Blank

Looking for private land to shoot on

As I read the statutes, and I am by no means a lawyer, there are a couple of things to consider;

First, if you have an FID and you are shooting long guns, you can transport them to a safe area that allows safe discharge of firearms.

If you are looking to transport handguns to that location, the statutes allow you to transport ONLY to an authorized club or range with no unnecessary deviations.

Even if my next door neighbor gives me permission to carry a handgun onto his property, I would be in violation of a strict interpretation of the statutes.

Reading this thread depresses me in a way because it shows me how far we've regressed thanks to attitudes and paranoia here in New Jersey. I remember back in the late seventies my brother and I used to shoot on a friend's property in Sussex County. The land butted up to Stokes State Forest, and was less than a mile from the State Police barracks on Rt. 206. We probably used the property until I got married in 1982. Only once did a state park employee walk into the property and ask us what we were doing and ask if we had permission. We had nothing in writing to prove we could, other than our word. No one else ever bothered us. When we were done, we'd stop at the Flatbrook Tap House for a steak sandwich or calzone and a beer or two before the drive home. We were both members of Cherry Ridge at the time but this place was more convenient for us when we went scouting for deer in the mountains or trout fishing. During the spring and summer months we would combine an afternoon of target shooting and then flyfish the night hatch on the Big Flatbrook, then we'd drive home after dark. I guess we may have left our guns locked in the truck. Oh my. The horror!

Yeah, I realize this was more than thirty-five years ago, and times were different back then, but I do miss those days. Only I didn't realize what a lawbreaker I was back then. Older and wiser today, I would never attempt this now. Remembering what that was like only spurs me on to leave this place called New Jersey. The wait now is the only thing killing me.

Reading this thread depresses me in a way because it shows me how far we've regressed thanks to attitudes and paranoia here in New Jersey. I remember back in the late seventies my brother and I used to shoot on a friend's property in Sussex County. The land butted up to Stokes State Forest, and was less than a mile from the State Police barracks on Rt. 206. We probably used the property until I got married in 1982. Only once did a state park employee walk into the property and ask us what we were doing and ask if we had permission. We had nothing in writing to prove we could, other than our word. No one else ever bothered us. When we were done, we'd stop at the Flatbrook Tap House for a steak sandwich or calzone and a beer or two before the drive home. We were both members of Cherry Ridge at the time but this place was more convenient for us when we went scouting for deer in the mountains or trout fishing. During the spring and summer months we would combine an afternoon of target shooting and then flyfish the night hatch on the Big Flatbrook, then we'd drive home after dark. I guess we may have left our guns locked in the truck. Oh my. The horror!

Yeah, I realize this was more than thirty-five years ago, and times were different back then, but I do miss those days. Only I didn't realize what a lawbreaker I was back then. Older and wiser today, I would never attempt this now. Remembering what that was like only spurs me on to leave this place called New Jersey. The wait now is the only thing killing me.

yeah I've seen teens on youtube shooting from the back of their decks & patios in some hick state.   good luck letting your kids play in the backyard.  good luck letting your pets roam free.  good luck with your well water.  LEAD us know...

I feel the same way...Bunch of angry rude dudes...I had land like this a couple years back and it got sold...IT IS Possible, but if you dont ask you'll never know. I am sorry i asked. I guess there is no sense of community here. We all want the same things.

no one's going to let you shoot, even if he had 200 acres with no one around.

it's called liability.

in addition, you are actually polluting the land with lead, especially farm land. 

that's why we all go to the range.

just join the police force.  

they let you shoot anywhere.

robin hood & his merry men of outlaws?

yeah I've seen teens on youtube shooting from the back of their decks & patios in some hick state.   good luck letting your kids play in the backyard.  good luck letting your pets roam free.  good luck with your well water.  LEAD us know...

my sister in law has a friend that lives & fights in Egypt with a RPG launcher.  She said I could shoot a camel if I wanted, which I planned on doing. Is that not allowed?

What the hell is your problem?