Tallday

LEOSA and Federal Corrections?

Tall, yes yo ucan CCW with BOP.  You MUST complete Glynco first (since thats when you qualify) and then requal every year in ART... LEOSA is very grey so carry at your will but make sure you know your shit.  Most of us carry 9's just because thats what we qual with.  Hollow points at your discretion (again we qual with them but NJ hates you so at your own risk).  Any real questions I would ask to some 8s.  Preferably some SORT or DCT guys that are into guns.  THey will know a little more.  You can speak with your joints Legal people but they will likely brush you off... There are actually a LOT of BOP guys here whether they openly admit it or not ;)

Tall, yes yo ucan CCW with BOP.  You MUST complete Glynco first (since thats when you qualify) and then requal every year in ART... LEOSA is very grey so carry at your will but make sure you know your shit.  Most of us carry 9's just because thats what we qual with.  Hollow points at your discretion (again we qual with them but NJ hates you so at your own risk).  Any real questions I would ask to some 8s.  Preferably some SORT or DCT guys that are into guns.  THey will know a little more.  You can speak with your joints Legal people but they will likely brush you off... There are actually a LOT of BOP guys here whether they openly admit it or not ;)

Thanks for the info!! 

Smoke.....  "Another benefit is he doesnt need to check his gun at the airport... if the pilot will let him carry he can". This only applies if you are on official duty with orders. If you try to bypass TSA under LEOSA you can and will be arrested. LEOSA does not apply to transportation such as airlines,cruise ships etc. Just an FYI

•  
  •  

Smoke..... "Another benefit is he doesnt need to check his gun at the airport... if the pilot will let him carry he can". This only applies if you are on official duty with orders. If you try to bypass TSA under LEOSA you can and will be arrested. LEOSA does not apply to transportation such as airlines,cruise ships etc. Just an FYI

You are correct that LEOSA has nothing to do with a LEO carrying on a commercial flight. AFAIK the on duty with orders applies to state and local LEOs carrying on the plane last I looked. Agents from FBI, DEA, ATF, HSI, Secret Service, ICE, and other Federal agencies can carry all the time on commercial flights on duty or not. There are other requirements they meet to do so. If yours is an agency allowing you to carry all the time on commercial flights they let you know.

Hollow points at your discretion (again we qual with them but NJ hates you so at your own risk). 

The more and more I am reading the 2010 Ammendment to HR 218, I think it's ok'ing the carry of hollowpoints under LEOSA.

http://beta.congress.gov/bill/111th-congress/senate-bill/1132/text

"(2) includes ammunition not expressly prohibited by Federal

law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act; and"

As far as I can dig, the only ammo I can see that's prohibited by Federal Law is armor piercing rounds and rounds that explode on impact.  I believe other ammo is a go... Will change this or add to it if I find more....

Honestly tho... When it comes to LEOSA... the average officer (cop) is not versed on this.  It would be a hassle trying to explain to someone about leosa and the HP issue since NJ thinks they are COP KILLERS! OMG BAN THEM!  stupid.  We may be legally cleared to carry them I just am not sure I want the hassle and hope the my agency would back me.... that puts too much into my agency lol

Honestly tho... When it comes to LEOSA... the average officer (cop) is not versed on this. It would be a hassle trying to explain to someone about leosa and the HP issue since NJ thinks they are COP KILLERS! OMG BAN THEM! stupid. We may be legally cleared to carry them I just am not sure I want the hassle and hope the my agency would back me.... that puts too much into my agency lol

Federal COs are caught in a unique situation. LEOSA covers them for carring off duty. Their agency policy (if I'm correct) doesn't normally cover them for off duty carry. Other Federal agencies like FBI, DEA, Secret Service, HSI, CBP, etc. have policies regarding off duty carry. As long as someone from one of these agencies is carrying within the scope of their agency's policies things like hollowpoints and magazine capacities are not encumbered by any state law.

A Federal CO has to depend on LEOSA for off duty carry. LEOSA permits you to carry a handgun of "the same type of action" you qualified with. If you are an active LEO you only need to carry your ID and not the qualification record retired guys need. Hollowpoints are also permitted under LEOSA. I seriously doubt anyone is goimg to check your ammo once you've identified yourself. If you get in a shooting situation LEOSA will cover you for the ammo as it trumps state law. There may be a hassle before this prevails however.

I understand your reservations about your agency backing you which would normally happen to some degree if they had an off duty carry policy. I would plan on no backing if they are without a policy.

If I were you I would do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I'd say the average cop is better versed in LEOSA than you think. He or she wants to be aware of what they can do out of state.

http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense/

Just use these. Technically, they aren't hollow points. And the only problem with HP's that I read, is if you're shooting through any type of heavy clothing, there's the possibility of the clothing clogging the tip, not allowing it expand, and causing it to act like ball ammo likely resulting in overpenetration. These rounds kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Also, a word to anyone that reads this thread who carrys under LEOSA... I'm sure you already know, but I don't wanna see a fellow LEO get hemmed up for this... If you have to defend yourself, and you fire your weapon.... you are responsible for those rounds (because of course you double tapped).  Even if your life is in danger, and a guy is coming at you with a knife, machete, shotgun, rabid cat, Thor's hammer, whatever, and you shoot him perfectly center mass, but it over penetrates and hits someone behind him... it's going to get very bad for you legality wise... at the VERY LEAST, the 2nd person hit is going to sue you... Therefore, be concious of the ammo going into the weapon as you're holstering up in the morning.

http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense/

Just use these. Technically, they aren't hollow points. And the only problem with HP's that I read, is if you're shooting through any type of heavy clothing, there's the possibility of the clothing clogging the tip, not allowing it expand, and causing it to act like ball ammo likely resulting in overpenetration. These rounds kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Also, a word to anyone that reads this thread who carrys under LEOSA... I'm sure you already know, but I don't wanna see a fellow LEO get hemmed up for this... If you have to defend yourself, and you fire your weapon.... you are responsible for those rounds (because of course you double tapped).  Even if your life is in danger, and a guy is coming at you with a knife, machete, shotgun, rabid cat, Thor's hammer, whatever, and you shoot him perfectly center mass, but it over penetrates and hits someone behind him... it's going to get very bad for you legality wise... at the VERY LEAST, the 2nd person hit is going to sue you... Therefore, be concious of the ammo going into the weapon as you're holstering up in the morning.

Someone comes at me with Thor's Hammer, I am not sure there is a bullet out there that can save you.... being that only the thunder god son of Odin can weild that mighty hammer.... Just saying ;)

Then that wasn't meant for you. Some other departments don't require their people to use the same type of ammo as when on duty. If someone is in one of those departments, they need to just be concious of the type of ammo they're using.

In NJ as LEOs, County and State Correction Officers can carry an off-duty weapon provided they complete an approved Police Training Commission approved academy, per 2C. However agencies can restrict calibers, makes, models and even if they want their guys carrying them at all.