 gauge birdshot

Today

150-200 9mm

60 - 5.56

75 - 100 rds for trap

Also frequency of going as stated in my earlier post has changed to 1-2 times a month.