ryan_j

School me on Glocks

Looking to get my first one. I shoot .45 so I might get a Glock 23.

They don't have any manual safeties, correct? So the only safety is between your ears, got it. 

Instead of the 23 I may get a 21 chambered in .40 S&W, but since I have .45 this means stocking an additional caliber. 

Any others I should be looking at? 

Purchase will be a few months from now as I am putting in for the permits at NJSP in the next week or so. 

They are highly reliable even if you don't clean them as often as you shoot.  There are many many aftermarket parts you can get for them.  You could buy a .45cal version and for around $125 get a conversion barrel that would let you fire either .40cal or 9mm from the same gun with a magazine for that size ammo.  All food for thought.

If the choice comes down to 40 vs 9mm get 40 because you can alway convert 40 to 9mm...

If the choice is 40 vs 45 that is just a preference...

I own both a 27 and 22... I had a 23 as well but sold it to get the 22.... I never saw a use of the mid size gun..... If you are gonna carry it go subcompact.... If you are not gonna carry it go full size...... I carry the 27 every day... I Carry loaded one in the chamber... Gun is safe it won't shoot unless you pull the trigger....

They are absurdly reliable... Cheap... And will put the bullet where it should go as long as you do your part...

The 27 is sucky to shoot... But it is a small carry gun...

The 22 is great to shoot especially with light reloads...

The only reason I might want .45 is because I buy ammo for my Springfield so I Won't have to keep two calibers.

Thanks for the advice. Now to get my permits.

Don't get into the mindset of just having one caliber.  Unless you are one of those incase zombies come, hoard one caliber.  Its like eating MRE's only buying MRE's... because that is what you will have in case it happens.

If you have smaller hands, large frame blocks Glocks suck.

Why are you looking at 45 only?

Yes yes, more stopping power but.... it is a shit ton more expensive, less capacity, more recoil, less options.  If you want a 1911, get a 1911.... er, if you want a 45, get a 1911.  If you must have a 45 in a plastic fantastic.... HK 45, FN FNX 45 and M&P 45 are better choices I feel.

If you want a glock, get a Glock 17 or a Glock 19 and be happy.  (9mm).  Cheap ammo, and if you decide you do not like blocks, you can always sell it.  TRY selling a 45 acp or a 40 s&w glock, you will lose a ton more money.  If you want more power, you can always pick up an aftermarket, or a second glock slide/barrel, in 40, 357 sig, or 22 lr.

Glocks are the Toyota Corolla's of the gun world... I will leave it at that.  (and yes, I do have 2 Glocks, a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 Glock 22), and have shot all the rest of them, and owned others in the past. It's a Glock.

They're all good. The 9's and 40's are pretty much the same size in the various size classes; full size, compact and sub compact. So you have the 17 and 22, the 19 and 23, and the 26 and 27. The 27 (subcompact 40) has snappy recoil and is difficult to control. The 45's and 10mm's are built on a larger frame and to me are kind of too big for a carry gun and a little too big for my hand, which is glove size XL. Exceptions to the size parameters are the .45 Model 36 Slimline and the new .45 Model 30 S. These use a slide that is close in size to the slide of the 9mm Model 19. My pick for the best all-around Glock is the Model 19; very shootable and handles like an extension of your hand. It is inexpensive, light, ergonomic and reliable.

45 ACP is more expensive but it is available. I have trouble finding 9mm but I can find .45 nearly everywhere I go. Besides from what I've seen it is not *that* much more expensive.

I do think I might go with .40 S&W though.

This will not always be the case.

During the rushes/scares, I have found 40 to be the most readily avail out there.  Other option is... instead of buying a gun, invest in a reloading setup.  It will pay for itself within some 50 boxes of ammo or a lot less.(or make friends with someone who reloads.)